Read 8374 times

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Boosters available Wednesday!
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2022, 02:03:59 pm »
First thing that jumps in my head, or anyone's head, when they think of gogators!- compassionate.

Compared to LI, my left shoe is compassionate.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2022, 02:18:13 pm »
Life saving advice is compassion. Quality of life improving advice is compassion. Those who react angrily and defensively towards it have issues. Itís just information.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2022, 02:41:26 pm »
Life saving advice is compassion. Quality of life improving advice is compassion. Those who react angrily and defensively towards it have issues. Itís just information.

1) it's bad information.
2) Dude, "One can change from disabled to abled in the majority of cases." is not life saving advice, it is some bizarre fantasy or something.  I should tell my friend, "You really should just give up that Crohn's Disease" or my nephew, "Hey, when you got that cancer when you were a teenager, that was a poor choice, but happily you can change.  This highly compassionate, all-knowing guy on the internet says so." "Psst, Tammy Duckworth, if you really tried, you could re-grow your legs."
3) I would like to see your stats on "the majority" of disabled people, O Compassionate One.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #183 on: January 14, 2022, 02:44:41 pm »
Thank god for Li. Truly a lifesaver. Where would we be without his sagely and insightful advice.
Who would have thought losing a weight and adopting a healthier life-style would be a good idea?  :rolleyes:
I must tell my sister that after her next bout of chemo and after she rides her bike 100kms over the weekend.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 02:51:16 pm by Adel »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #184 on: January 14, 2022, 02:49:24 pm »
But you're not offering life saving advice. You're telling hard truths to people (us) who already very much already aware of them and are probably already acting on it. Thus, rather than giving unpleasant but important advice, you're just reiterating unpleasant things that we already know and would rather not dwell on.
The effectiveness of information often depends on the format on which it's delivered.

Yes, maintaining good physical condition *is* important. Yes, it absolutely *does* bolsters our immune systems and will help us survive viral infections. 100% true, undeniably so. But repeating these facts shows a certain tone-deafness that can be construed as a lack of compassion.
  It might be to your benefit to address the issue from a lateral approach: rather than stating "people who choose to be in poor health are more likely to experience more extreme covid19 symptoms", it might be more socially-acceptable -- and beneficial -- to think of effective strategies that would correct correct the issue.

After all, research has proven time and time again that "fat-shaming" is actually *counter-productive*. Motivation for self improvement is very closely linked to ego and self-worth: undermine the one, and you undermine the other.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2022, 03:02:57 pm »
Those who take offense to weight loss advice are overweight. Itís obvious. Those who take offense to messages about how alcohol is harmful are beer drinkers. Also obvious. They are angrily denying what Iím saying is true. Then when that doesnít work, resort to other attacks.

About the other bit, I guess someone switched words that have loose definitions. We were originally talking about comorbidities. Are those disabilities? And what is a disability? Thereís a hell of a lot that people can change thatís under their control. Bringing up outlier cases to shut down discussion, thus retarding progress isnít compassionate.

Those studiesÖ donít seem to be correct. Read a bit; looks flawed. Look at places with body positivity. Obesity goes up. Conversely, East Asia is the opposite.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2022, 03:09:38 pm »
Why is it OK to say, ďThose who didnít get the vaccine deserve to die,Ē as many posters have been saying, often the same ones who say I lack compassion. Thatís really cruel. I donít wish death or sickness on anyone.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2022, 03:18:58 pm »
After all, research has proven time and time again that "fat-shaming" is actually *counter-productive*.

It hasnít though. I read some of those SJW ďstudiesĒ. Used words like may and could be. Surveyed people.

Iím not saying to fat shame, but it does appear to work. Look at adults in Korea.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #188 on: January 14, 2022, 03:25:51 pm »
Those who take offense to weight loss advice are overweight. Itís obvious. Those who take offense to messages about how alcohol is harmful are beer drinkers. Also obvious. They are angrily denying what Iím saying is true. Then when that doesnít work, resort to other attacks.

About the other bit, I guess someone switched words that have loose definitions. We were originally talking about comorbidities. Are those disabilities? And what is a disability? Thereís a hell of a lot that people can change thatís under their control. Bringing up outlier cases to shut down discussion, thus retarding progress isnít compassionate.

Those studiesÖ donít seem to be correct. Read a bit; looks flawed. Look at places with body positivity. Obesity goes up. Conversely, East Asia is the opposite.

I'm just wondering if you'd find posters constantly offering therapy advice for individuals suffering autism and suggesting the screening of foreigners for obvious mental issues before providing E2 visa would be a good idea?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #189 on: January 14, 2022, 03:27:26 pm »
Yeah, I donít have autism, nor am I a moron, as you often asserted. Nice try, o compassionate one.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #190 on: January 14, 2022, 03:30:11 pm »
Yeah, I donít have autism, nor am I a moron, as you often asserted. Nice try, o compassionate one.
So I guess you wouldn't have a problem with therapy advice and screening foreigners, is that how you were trying to answer that question?

But seriously, a lot of us would have an alternative opinion.
The first step is acknowledging there is a problem. 

https://exceptionalindividuals.com/candidates/neurodiversity-resources/neurodiversity-quizzes/autism-quiz-test/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 03:33:45 pm by Adel »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #191 on: January 14, 2022, 04:40:29 pm »
It hasnít though. I read some of those SJW ďstudiesĒ. Used words like may and could be. Surveyed people.

