Read 1323 times

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
Re: Help with getting home.. a guide for leaving Korea
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2021, 07:13:44 am »

After 14 years, IIRC, it was about $100K.

That's a decent chunk of change. Putting that into a good investment a few years
ago, like real estate or crypto, would have been great. (Assuming that you didn't
do this already.) By the time I retire I will have been paying into the Korean system
for 35 years. My actual monthly salary fluctuates, but my reported salary for tax
and pension is about 36M per year. I would love to know what my monthly
pension payout will be at 65.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2021, 10:29:30 am »
That's a decent chunk of change. Putting that into a good investment a few years
ago, like real estate or crypto, would have been great. (Assuming that you didn't
do this already.) By the time I retire I will have been paying into the Korean system
for 35 years. My actual monthly salary fluctuates, but my reported salary for tax
and pension is about 36M per year. I would love to know what my monthly
pension payout will be at 65.

They don't send you a statement annually? 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2021, 10:32:20 am »
They don't send you a statement annually? 

Yeah, I just got one a few days ago in the mail.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2021, 11:05:05 am »
For those who are interested, here is a site that takes you through a step-by-step process of how to find your current NPS contribution status.
https://hangangmagazine.com/how-to-check-korean-national-pension/

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Sierra Leone
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2021, 11:26:35 am »
For those who are interested, here is a site that takes you through a step-by-step process of how to find your current NPS contribution status.
https://hangangmagazine.com/how-to-check-korean-national-pension/

As soon as I saw this it was a "no way".

STEP 2

Download these “security” programs. Every financial institution here
makes you download these annoying ActiveX programs. I would do
this at a PC bang or your work’s computer.

I like my computer too much to download this kind of 90s crap on to it.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2021, 11:30:28 am »
I know, right?
Just do it on your school/work computer. It's full of bloatware anyway. :)

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Sierra Leone
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2021, 01:15:51 pm »
I know, right?
Just do it on your school/work computer. It's full of bloatware anyway. :)

My local tax office is just around the corner from me. I can just go there and ask.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2021, 02:23:28 pm »
Lucky! No tax offices in my eup that I know of. Unless.. do you think it might be part of the city hall / town-office? I should check one of these days.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2021, 03:56:22 pm »
I am in a town that houses the county office, right across the street from my apartment.

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2022, 10:17:29 pm »
I know I said on the music thread that was my last post but.....

As I learn how to leave myself I think it's good if I share all the paperwork and activities I need to complete in order to leave Korea comfortably, and perhaps that can help others.

So..... as you know you will need a record of your vaccinations and perhaps boosters you must give to the airline carrier..... just go to a local clinic bogeonso...보건소 (local health clinic)  and request for all your vaccination information IN ENGLISH (give your ARC).  They will give you a slip of paper confirming your vaccinations and/or boosters you have received here.  Request this in English.

REMEMBER YOU WILL STILL NEED TO VISIST A TESTING CENTER WITHIN 72 HOURS OF YOUR FLIGHT AND GET A COVID TEST...

I still don't know how to get a slip of paper to prove I am Covid-Free (I just get a text in Korean proving this)....I am leaving March 2nd (March 1st is a holiday)....I am still wondering how I can get this slip of paper before my flight...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 10:19:14 pm by dippedinblush »

• JNM
  • Waygook Lord

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2022, 10:50:20 pm »
I cashed out my pension (4.5 years) when I left Korea. I had a few months of unemployment, so it came in handy.

When I left the Canadian public service after 10 years, I took my pension out and invested it myself. This was January 2008, so I took a 13% haircut this year.  BUT the money is mine, and I don’t rely on the government pension policy (they have raided the pension fund before!)

It is still held as a “pre tax” fund (called RRSP), which as a non-resident, I can withdraw it tax free as soon as I am done paying child support.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 10:55:15 pm by JNM »

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2022, 10:52:36 pm »
I know I said on the music thread that was my last post but.....

As I learn how to leave myself I think it's good if I share all the paperwork and activities I need to complete in order to leave Korea comfortably, and perhaps that can help others.

So..... as you know you will need a record of your vaccinations and perhaps boosters you must give to the airline carrier..... just go to a local clinic bogeonso...보건소 (local health clinic)  and request for all your vaccination information IN ENGLISH (give your ARC).  They will give you a slip of paper confirming your vaccinations and/or boosters you have received here.  Request this in English.

REMEMBER YOU WILL STILL NEED TO VISIST A TESTING CENTER WITHIN 72 HOURS OF YOUR FLIGHT AND GET A COVID TEST...

I still don't know how to get a slip of paper to prove I am Covid-Free (I just get a text in Korean proving this)....I am leaving March 2nd (March 1st is a holiday)....I am still wondering how I can get this slip of paper before my flight...
If going to the US, the test has to be taken one day in advance and not 72 hours.

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2022, 11:24:54 pm »
Jeez how can you do that when it's a holiday?

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2022, 11:40:42 pm »
I am leaving on March 2 (Wednesday).  Holiday is March 1.  When and how should I get the proof of Covid negative test? Usually they send me a text in Korean the next day (I've had 3 of them) but how would I go and get proof on a holiday if I'm leaving the next day?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 11:45:26 pm by dippedinblush »

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2022, 12:29:12 am »
I am leaving on March 2 (Wednesday).  Holiday is March 1.  When and how should I get the proof of Covid negative test? Usually they send me a text in Korean the next day (I've had 3 of them) but how would I go and get proof on a holiday if I'm leaving the next day?

To travel to the US the results have to be in English.

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2022, 02:08:05 am »
I'm Canadian..

• JNM
  • Waygook Lord

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2022, 03:52:57 am »
I'm Canadian..
… French would work too.

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2022, 07:21:22 am »

No, you can't use the free test for travel purposes. You need to visit a designated hospital or test center, pay 80k-120k depending on the location, and they will give you a proper document that foreign countries and airlines accept.

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2022, 08:46:12 am »

The Facebook Covid19 discussion page has lots of useful information.  There is a testing centre at Incheon that you can book an appointment for before your flights.  They will also issue you a paper certificate if you need it.  You can choose an antigen or PCR test based on what Canada requires.  U.S. only requires an antigen, so it's cheaper.  I think it's open everyday, including holidays.  Is your flight a morning or afternoon one?