Read 3114 times

Re: Where will your winter 2022 vacation be?
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2022, 12:48:47 pm »
Pretty poor analogy unless you mean Democrats should have expected republicans to suppress the vote there.
Stop the Steal!

Abrams is destroying our democratic norms by not conceding!

Anyways, strange how this massive vote suppression failed to take effect in 2020. Couldn't be that another 2 years of demographic shift and big turnout changed things and that Abrams was a black woman running in the Deep South as an unabashed liberal. No, that's crazy talk. It's definitely all because Republicans suppressed the vote by not letting people hand out free water.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2022, 03:13:08 am »
Today:

"I request people to restrain from their hometown visits and meetings with relatives and families during the Lunar New Year holiday period,Ē said Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum.
____
Makes me sad to think about Koreans not being able to see their families this year again.

What the Korean government wants us to do is stay home during vacation so as to stop the spread.
Are you sure? Maybe they want people to stay home because they will probably eat less and thus not gain weight.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2022, 03:27:13 am »
Are you sure? Maybe they want people to stay home because they will probably eat less and thus not gain weight.
Or, ... walk less, couch potato more, Netflix more, order fried take-out or delivery more.

There is an inverse relationship between family size and heart atrack risk. Meet and hug relatives. It does a body good.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2022, 10:14:46 pm »
Or, ... walk less, couch potato more, Netflix more, order fried take-out or delivery more.

There is an inverse relationship between family size and heart atrack risk. Meet and hug relatives. It does a body good.
I thought size, as in too big, was the problem,

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2022, 10:36:51 pm »
Health is multifaceted. Social isolation and loneliness weakens the immune system.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2022, 11:46:46 pm »
Health is multifaceted. Social isolation and loneliness weakens the immune system.
There's a difference in being alone and being lonely. Also, staying home doesn't mean home alone.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2022, 03:43:00 am »
There's a difference in being alone and being lonely. Also, staying home doesn't mean home alone.
Take care of two cats. They need love and they give it back.

I have two 7 year olds and they occupy my time, space and hug quotient.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2022, 04:22:59 am »
It's been nearly two years now of working from home and I'm starting to dread going back to the office in March. Hopefully another mutation will come along before then.  :laugh:

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2022, 06:56:38 am »
It's been nearly two years now of working from home and I'm starting to dread going back to the office in March. Hopefully another mutation will come along before then.  :laugh:

Looks like youíre in luck. (Well, youíre in luck; the rest of us have more hardship and pain coming.)
___________________ __________

Expect more worrisome variants after omicron, scientists say
https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-science-health-pandemics-dc99bc9f769dd6d7cb669e3d185c6261

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2022, 07:10:33 am »
I guess I should clarify. Obviously there will be more mutations of the virus. The open question is whether they will be more virulent than the Omicron variant and hence as disruptive as previous waves of mutations. 
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59970281
I suspect they won't but only time will tell.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2022, 07:35:51 am »
That article is about the UK specifically, saying herd immunity there is not far off, but ends with this:
___________________ ___________________ _______________
While the UK is ahead of most of the world due to a combination of vaccines and a large number of infections, the planet is not remotely close to seeing the end of the pandemic.

Poorer countries are still waiting for vaccines to give to their most vulnerable people. Meanwhile countries that kept Covid at arms' length have had very few deaths, but also have less immunity in their populations.

The World Health Organization has been clear the world is a long way off describing Covid as endemic.

"For the world it is still a pandemic and an acute emergency," Dr Groppelli concludes.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2022, 07:54:43 am »
That article is about the UK specifically, saying herd immunity there is not far off, but ends with this:
___________________ ___________________ _______________
While the UK is ahead of most of the world due to a combination of vaccines and a large number of infections, the planet is not remotely close to seeing the end of the pandemic.

Poorer countries are still waiting for vaccines to give to their most vulnerable people. Meanwhile countries that kept Covid at arms' length have had very few deaths, but also have less immunity in their populations.

