has:

Chewing gum-flavored Juicy Fresh Beer

and

Freshwater Snail Beer

Now I love beer and I think it's great that microbrew has taken off
in this country, but really.

Re: Chewing Gum-flavored Juicy Fresh Beer
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 01:22:33 pm »
Korea doesn't do something western, people here bitch about it.
Korea copies something western, people here bitch about them for copying it.
Korea takes something western and does their own twist on it, people bitch about it.

Who gives a shit if they make snail beer or not? Or if they only serve Cass? Or if they try and duplicate Magic Hat or Guinness? Just order your fing beer.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 01:22:58 pm »
Dry retching at the thought.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 01:49:55 pm by Kurt Sorensen »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 01:29:19 pm »
Who gives a shit if they make snail beer or not? Or if they only serve Cass? Or if they try and duplicate Magic Hat or Guinness? Just order your fing beer.
That is what guys back home say in the bar. No beer connoisseurs. If it tastes like piss, order something else.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 01:33:27 pm »
Korea takes something western and does their own twist on it, people bitch about it.

nobody is "bitching" about anything. pretty sure spqr even mentions that he's happy microbrew has taken off, just pointing out that those two flavors are a tad bit weird. are you doing a bit here, or is it just that you feel the need to blow everything wildly out of proportion? the propaganda must really be getting to your head if you find somebody laughing about some weird beer flavors to be an assault on korea's national honor, or whatever.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 01:43:17 pm »
nobody is "bitching" about anything. pretty sure spqr even mentions that he's happy microbrew has taken off, just pointing out that those two flavors are a tad bit weird. are you doing a bit here, or is it just that you feel the need to blow everything wildly out of proportion? the propaganda must really be getting to your head if you find somebody laughing about some weird beer flavors to be an assault on korea's national honor, or whatever.
Lemme think.

Nah.

You can't just reflexively bitch in every direction the person goes. Also, when it comes to beer, just shut up and order. Beer snobs are starting to sound like the women Bill Burr mocked during his stand up who have inane conversations about their brunch meal. Instead of "Is that Pesto in your omelet?" It's "Is that barley-infused? Oh it's barley-malt pressed, not infused. Do you hear that Dave? I thought it was infused." Just order your beer, be it Budweiser or a craft beer and if it tastes good, just say it tastes good and I should give it a try. And if tastes like shit stop pretending it tastes good because it comes from some microbrew when the perfectly good shit-tasting beer that costs 3,000 won a bottle is sitting right there and will achieve the same overall purpose of getting you wasted.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 01:46:16 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 01:45:16 pm »
Lemme think.

Nah.

You can't just reflexively bitch in every direction the person goes. Also, when it comes to beer, just shut up and order. Beer snobs are starting to sound like the women Bill Burr mocked during his stand up who have inane conversations about their brunch meal. Instead of "Is that Pesto in your omelet?" It's "Is that barley-infused? Oh it's barley-malt pressed, not infused. Do you hear that Dave? I thought it was infused." Just order your beef, be it Budweiser or a craft beer and if it tastes good, just say it tastes good and I should give it a try. And if tastes like shit stop pretending it tastes good because it comes from some microbrew when the perfectly good shit-tasting beer that costs 3,000 won a bottle is sitting right there and will achieve the same overall purpose of getting you wasted.

You're arguing against the imaginary figure in your head again. Just order a beer and shut up.
"in real life I have a Mensa level IQ. Thatís the opposite of mentally retarded. People have told me Iím the smartest person theyíve ever met. Has anyone said that to you? Probably not."

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 01:47:55 pm »

Yeah, I think you can cool your jets here professor. It is a lighthearted
article about beer.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 01:48:02 pm »
You're arguing against the imaginary figure in your head again. Just order a beer and shut up.
I fully accept that my post above was a "Sir, this is a Wendy's" moment.

It was also true.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 01:50:37 pm »
Yeah, I think you can cool your jets here professor. It is a lighthearted
article about beer.
No, it's the ever-present condescending f*ing tone you speak with about the people here.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 01:51:57 pm »
I fully accept that my post above was a "Sir, this is a Wendy's" moment.

It was also true.

And if you're buying, I'll have the whelk beer. We can discuss flavor profiles and brewing processes when you get back.
"in real life I have a Mensa level IQ. Thatís the opposite of mentally retarded. People have told me Iím the smartest person theyíve ever met. Has anyone said that to you? Probably not."

