Read 5144 times

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: Where will your winter 2022 vacation be?
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2022, 02:15:18 pm »
But you must surely see the futility in presenting him with any counterargument? the phrase, "like herding cats" comes to mind.

I agree with that, however, I'm bored and don't have a lot to do. Camp isn't even until next week, and I'm already prepared and 90% set up for it, the other 10% I can't set up until the day of.
And I've used the same textbooks for 4 years now, I'm pretty happy with my materials for them, and will only need to make some minor tweaks to them, which I'll do the week before I use them, so they are more fresh in my mind. He at least keeps this place lively and gives me something to read.
I've reached out to some universities as I want to study something again with my free time, however, they haven't been returning my attempts to get info from them. D:

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2022, 02:19:20 pm »
But you must surely see the futility in presenting him with any counterargument? the phrase, "like herding cats" comes to mind.
Ehhh, who knows? He might have different thoughts after he logs off and thinks about things.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2022, 01:35:47 pm »
I didn't say that was a lie, even the people who make the vaccines have stated that there can be extreme side effects, including death, from the vaccine, but the odds of it happening are extremely rare, and people with underlying health conditions make up the majority of those getting such extreme side effects.
What injuries is your co-teacher struggling to recover from? It feels like you are trying to scapegoat the covid vaccine in that case.
Arm and shoulder pain is the most common side effect from the vaccine and doesn't last long. I had shoulder and arm pain for about 3 days after the first jab, about 36 hours for the 2nd, and about 20 hours on the booster.

She specifically told me she has had a problem healing from some back and foot injuries.  He body is much slower to heal from this vaccine.  Nurses at the hospital where she has sought treatment have also told her that many people have had this problem since taking this vaccine.   She was pro vaccine in the spring and was initially dismayed I wasn't getting it.  But now she regrets taking it and supports my decision.  My cousin back home has many friends in the construction industry who were forced to take it and since taking it, they have told him of complaining of no energy.  Some others told me of people they knew who took it and had heart attacks shortly after.  The media won't cover or investigate it.  Ignorance may be bliss sometimes.  That said,I know many who took it and claim to be fine.  However, long term effects are still not known.  As I have said, if you want to take it then take it.  I don't care and don't wish to impose any restrictions on you.  I just wish folks on your side felt the same way instead of being opinionated and trying to force their views on me (well some people, not all). 

That said, there may be a newer more 'traditional' type of vaccine coming though I admit I don't know much about it.  If it went through proper testing and functioned more like a traditional vaccine (which I have taken) then I could re consider my feelings on taking one.  But the ones currently out there I am not interested in.  Still, I would have to know more about it and see if Corona is still around or gone by 2023 or so.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/01/05/1070046189/a-texas-team-comes-up-with-a-covid-vaccine-that-could-be-a-global-game-changer
Trolls on here are lame and need to get a life.

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2022, 01:38:56 pm »
She specifically told me she has had a problem healing from some back and foot injuries.  He body is much slower to heal from this vaccine.  Nurses at the hospital where she has sought treatment have also told her that many people have had this problem since taking this vaccine.   She was pro vaccine in the spring and was initially dismayed I wasn't getting it.  But now she regrets taking it and supports my decision.  My cousin back home has many friends in the construction industry who were forced to take it and since taking it, they have told him of complaining of no energy.  Some others told me of people they knew who took it and had heart attacks shortly after.  The media won't cover or investigate it.  Ignorance may be bliss sometimes.  That said,I know many who took it and claim to be fine.  However, long term effects are still not known.  As I have said, if you want to take it then take it.  I don't care and don't wish to impose any restrictions on you.  I just wish folks on your side felt the same way instead of being opinionated and trying to force their views on me (well some people, not all). 

That said, there may be a newer more 'traditional' type of vaccine coming though I admit I don't know much about it.  If it went through proper testing and functioned more like a traditional vaccine (which I have taken) then I could re consider my feelings on taking one.  But the ones currently out there I am not interested in.  Still, I would have to know more about it and see if Corona is still around or gone by 2023 or so.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/01/05/1070046189/a-texas-team-comes-up-with-a-covid-vaccine-that-could-be-a-global-game-changer
You're so close to just naming Kevin Bacon as the person who is having a hard time after getting the vaccine. You can do it. I believe in you!

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2022, 01:47:24 pm »
Even in my slightly off color state, this made me grin a little more than usual. That phrase is hilarious, and I've never, ever, heard it before. Now I'll be using it at every opportunity. Cheers!!!
Herding cats?

It's an old commercial (from 2009):

https://youtu.be/m_MaJDK3VNE
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 01:49:47 pm by VanIslander »
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2022, 02:10:45 pm »
*you're still out to lunch and on crack.....

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2022, 02:55:25 pm »

Yer, barkin' up the wrong tree, boy! 

(But if I'm going to live rent free in his head, well that's up to him....)

