Read 2113 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
This is so sad, why can't people be happy with the way they look.  Asians have their own unique beauty, why change it to look like something you are not.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2021/12/281_320444.html

Now that the annual college entrance exam, the College Scholastic Ability Test (CSAT), is over, hundreds of thousands of students, who will graduate from high school in a couple of months, have a long list of post-exam plans, such as traveling or getting their driver's licenses.

Also included on their to-do list, for some, is getting cosmetic surgery. Unlike in the past, many parents have become supportive of their children's plans to go under the knife to change their looks. Numerous postings can be found online in which parents are making inquiries about beauty clinics. But some experts say that, for teenagers who are not fully grown yet, such a decision should be made very carefully.

"I want double eyelid surgery for my son who finished the CSAT. We plan to go to Apgujeong-dong in Gangnam District, but I want to get as much information as possible before visiting. Could you give me tips, such as how much it costs approximately and the clinics that are reputable?" one mom wrote.

"My niece took the CSAT, and I am glad that she got a good score. She wants to get nose surgery before entering college, as she thinks her hooked nose is a disadvantage, and I told her mom that I would pay for the surgery as a gift for her getting into college. Could you recommend a good clinic in Incheon?" another user wrote.

Plastic surgeon Hur Wu-jin said on the YouTube channel, "Gangnam Eonni," which provides information on plastic surgery, that many people consider their high school senior year as the right time to improve their appearance.

"High school senior year, the third and fourth years of college, and right before getting a job are the peak times for plastic surgery," he said.

"This is because these are the times when one transfers from one social group to another. That's when they can avoid the attention (that comes due to the surgery)."

Since they have more than a couple of months until freshman orientation programs, high school seniors have time to "look natural" after the surgery, the surgeon added. It is thus a peak season not only for cosmetic surgery, but also for dermatology or ophthalmology clinics where they can get laser vision correction surgery.

gettyimagesbank
Signs for plastic surgery clinics are seen in Apgujeong-dong, Gangnam District, Seoul, in this November 2012 file photo. Korea Times file

Clinics are also offering promotions, rolling out discounts for CSAT takers who bring their exam identification slips with them. Often, their parents are also offered discounts on the grounds that they too have done hard work supporting their children.

According to a 2020 survey by Gallup Korea, 89 percent of Koreans believe a person's looks matter either somewhat or a lot in life, while only 11 percent said that they do not. Young women tend to think that how they look matters a lot, while men in their 50s or older were the group that was the least likely to think so. Asked whether having plastic surgery with the goal of getting a job or getting married is acceptable, 67 percent of respondents were positive, while 28 percent said that it was not desirable. In the survey, 25 percent of women in their 20s said that they had undergone plastic surgery, which is lower than the 31 percent in a 2015 survey.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Probably because people, especially men, treat other people, particularly women, incredibly differently based on how they look and people are just being real about it instead of lying to themselves and trying to claim "looks don't matter" either to themselves or in society.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
Probably because people, especially men, treat other people, particularly women, incredibly differently based on how they look and people are just being real about it instead of lying to themselves and trying to claim "looks don't matter" either to themselves or in society.

It's so sad that society has gone down that path.

It's so sad that society has gone down that path.
Society has always been on that path. If you think YOU don't treat people differently based on appearance, than you're either lying to yourself or a fool.

I guarantee this has only gotten bigger since COVID and mask wearing started. Women everywhere are noticing differences with and without masks.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 10:16:55 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
If you think YOU don't treat people differently based on appearance, than you're either lying to yourself or a fool.

Thank you for the kind words as usual.

Can't you comment on anything without coming across as obnoxious and superior?   >:( >:(

If you think YOU don't treat people differently based on appearance, than you're either lying to yourself or a fool.

Thank you for the kind words as usual.

Can't you comment on anything without coming across as obnoxious and superior?   >:( >:(
You don't think you were doing the same thing with- "This is so sad, why can't people be happy with the way they look.  Asians have their own unique beauty, why change it to look like something you are not."

1) Asians don't need your condescending paternalism and judgment.
2) Trying to act like looks don't matter is just so fake. It's one of the fakest things people can claim.   

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
You don't think you were doing the same thing with- "This is so sad, why can't people be happy with the way they look.  Asians have their own unique beauty, why change it to look like something you are not."