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 01:58:23 pm »
The Snail beer is PAIRED with snail to enhance it as a PAIRING.

Some of you can't read and it shows.

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 02:00:33 pm »
Click on the article? You expect me to do that? And THEN expect me to read more than the headline? Psshaw

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2021, 02:00:48 pm »
Lemme think.

Nah.

You can't just reflexively bitch in every direction the person goes. Also, when it comes to beer, just shut up and order. Beer snobs are starting to sound like the women Bill Burr mocked during his stand up who have inane conversations about their brunch meal. Instead of "Is that Pesto in your omelet?" It's "Is that barley-infused? Oh it's barley-malt pressed, not infused. Do you hear that Dave? I thought it was infused." Just order your beer, be it Budweiser or a craft beer and if it tastes good, just say it tastes good and I should give it a try. And if tastes like shit stop pretending it tastes good because it comes from some microbrew when the perfectly good shit-tasting beer that costs 3,000 won a bottle is sitting right there and will achieve the same overall purpose of getting you wasted.

what are you actually on about? nobody is talking about barley-infusing or malt-pressed or whatever the ****, and i'd be fascinated to know how you arrived at this rant from

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2021/12/419_319812.html

Wow, this article really caught my eye. This brewery in Korea now
has:

Chewing gum-flavored Juicy Fresh Beer

and

Freshwater Snail Beer

Now I love beer and I think it's great that microbrew has taken off
in this country, but really.

maybe im misreading something here (or, more likely, missing whatever it is you've read into it) but i dont think that finding bubble gum and snail flavored beer weird makes one a massive beer snob. in fact, i would even venture to suggest that your humble but beloved cass probably tastes better than such concoctions. i suppose spqr should have simply ignored the article and moved on, but its far from the most offensively useless thing posted on this forum, and i also dont think its half the slight against korea that you took it to be in your initial response

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2021, 02:01:47 pm »

Some of you can't read and it shows.

@demart

i see the actual beer snob has arrived, go bully him and leave the rest of us alone

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2021, 02:12:20 pm »
what are you actually on about? nobody is talking about barley-infusing or malt-pressed or whatever the ****, and i'd be fascinated to know how you arrived at this rant from

maybe im misreading something here (or, more likely, missing whatever it is you've read into it) but i dont think that finding bubble gum and snail flavored beer weird makes one a massive beer snob. in fact, i would even venture to suggest that your humble but beloved cass probably tastes better than such concoctions. i suppose spqr should have simply ignored the article and moved on, but its far from the most offensively useless thing posted on this forum, and i also dont think its half the slight against korea that you took it to be in your initial response
Well considering that bubblegum/fruit-flavors in craft beer are pretty standard, I don't see why that one would be shocking and how there's anything Korean about it.

But yes, there is this trend amongst certain expats or whomever who just reflexively bitch about anything Koreans do with products. If they don't have a western product here, they bitch about it. If they try to copy it, they bitch about it being a copy. If they Koreanize it, they bitch about it being Koreanized. Seriously, what are Korean people supposed to do?

And once you realize that, you realize that the only answer is to not blow your lid if they do one of the three because all three are part of a healthy spectrum of interaction. It's okay if they aren't into some things. It's okay if they try to do it as close to the original as possible. And it's okay if they try their own thing with it. And the way to do that is just take it all in stride.

Also, there's a way to post it and a way not to. The whole "I'm happy Korea is getting into the whole craft beer thing" as though that's like some sort of thing they should or should not have to do and it makes their lives more or less meaningful. Who gives a shit if they're not into craft beer? I get giving s hit if you're into craft beer and there's some new breweries opening up to go try, but it doesn't make it bad if they aren't.

Notice how CO2 doesn't come off as an ass in his brewery thread? It isn't like "Look at the latest way Korean have effed up". It's just "Hey, I'm checking out so and so brewery. Here's what I found." And if you aren't a fan of their offerings, it's just a place that didn't work out. There's always another brewery to visit. That's how you do it.

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2021, 02:14:22 pm »
@demart

i see the actual beer snob has arrived, go bully him and leave the rest of us alone
Good catch. I retract everything I wrote about CO2 above. May his photo be erased from the records. Surely it was his actions that led to the failure of my Beer Vision address to the workers and farmers.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2021, 02:15:00 pm »

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
more gg more skill

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2021, 02:18:28 pm »

Please don't bully me.