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2022, 03:05:25 pm »
Yer, barkin' up the wrong tree, boy! 

(But if I'm going to live rent free in his head, well that's up to him....)
haha.  amazing.

do you like fish sticks?

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2022, 03:10:28 pm »
haha.  amazing.

do you like fish sticks?

Just for you, Sparky.

(Captain Highliner are my favorite, BTW.)

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2022, 04:32:52 pm »
That said, there may be a newer more 'traditional' type of vaccine coming though I admit I don't know much about it.  If it went through proper testing and functioned more like a traditional vaccine (which I have taken) then I could re consider my feelings on taking one.

We agree on that one. You don't know anything about vaccines.

If you want a ''traditional'' vaccine, you could take one from your beloved China. They use the inactivated virus method which is over a century old. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 10:14:52 pm by Lazio »
''Jealous of those who make more, have a 2 bedroom apartment to live in, ride a GIANT mountain bike, and drive a car that gets them around?  Well, I can't help myself.  It's too bad you are jealous of me for you having less. I am at least able to say I am living better than most ESLers '' hangook77

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2022, 11:31:27 pm »
Gee, I can't imagine how a slim majority of Americans found Trump off-putting and went with the boring guy.

It's like Dems mystified that Stacy Abrams lost in Georgia.

I'm lean Trump but come on...
Pretty poor analogy unless you mean Democrats should have expected republicans to suppress the vote there.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2022, 11:34:00 pm »
Genuine question. What is the point to replying to hankook with any seriousness? Adel, Mart, anyone else aside from C02 who seems to just be ribbing him. You all know what hes going to say constantly, the over the top tirades about fascism, low pay, maybe in a couple years...  Its endless. Do you want to ruffle his feathers, provide him with context, facts, alternate perspectives?  Why? Whats to gain from it? He's very obviously too far gone. Maybe you have this type of person come for thanksgiving or some other gathering, but in that situation, you would generally ignore them until it was time to part ways. So whats the point of engaging him. Personally, I think its funny.
Sometimes one gets so fed up with the nonsense hankook posts that one responds. I barely even skim her posts anymore. They do provide a good lesson in self-delusion.

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Vancouver Island
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2022, 11:59:08 pm »
Just finishing 7 weeks holiday here.  Flew to Korea for a month, returned with my spouse.  We're now both here in Victoria.  She has not worked for the past 17 days and doesn't know what to do with herself.

This will be the start of a 3 year paid holiday for her.  We might travel some more on the island or head to Whistler if we want to go skiing, but right now we're just getting sorted on this end with immigrating to Canada.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2022, 11:59:20 am »
Is travelling around Korea any more or less responsible than going abroad? Maybe depends on the place. With people around me, the general feeling is wanting to get back to home countries to visit family and friends. If you have the vacation days and your planned destination will let you in, why not?

Today:

"I request people to restrain from their hometown visits and meetings with relatives and families during the Lunar New Year holiday period, said Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum.
____
Makes me sad to think about Koreans not being able to see their families this year again.

What the Korean government wants us to do is stay home during vacation so as to stop the spread.

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2022, 12:48:47 pm »
Pretty poor analogy unless you mean Democrats should have expected republicans to suppress the vote there.
Stop the Steal!

Abrams is destroying our democratic norms by not conceding!

Anyways, strange how this massive vote suppression failed to take effect in 2020. Couldn't be that another 2 years of demographic shift and big turnout changed things and that Abrams was a black woman running in the Deep South as an unabashed liberal. No, that's crazy talk. It's definitely all because Republicans suppressed the vote by not letting people hand out free water.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2022, 03:13:08 am »
Today:

"I request people to restrain from their hometown visits and meetings with relatives and families during the Lunar New Year holiday period, said Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum.
____
Makes me sad to think about Koreans not being able to see their families this year again.

What the Korean government wants us to do is stay home during vacation so as to stop the spread.
Are you sure? Maybe they want people to stay home because they will probably eat less and thus not gain weight.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2022, 03:27:13 am »
Are you sure? Maybe they want people to stay home because they will probably eat less and thus not gain weight.
Or, ... walk less, couch potato more, Netflix more, order fried take-out or delivery more.

There is an inverse relationship between family size and heart atrack risk. Meet and hug relatives. It does a body good.
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2022, 10:14:46 pm »
Or, ... walk less, couch potato more, Netflix more, order fried take-out or delivery more.

There is an inverse relationship between family size and heart atrack risk. Meet and hug relatives. It does a body good.
I thought size, as in too big, was the problem,

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2022, 10:36:51 pm »
Health is multifaceted. Social isolation and loneliness weakens the immune system.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2022, 11:46:46 pm »
Health is multifaceted. Social isolation and loneliness weakens the immune system.
There's a difference in being alone and being lonely. Also, staying home doesn't mean home alone.