1) Asians don't need your condescending paternalism and judgment.
2) Trying to act like looks don't matter is just so fake. It's one of the fakest things people can claim.   

You are a sad, bitter person. How I wish you could just say something civil for once. I just said it is sad that people want to change to something they are not, be they Asian, Black, European or whatever. Each race is unique and each has their own brand of beauty, I just find it sad that people see the need to change that.

You are looking for a fight, as usual, but I am not going to bite, so, have a good day and try to be nice for just once.

You are a sad, bitter person. How I wish you could just say something civil for once.
You're the one an a forum for a country you don't even live in, about a country you profess to have serious issues with, and posting an article about the latest thing they're doing "wrong".  You seem to be the one with a hang-up about this place and things.

I just said it is sad that people want to change to something they are not, be they Asian, Black, European or whatever. Each race is unique and each has their own brand of beauty, I just find it sad that people see the need to change that.
Oh please. Spare us this "poor little me, I was just being sympathetic" routine. You were here to once again post something that Korea is doing badly. Not only that but we got the paternalistic, judgmental tone.

But all that is forgivable, what really is lame is that you can't even admit that people judge everyone based off looks and you do it too. Would you have dated your wife if she weighed 100 kg and her hair was already greying? F no you wouldn't have. So spare me this crap about people being superficial and how you are above it all.

Don't come here lying to us and lying to yourself.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
But all that is forgivable, what really is lame is that you can't even admit that people judge everyone based off looks and you do it too. Would you have dated your wife if she weighed 100 kg and her hair was already greying? F no you wouldn't have. So spare me this crap about people being superficial and how you are above it all.

i mean, sure, people def notice if somebody is malformed or aging badly, etc. but i do think that most places if you're average-looking you can get by just fine without needing to go under the knife to correct little bits and pieces (assuming you aren't trying to be a model or anything). 

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
I think it is great. If people want to change themselves, why not. We
are on the cusp of genetically engineered babies anyway. This initially
sounds bad, but it will eliminate many congenital defects that have
plagued humans for millennia.

Fast forward a few decades and genetically engineered babies born
with high IQs, great physical attributes, low susceptibility to disease,
etc., etc. will be the norm to those that can afford it.

So, in comparison, a little plastic surgery is immaterial.

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Sierra Leone

Haha

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
I think it is great. If people want to change themselves, why not. We
are on the cusp of genetically engineered babies anyway. This initially
sounds bad, but it will eliminate many congenital defects that have
plagued humans for millennia.

Fast forward a few decades and genetically engineered babies born
with high IQs, great physical attributes, low susceptibility to disease,
etc., etc. will be the norm to those that can afford it.

Someone read Harrison Bergeron. 

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
There’s plastic surgery and then there’s all the Korean women just looking like clones of each other. “The Clone Bores”.

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Sierra Leone

There’s plastic surgery and then there’s all the Korean women just looking like clones of each other. “The Clone Bores”.

Yeah, the Miss Korea contest.  They all look the same.

Waaay skinny and hawt.

• Savant
  • The Legend

Yeah, the Miss Korea contest.  They all look the same.

Waaay skinny and hawt.

That’s why they need numbers as they all look the same.

i mean, sure, people def notice if somebody is malformed or aging badly, etc. but i do think that most places if you're average-looking you can get by just fine without needing to go under the knife to correct little bits and pieces (assuming you aren't trying to be a model or anything).
To put it crudely- would going from a 5 to a 6 change someone's life drastically? Maybe not. But what about going from a 6 to an 8? You can take some pretty big leaps.

And the difference is especially noticeable in how women are treated. The way guys react and the things they'll do varies tremendously depending on attractiveness. It's not right but it IS a thing and I think it's a bit silly to pretend it doesn't exist or that someone is "above it all".

• Savant
  • The Legend

Make-up and the clothes they wear can make Korean women go from a 5 to a 6-8. Don’t need surgery for it.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
That’s why they need numbers as they all look the same.

You do realize you are hurting the feelings of Mr DM.   ;D ;D

• Savant
  • The Legend

You do realize you are hurting the feelings of Mr DM.   ;D ;D

Nah, I think you're confusing feeling with obsession.

• JNM
  • Waygook Lord

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
#youreNotUglyJustPoor