Read 3464 times

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
Re: Definition of full vaccinated might include boosters.
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2021, 08:00:26 am »
I like Austria's solution. Either get fully inoculated as per government
guidelines or stay home in legal lockdown. I really don't care if Covid-19
kills idiots, but putting other people at risk an extreme "no-way" in my books.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2021, 08:30:57 am »
You donít care if Covid kills idiots? Thatís really cruel. They have friends and family who love them, too. Itís not their fault they are less intelligent. They were born that way. They are misguided. We want to help steer them in the right direction. Incidentally, the danger of Covid for those under 80 has really been overstated. But yeah, we want to protect old folks. Even with vaccination, the elderly can easily die. People die of old age all the time, hence the high death toll; however, the virus is taking people slightly earlier than what could have been, which is really sad. Young people crapping their pants in fear of dying from Covid are not fully in line with real reality. A vaccinated old person has a higher chance of dying than an unvaccinated young person.

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2021, 12:19:57 pm »

Sounds peachy.  Austria is going to marginalize a group of people and you have people such as yourself standing stating they don't care if said group dies . Where have we seen this before?

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2021, 12:29:56 pm »
Proportionality is the key with anything.

I'm not sure the full-on lockdowns and coercive measures are proportional to the actual risk

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2021, 12:32:28 pm »

Well, it is the birthplace of Hitler.  So, inconvenient things like people's rights shouldn't stand in the way of YOUR desires and what YOU want.  Might as well shoot everyone else.  Fascism makes a comeback.  Glad you're okay with that.  Show a lot about your character. 
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are losers who are blocked.  Good riddance to them. They will still be in Korea 10 years from now unless they are retired.  Either way, they will be poor since all they know how to do is troll rather than work for something more

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2021, 12:45:39 pm »
Proportionality is the key with anything.

I'm not sure the full-on lockdowns and coercive measures are proportional to the actual risk

Risk? You mean the virus with a 99.9 % survival rate? There is inherit risk with everything. Going across the street to get a cup of coffee carries some risk. Getting on a bus includes some risk. I wish people would stop pretending that we have to full on shut everything down over safety. We don't close down all roads just because there are traffic fatalities.

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Sierra Leone
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2021, 12:57:40 pm »
With more than 5,000,000 dead worldwide only mental defectives would
debate the seriousness of this virus. If they still do not want to take the
necessary steps to protect themselves, than that is fine. The virus will
deal with them. As for others who want to protect their families and society
as a whole, these people should not be put at risk by rabid anti-vaxxers.

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2021, 01:09:20 pm »
With more than 5,000,000 dead worldwide only mental defectives would
debate the seriousness of this virus. If they still do not want to take the
necessary steps to protect themselves, than that is fine. The virus will
deal with them. As for others who want to protect their families and society
as a whole, these people should not be put at risk by rabid anti-vaxxers.
SPQR, what is the case fatality rate for people under the age of 65?

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Sierra Leone
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2021, 01:12:41 pm »
SPQR, what is the case fatality rate for people under the age of 65?

This has no bearing on the situation whatsoever. SARS-CoV-2 is not a ritualistic culling
of the aged. Grow up and smell the coffee.

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2021, 01:19:25 pm »
This has no bearing on the situation whatsoever. SARS-CoV-2 is not a ritualistic culling
Yes, it does. If you are going to formulate government policy that takes into account a variety of factors ranging from public health to the economy to law enforcement to legal matters to infrastructure, etc. then you have to take such things into account and look at the situation as a whole and determine what balance of risk vs. freedom, as well as economic impact and legal measures and a host of other things affect it.

And yes, you do have to ask to what extent do you limit opportunity and well-being of your children, young adults, and active adults to protect the elderly. Nothing is free and those measures come with a cost to the future. We're already seeing reports of substantial impacts on children, particularly with mental health, development and behavior. We're seeing significant economic upheaval.

The adult table is where people can discuss these sorts of things without the "You're trying to kill grandma!!!!!!!" hysteria.

• JNM
  • Waygook Lord

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2021, 01:45:24 pm »
The infection is ubiquitous.

The high survival rate needs to be presented along side the very high infection rate.

It isnít overstatement to say that most people will get the infection, and [small fraction] will die.