Iím not saying to fat shame, but it does appear to work. Look at adults in Korea.
LI, shame on you. You didn't fact check at all, did you?
There has been tonnes of research into this exact topic, and there's a pretty clear consensus: fat shaming directly causes a negative impact on health and often leads to weight gain.
Here are some articles on the topic, all from very reputable sources (ie not SJW sources):

"Fat Shaming is making people sicker and heavier"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6565398/
"ďFat ShamingĒ Wonít Solve Obesity. Science Might."
https://labblog.uofmhealth.org/body-work/fat-shaming-wont-solve-obesity-science-might
"The Scarlet F: Why Fat Shaming Harms Health"
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/magazine/magazine_article/the-scarlet-f/
"The Harmful Effects of Fat Shaming"
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fat-shaming-makes-things-worse
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 04:42:26 pm by Kyndo »

« Reply #192 on: January 14, 2022, 05:47:52 pm »
Counterpoint: East Asia vs. the West in attitudes towards obesity and how people treat each other when it comes to obesity and outcomes related to obesity.

Sometimes lab experiments by scientists can be blind to the obvious and miss things.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #193 on: January 14, 2022, 06:09:27 pm »
Reading the comments:

My Korean karate instructor told me one day, "You are getting fat!" I took a look at myself and realized he was right. I changed my lifestyle and lost weight and never have been fat since. I never felt anything but gratitude for that man saying that to me.
________

Yeah, Koreans do this, I think it is bad ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hUbTwOErTk

I was fat until I got a new Dr. at 15. the old wise Korean Doctor said "You're a male you're not supposed to have breasts.."
I lost all the weight and told him he's the greatest Doctor I ever had.
Other Doctors would just blame my parents for bringing in the grocery's and it never helped anything.. Go figure

________

Those Korean doctors will give it to you straight.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #194 on: January 14, 2022, 06:24:09 pm »
Fat shaming fxxking works! It worked on me. It was hurtful but I'm happier and healthier because of it. And the look on their faces is priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_UXyBkA-Z0

Fat shaming is how I got my life together. It wakes you up big time. I do enjoy food in moderation but I was shamed for trying to kill the father my daughter deserves. I have cut off the people who encouraged that bad lifestyle becus now they shame me for now being a Chad.

« Reply #195 on: January 14, 2022, 08:31:24 pm »
LI, shame on you. You didn't fact check at all, did you?
There has been tonnes of research into this exact topic, and there's a pretty clear consensus: fat shaming directly causes a negative impact on health and often leads to weight gain.
Here are some articles on the topic, all from very reputable sources (ie not SJW sources):

"Fat Shaming is making people sicker and heavier"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6565398/
"ďFat ShamingĒ Wonít Solve Obesity. Science Might."
https://labblog.uofmhealth.org/body-work/fat-shaming-wont-solve-obesity-science-might
"The Scarlet F: Why Fat Shaming Harms Health"
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/magazine/magazine_article/the-scarlet-f/
"The Harmful Effects of Fat Shaming"
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fat-shaming-makes-things-worse

You guys are f..ing dillusional. Of course the only way to get people to ditch bad habits is for them to recognise they're doing themselves harm and stop doing it.  People just aren't going to do that if they blame someone or something else, it's common sense.

If you poll obese people, of course they'll say fat shaming doesn't work. The only way to survey it properly would be to poll people who have lost a lot of weight and kept it off.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 08:44:51 pm by grimlock2 »

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #196 on: January 14, 2022, 08:47:03 pm »
I'm all for fat-shaming fat people - not the Korean idea of fat-shaming, in that, you're fat if not really thin.

If you spend your whole life eating fast-food and can't work because you're just too f@cking fat then I don't want my taxpayer money paying for any treatment that fatto needs because of overeating. The idea that those fattos needs to pay for 2 airline seats also works for me; hell, they should be forced to pay for a whole row.

If it's a medical condition that causes someone to put weight on then that's fine. But if you're fat because you just eat unhealthy food and don't exercise then get off your fat f@cking ass and do something about it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 08:48:36 pm by Savant »

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2022, 08:58:29 pm »
Obesity is a disability? Well, it doesnít have to be permanent. One can change from disabled to abled in the majority of cases. I hope more people around the world will lessen their number of comorbidities through lifestyle change. Thatíd be better for both them and society at large.
I'm just repeating what was the main thrust of the article you linked to. Did you read the article?

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2022, 09:09:14 pm »
Fat shaming doesn't have a chance against Madison Ave. It's the billions of dollars spent getting people to eat too much of foods that fatten you up and clog your arteries that's at work here, not laziness. Don't forget the industries created to cater to the obese, from diet companies to clothing manufacturers.

There are many studies on how diets and will power don't work. Even when people lose weight it too often comes back.

It takes a complete change of lifestyle which many can't do in their current circumstances.

It's a tough, tough road to hoe and I feel for those in that situation. But it is disgusting when you see obese parents with obese children. They've passed on their eating habits rather than teaching their children to learn from their mistakes.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2022, 01:33:30 am »
I'm all for fat-shaming fat people - not the Korean idea of fat-shaming, in that, you're fat if not really thin.

If you spend your whole life eating fast-food and can't work because you're just too f@cking fat then I don't want my taxpayer money paying for any treatment that fatto needs because of overeating. The idea that those fattos needs to pay for 2 airline seats also works for me; hell, they should be forced to pay for a whole row.

If it's a medical condition that causes someone to put weight on then that's fine. But if you're fat because you just eat unhealthy food and don't exercise then get off your fat f@cking ass and do something about it.

Don't know dude but that sounds kind of old school.  I'm much more in favour of inadvertent fat shaming when it comes to people who are capable of doing better.  I mean, I'm sure most people feel completely inferior when they witness my rock hard glutes, broad shoulders and solid pecs,  but I try to encourage them with positive advice like 'you've got to really suffer a lot to look this good'.   ;D