Read 8369 times

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Boosters available Wednesday!
« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2022, 01:39:58 am »
A lot of advice on here can be taken with a grain of salt since it comes mostly from people with nothing but time of their hands. Plenty of people do jobs that require actual hard work with long hours rather than just downloading PPT presentations and then clicking a mouse.

Wouldn't it be cool if carpenters or plumbers could just download a photo of what something looks like without actually having to build/install it?

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #201 on: January 15, 2022, 03:30:31 am »
A lot of advice on here can be taken with a grain of salt since it comes mostly from people with nothing but time of their hands. Plenty of people do jobs that require actual hard work with long hours rather than just downloading PPT presentations and then clicking a mouse.

Wouldn't it be cool if carpenters or plumbers could just download a photo of what something looks like without actually having to build/install it?

This is true. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have enough free time to spend at the gym. That said, I find a lot the gym compatriots at my local gym that work long hours in rather diverse professions find the time for exercise most mornings by arriving at about 6am and departing by about 7.30. Sure, I'm usually more hard core myself, rockin up at about 4.30 am, but my lifestyle offers much greater freedom in my daily routine. 
That said, exercise is only part of the equation. When I lived in Korea, my greatest challenge was avoiding fast convenience food. Since returning home though, one of the greatest benefits would have to be the availability,  variety and convenience of access to fresh inexpensive produce allowing one to easily prepare their own food. In Korea though, it was hard enough just finding a decent healthy loaf of whole meal bread, let alone anything decent enough to put on a sandwich.

However since returning home, I don't think I've eaten at McDonalds for at least a couple of years, but I do recall treating myself to KFC once last year. 

• Adel
  • The Legend

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #202 on: January 15, 2022, 06:04:43 am »
Solution: become quadruple vaccinated. Right?

A combination of vaccination, test trace isolate quarantine (TTIQ)  and continued social distancing measures, for the foreseeable future. That said , the IQ in the TTIQ needs refining a little with more widespread use of rapid antigen tests (RATs) as it's creating havoc for critical supply chains at present.

This TTIQ strategy is really becoming an issue with the Omicron surge as it's becoming increasingly difficult to use logistically intensive PCR testing with so many infections and limited availability of RATs.
Skip to 1min 50sec mark of this video for an explanation of it in parts of Canada.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRycK82LsTE&t=1452s
It has been a massive problem in Australia, as PCR tests have been rationed and are eventually being replaced in favour of RATs once they become more available.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 06:06:52 am by Adel »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2022, 08:23:08 am »
Of course the only way to get people to ditch bad habits is for them to recognise they're doing themselves harm and stop doing it.
That's not fat shaming.  :rolleyes:

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #204 on: January 15, 2022, 08:34:18 am »
Is saying obesity is correlated with worse Covid outcomes fat shaming? Would that cause people to eat more food, thus becoming fatter due to feeling bad more than it would spur people to lose weight? Seems like it wouldn’t.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #205 on: January 15, 2022, 08:36:13 am »
Don't know dude but that sounds kind of old school.  I'm much more in favour of inadvertent fat shaming when it comes to people who are capable of doing better.  I mean, I'm sure most people feel completely inferior when they witness my rock hard glutes, broad shoulders and solid pecs,  but I try to encourage them with positive advice like 'you've got to really suffer a lot to look this good'.   ;D

I don't know what more can be done. But fat people have to want to help themselves. If they don't care that their obesity can lead to a whole myriad of future health problems then that's on them. Yes, it takes willpower and will be hard but if the options are death or living then you've kind of got to make an effort. Take baby steps: go for a walk instead of sinking into the sofa with a KFC bucket to watch the latest episode of "The Voice" or at least take the KFC bucket on the walk with you /snark.

« Reply #206 on: January 15, 2022, 08:57:08 am »
That's not fat shaming.  :rolleyes:

Like most negative terms thesedays that would all depend on your perspective and a person's feelings. Just using the word 'fat' instead of 'big' or 'large' would be considered fat shaming by some people.

According to the dictionary fat shaming is mocking or criticising someone because of their weight. So how is telling someone they're fat because they eat too much of the wrong food and don't exercise enough and it's entirely their own fault (unless they have a medical condition, obviously) not being critical? But that's what people have to accept before they can properly change.

And no, people shouldn't go saying this to random strangers but to people they care about or come to them for professional advice.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 09:13:39 am by grimlock2 »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #207 on: January 15, 2022, 10:17:51 am »
Vegans have the lowest BMI and fewest heart attacks. So skip the sausages, beef, pork, chicken, fish, butter, milk and cheese.

Sorry. I am not fat shaming. I guess I'm health shaming?

If so, then so too are those who speak of obesity-related scientific research.

Fat shaming used to be about making fun of individuals, pointing a finger at someone, not spouting science.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #208 on: January 15, 2022, 10:25:12 am »
Vegans have the lowest BMI and fewest heart attacks. So skip the sausages, beef, pork, chicken, fish, butter, milk and cheese.

Sorry. I am not fat shaming. I guess I'm health shaming?

If so, then so too are those who speak of obesity-related scientific research.

Fat shaming used to be about making fun of individuals, pointing a finger at someone, not spouting science.

Vegans have a higher risk of strokes than meat-eaters according to a quick google into scientific research.

