Read 3680 times

• Jfox_27
  • Newgookin

• December 27, 2012, 12:21:39 am
    • Northern Ireland, Tyrone
Prospective contract - help?
« on: December 27, 2012, 12:24:36 am »
Hi guys and girls,

I'm new to the forum so my apologies if this isn't in the correct section!

My boyfriend and I are newbies to the TEFL game, we are going through a recruiter (Sky recruitment Center), we have been in contact back and forth and they have a job offer for us (pending successful interview of course).

I just wanted to post the job info so the more experienced teachers could tell us if it's a good or bad offer for first timers? This is part of the email they sent to us:

(Couple job option) Seoul Mokdong area.
this school is near Hwagok subway station.

Teaching kinders~elem schoolers
working from 9:00-6:00(2 days a wee)9:00-7:00 pm(3 days a week)
paying 2.1~2.2M
housing(15 mins on foot)/air tickets.
Starting from the end of Feb.
except pension everything is fully standard.
There are 7 more native teachers working for this school.

The recruiter added in a further email that classes were 40-50 minutes and teaching hours are 25-30 per week.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated, as a newbie this can all be a bit overwhelming at times so any advice is welcome!

Thanks,

Joanna

Re: Prospective contract - help?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 12:43:20 am »
Did they list how many classes you'd have to teach per day? If it's more than about five or so the hours sound pretty long.

• Jfox_27
  • Newgookin

• December 27, 2012, 12:21:39 am
    • Northern Ireland, Tyrone
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 01:05:03 am »
No, no word on how many classes, they've just specified the hours.
We are still talking with them so I will ask, thank-you.

In your experience, would you recommend holding off and waiting on more offers if they come through?

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 05:26:22 am »
At first glance this looks like a pretty good offer for  a newbie, especially considering its in the Seoul area.  You are gonna make all the people posting about how there isnothing in Seoul pretty upset.  One thing to verify is that one 40-50 minute class = 1 teaching hour.  the big thing will be to make sure to talk to a former teacher at the school.

• TeachaTeacha
  • Expert Waygook

• September 06, 2012, 03:27:09 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 06:09:57 am »
I don't know. The pay seems awfully low for those hours. I pretty much worked the same hours, 20 minutes outside of Seoul, and the teachers with no experience or teaching degrees started at 2.5 million/month. Are you only interested in Seoul?

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 25, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 06:23:38 am »
If they don't provide pension, then that should be a deal-breaker.
They're legally required to provide it.
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 07:50:02 am »
Pay: Average for a starting salary
Hours: Long and maybe back breaking.

Advice; try and speak to a current teacher to find out how much you'll be working and the general situation at the school.
I would also add that you've not been offered the role yet (or even an interview) so you may not be able to speak to a current teacher at this point.

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 07:56:50 am »
Just seconding JahRhythm.

No pension is illegal.  Don't work for a school the openly breaks the law.  Who knows what else they have up their sleeve.

IF you do take the job, you can still get pension.  All it takes is a call to the pension office.  Pension is a right that you can't waive.*

*There is some discrepancy in nationality.  I believe only South Africans can opt out of pension.  Some nationalities are required to pay into it, but can't receive it when they leave.  Americans and Canadians (and I don't know who else) can collect the full pension amount (both employer and employee contributions) when they leave Korea.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• toddc06
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2011, 10:37:54 am
    • Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 08:03:06 am »
The location is great but the hours are on the long end and the pay is on the low end.  That plus no pension means that you are making less for working more and that your employer is willing to not follow labor laws.  If your employer is not providing pension, you should expect your salary to be higher.