Read 2758 times

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Police disarm knife-wielding gangster.
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2022, 07:39:04 pm »
Yeah, ain't that the truth. No real victory here.

I'd gladly trade all manner of humiliation at the hands of Adel on this board if it meant that I had a published book to my name. Let him be right 1000 times and me wrong another 1000 if it would be so.

Sadly, it is not.
Not even a page or two, maybe a paragraph, in the book of love?

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2022, 09:40:52 am »
Not even a page or two, maybe a paragraph, in the book of love?

Just a paragraph? The book of love is long and boring.
"in real life I have a Mensa level IQ. Thatís the opposite of mentally retarded. People have told me Iím the smartest person theyíve ever met. Has anyone said that to you? Probably not."

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2022, 03:07:27 pm »
Cops aren't there to fight duels against suspects. If you can take down a law-breaker by physical force alone, great. But if you are at a size and strength disadvantage, there's no reason for cops to engage in a losing fight. It's about stopping the suspect being a threat efficiently while also affording the suspect the maximum protection allowable while efficiently neutralizing them.

Soldiers signed up to fight battles. That doesn't mean you treat them as cannon fodder or ask them to do tasks with an inordinate amount of risk when a far easier means exists.
This is an ugly truth. At the end of the day, you're going to need a certain type to be a cop. The type that will follow a fleeing murder suspect into a crack den and risk getting the crap beaten out of them. At the same time you have to balance that with an officer not being expected to go Leeroy Jenkins into things and making a situation worse.

The problem is the people on both sides- The Respect my Authoritay and gun em down types and the people who think cops should have superhero skills or can just talk anyone down. Policing is grey, messy and complicated and mistakes are going to be made do to the sheer unpredictability of things and all the variables and you have to have some tolerance for error and learning.
Yeah, a test on science proficiency or math proficiency before studying certain things in university is probably a good idea.

You're just mad because you didn't do well because you aren't really that smart. Things like the LSAT are useful for weeding out certain types, and no it's not just robotic testing and memorization.

If you're failing an exam, that's generally a good sign that you aren't qualified or competent and didn't learn the material.

hangook77, maybe consider the fact that you aren't that bright?

I'm talking about Korea and Asia making you write a hard detailed examination to join the police force or the army here.  When war breaks outs or criminals go nuts, what will they do, hide behind their desk and textbook?  My point is bravery and an instinct to fight doesn't belong in everyone and the army and police back home hire people that are brave (well largely).  An exam is no indication of that and makes no sense here.  It's just nonsensical.  If you can't get that, they you truly are dumb.  As for me, I took enough exams in my university courses ding dong. 

Rote memorization is no sign of intelligence and creativity anyways. 

« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2022, 04:14:52 pm »
I'm talking about Korea and Asia making you write a hard detailed examination to join the police force or the army here.
Yes, in order to be a police officer you will have to demonstrate the ability to not just be brave, but also to process paperwork, adhere to regulations, have attention to detail. Likewise with the army.

You do realize the U.S. Army put everyone through standardized tests during WWII, right? You do realize that officers at West Point and the like have always taken exams, many of them focused on mathematics and testing of mathematical competency, right? You know the Army historically was primarily an engineering outfit, right? You know that part of military training IS rote memorization of concepts and doing physical tasks, right?

Of course you didn't. Why? Because you didn't stop to think. You just spouted off nonsense with no foundation and wrapped some bigotry around it.

When war breaks outs or criminals go nuts, what will they do, hide behind their desk and textbook?
I don't know, Korea's last major military deployment was the Vietnam War and while they certainly had some black marks, none of those were related to cowardice. If anything they were overly ruthless.

An exam is no indication of that and makes no sense here.  It's just nonsensical.  If you can't get that, they you truly are dumb
Are you suggesting that police back home don't take exams or have to memorize things? If so, you are an idiot. You think they just take volunteers and have them do what? Jump through a burning hoop? Fist fight someone?

Rote memorization is no sign of intelligence and creativity anyways.
The ability to remember likely correlates with intelligence. Creativity? Not necessarily. If you look at people in the arts, a surprising number of them were also academically talented and did well on their exams and in testing.

However the people who claim as you have often tend to be neither creative nor intelligent, and in your case, you bear that out. Please share with us your stunning works of creativity and insight.

We get it hangook77, you don't do well at these things and to preserve your pride, your claim that such things aren't a sign of intelligence. That's easier for you to cope with rather than admit to being stunningly average.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2022, 08:59:57 pm »
Just a paragraph? The book of love is long and boring.
So you're a fighter, not a lover?