The World Health Organization has been clear the world is a long way off describing Covid as endemic.

"For the world it is still a pandemic and an acute emergency," Dr Groppelli concludes.

Well, true but I don't live in a poorer country with low levels of immunisation and wouldn't have thought of South Korea as being in that boat either.  Nonetheless, would you acknowledge that the possibility for differences of opinion and as to how you would actually define the end of the pandemic or what the end would look like?
I wouldn't define the end as the situation returning to an identical situation as before. Some things will never be the same again. The best I would hope for would the easing of restrictions on international travel and much lower levels of hospitalisations and death as a combination of natural immunity from infection and vaccination kick in.  I've got a feeling some of the social distancing requirements like masking will be around for a while yet though.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3W84wb5jKo&t=565s
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 08:03:10 am by Adel »

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2022, 09:29:51 am »
Still hoping against the odds that quarantine rules change after the Lunar New Year.  I don't expect they will, but if there is any easement of restrictions I'm out of here for a couple of weeks.  As it stands now, even though I have the time to take two weeks off and do the ten day quarantine, there is no possible way I could handle being cooped up without being able to go outside for ten days.  It's ridiculous.  You could test negative before you travel, test negative within 48 hours of getting your flight back, test negative within 24 hours of being back, and still be put in a ten day lockdown.  Absolutely idiotic, but this is politics making the decision rather than science. 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2022, 10:00:52 am »
I feel you. Korea is f-ing cold now and the air is a bit polluted. So depressing. Wanna get out of here for a bit.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2022, 10:08:50 am »
Feb will usually be warmer though the air may be more polluted.  The cold keeps the air clean.  Getting out of here in a normal year in Feb would be key. 

« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2022, 10:20:14 am »
I feel you. Korea is f-ing cold now and the air is a bit polluted. So depressing. Wanna get out of here for a bit.

It is a downer, and I see all these people doing the ten day quarantine, but I just think I couldn't handle it.  I've thought a lot about if it'll be worth the pay off of two weeks away but it would be too tough.  I'd read, eat and sleep and it would negate the lift that a couple of weeks in warm weather with family would've provided.  I'm hoping they are just trying to avoid a Seollal mass exodus and they calm down after that.  My brother got omicron in Canada and had to self-isolate for five days and was allowed to head out to places like the supermarket when needed.  That I could put up with. 

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2022, 10:31:27 am »
Feb will usually be warmer though the air may be more polluted.  The cold keeps the air clean.  Getting out of here in a normal year in Feb would be key.

This isn't true. The air quality in Korea is at its worst from winter through to the end of spring.
"in real life I have a Mensa level IQ. Thatís the opposite of mentally retarded. People have told me Iím the smartest person theyíve ever met. Has anyone said that to you? Probably not."

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2022, 10:38:01 am »
Yes and no.

Low air pressure results on cleaner air.
Inversion systems trap pollutants, though, as we saw a week ago.

The wind patterns help keep Chinese pollutants away from June to October, as systems come from the south, southeast, from the ocean instead of the winter's mainly mainland systems.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2022, 10:46:20 am »
On one hand, cold weather means more coal and oil burned for heating, in South Korea, and nearby North Korea, China, and Mongolia. On the other hand, cold is related to Siberian winds and other weather patterns, so it does give a bit of a temporary reprieve.

I was reading about what Mongolians are burning for heat in the winter: wood, coal, plastic, tires. Tires?! Yuck! Thatís making filthy air. I hope they can learn about air pollution and its effects on health.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2022, 10:54:18 am »
The air quality is always worst in winter. The cold doesn't do a very good job of keeping air in South Korea clean.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20211129004600315

"The government announced Monday it will launch a seasonal fine dust management program next month as part of efforts to reduce air pollution during winter, when dust levels are higher than other seasons."

"in real life I have a Mensa level IQ. Thatís the opposite of mentally retarded. People have told me Iím the smartest person theyíve ever met. Has anyone said that to you? Probably not."