Eat in moderation seems to be the way. Have your steak but have it with a lot of vegetables, maybe, with a sweet potato instead of fries. Eat fruit everyday and drinks lots of water.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #209 on: January 15, 2022, 10:28:40 am »
Is saying obesity is correlated with worse Covid outcomes fat shaming? Would that cause people to eat more food, thus becoming fatter due to feeling bad more than it would spur people to lose weight? Seems like it wouldn’t.

No, but promoting fat shaming in red ink is.

Fat shaming fxxking works! It worked on me. It was hurtful but I'm happier and healthier because of it. And the look on their faces is priceless.

Fat shaming is how I got my life together. It wakes you up big time. I do enjoy food in moderation but I was shamed for trying to kill the father my daughter deserves. I have cut off the people who encouraged that bad lifestyle becus now they shame me for now being a Chad.

Most people without some form of cognitive deficit would understand that.

« Reply #210 on: January 15, 2022, 10:34:56 am »
Im not fat, im husky, and Im brave for it. Anyone can eat right and exercise, but Im bold for being rather stout.
Join the WhenInRome Fan Club!
Shout out to Mr. DeMartino... the first member. Thank you my son! ;)

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2022, 10:40:11 am »
No, but promoting fat shaming in red ink is.

Most people without some form of cognitive deficit would understand that.

That was other people’s comments. They said it worked. This was posted in response to an assertion fat shaming makes people fatter. Does it? Seems it also makes people thinner. It does in some cases. Quite a few. Do you even care about what is true or are just an ideologue not open to changing his mind?

« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2022, 10:51:39 am »
I think Lizzo is really brave!

People say I look like Lizzo!... If Lizzo had eaten Lizzo...

So I'm extra brave ;)

That's what my non-binary partner tells me. :)
Join the WhenInRome Fan Club!
Shout out to Mr. DeMartino... the first member. Thank you my son! ;)

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2022, 12:10:43 pm »
Like most negative terms thesedays that would all depend on your perspective and a person's feelings. Just using the word 'fat' instead of 'big' or 'large' would be considered fat shaming by some people.

According to the dictionary fat shaming is mocking or criticising someone because of their weight. So how is telling someone they're fat because they eat too much of the wrong food and don't exercise enough and it's entirely their own fault (unless they have a medical condition, obviously) not being critical? But that's what people have to accept before they can properly change.

And no, people shouldn't go saying this to random strangers but to people they care about or come to them for professional advice.

Ah, OK.

Just to clarify, I don't think that what LI or anybody else on this thread are saying should be considered fat shaming.

Relating information about the benefits of a healthy life style and a good BMI is entirely beneficial and only the most sensitive individuals (and people looking for something to argue about) would consider that to be fat shaming.

While LI's writing style can come across as insensitive at times, I certainly wasn't accusing him of fat shaming.

This was posted in response to an assertion fat shaming makes people fatter. Does it? Seems it also makes people thinner. It does in some cases. Quite a few. Do you even care about what is true or are just an ideologue not open to changing his mind?
Did you click the links?
 Actual fat shaming has long been known to be counterproductive. There are have been many long term studies on the topic.
It might be effective for some individuals - you mentioned a few examples, and I have no reason to believe that it wasn't true in their case - but on a statistical level it has been shown to be ineffective. Read the studies if you're interested in learning why.

Please note, this relates to weight related harassment and citisism (Ie" You're so fat that you have two zip codes. It makes you ugly. Like you hit every branch falling out of the ugly tree. Lose weight!") not explaining the benefits of healthy living. That's a-OK.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 12:21:41 pm by Kyndo »

« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2022, 12:29:50 pm »
"Korean people are unhealthy skinny."- Someone with a life expectancy 10 years less and risk of serious health complications 40% greater based on weight and diet who has convinced themselves that hospitals are overflowing with slender people, not the pudgy.

Because Japan is renowned for its low life expectancy and health issues or something...

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2022, 01:11:55 pm »
Obesity is a disability? Well, it doesn’t have to be permanent. One can change from disabled to abled in the majority of cases. I hope more people around the world will lessen their number of comorbidities through lifestyle change. That’d be better for both them and society at large.
I'm just waiting for your source, statistics or evidence on this statement.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2022, 01:20:30 pm »
In the context of obesity being a disability, it is absolutely true. Less calories equals less weight.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #217 on: January 15, 2022, 02:24:59 pm »
MOD note: (several personal attack posts deleted)

Instead of insulting the person, criticize the idea. This isn't Twitter. We are not to tolerate personal attacks.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2022, 02:37:05 pm »
Vegans have a higher risk of strokes than meat-eaters according to a quick google into scientific research.

Eat in moderation seems to be the way. Have your steak but have it with a lot of vegetables, maybe, with a sweet potato instead of fries. Eat fruit everyday.....
Agreed with all except "have your steak".

Vegans have more hemorrhagic strokes (the bleeding kind) but less ischemic strokes (the blockage kind). True.

But A LOT more people die of heart attacks than strokes and vegans have significantly less heart attacks than beef eaters. This is fact. There are so many studies showing it. Google the science.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2022, 11:45:22 am »
Everybody dies of something, vegan or not. I think a better comparison would be to look at average life expectancy of the 2 groups.
... Although, given that the popular vegan lifestyle is still in its infancy, it might be difficult to get stats on vegan mortality.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:47:18 am by Kyndo »