That is still a lot of dead people!

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Sierra Leone
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2021, 02:06:11 pm »
Yes, it does. If you are going to formulate government policy that takes into account a variety of factors ranging from public health to the economy to law enforcement to legal matters to infrastructure, etc. then you have to take such things into account and look at the situation as a whole and determine what balance of risk vs. freedom, as well as economic impact and legal measures and a host of other things affect it.

And yes, you do have to ask to what extent do you limit opportunity and well-being of your children, young adults, and active adults to protect the elderly. Nothing is free and those measures come with a cost to the future. We're already seeing reports of substantial impacts on children, particularly with mental health, development and behavior. We're seeing significant economic upheaval.

The adult table is where people can discuss these sorts of things without the "You're trying to kill grandma!!!!!!!" hysteria.

BULLSHIT

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2021, 02:32:35 pm »
This flu is just a pain in the ass.  It should be called the "diaper" flu.

It doesn't scare me in the least.

https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=119363.msg816400#msg816400

Interesting discussion in the above link.

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2021, 02:36:22 pm »

You don't see any irony in what you are saying? You already stated you have no problems with unvaccinated people dying, yet you are supposedly so worried about the elderly? Maybe some people have legitimate reasons as to why they don't want or can't take a particular vaccine. Before you power trip and offer to lock them up maybe you should consider it.

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2021, 03:03:52 pm »
The infection is ubiquitous.

The high survival rate needs to be presented along side the very high infection rate.

It isnít overstatement to say that most people will get the infection, and [small fraction] will die.

That is still a lot of dead people!
True, but I think that also has to be balanced vs. quality of life for those in demographics that aren't nearly at the same level of risk and to what extent the % of dead involves those who probably didn't have much time remaining. Certainly there are some measures which would be reasonable to get people vaccinated but at some point you have to take into account what enforcement would entail.

In Austria, I believe the number of unvaccinated is around 2 million. Should all of them fail to comply, what then? Are you going to fine them? What if they refuse to pay? Hundreds of thousands become unemployed? Imprisoned? Is the country able to sustainably enforce that? Tough call because if you don't do anything then you might get free-rider problems not to mention unnecessary death beyond a point where reasonable measures would have saved them.

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2021, 03:06:31 pm »
https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=119363.msg816400#msg816400

Interesting discussion in the above link.
Hahahahahahaha

Boy that DeMartino guy sure looks like an ass now!

TBF to both me and SPQR, we're talking the early stages of the pandemic vs. policy moving forward. At that time we were operating in the fog of war. There's more information now.

But yeah, hats off L I for digging that up. That was gold. And send more bowls of crow this way for me to eat. Love it!

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2021, 06:03:04 am »
From May:
'A new study estimates that the number of people who have died of COVID-19 in the U.S. is more than 900,000, a number 57% higher than official figures.

Worldwide, the study's authors say, the COVID-19 death count is nearing 7 million, more than double the reported number of 3.24 million.

The analysis comes from researchers at the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, who looked at excess mortality from March 2020 through May 3, 2021, compared it with what would be expected in a typical nonpandemic year, then adjusted those figures to account for a handful of other pandemic-related factors."

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/05/06/994287048/new-study-estimates-more-than-900-000-people-have-died-of-covid-19-in-u-s

I received my booster shot yesterday. No side effects. Rode 37 miles this morning, half of it into a 15mph wind.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2021, 06:33:14 am »
Thatís one study and an estimate according to the study authors. You like to post the highest estimates, which is why youíll keep reposting this one. How many Americans die over a two year period? A hell of a lot. Millions. Almost seven million. Worldwide, 120 million. Everyone dies. Itís inescapable. But yeah, do your best to increase your lifespan. Coronavirus is one risk among many.

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Sierra Leone
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2021, 07:52:31 am »

I received my booster shot yesterday. No side effects. Rode 37 miles this morning, half of it into a 15mph wind.

Great, I'll get mine in a few months.  I hope to hit Koh Samui next year.
I'll have my inoculation record at the ready, that's for sure. One good thing
is airlines and Thailand will show rabid anti-vaxxers the door PDQ. So, I
won't have to worry about selfish miscreants spreading death on my vacation.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2021, 07:57:17 am »
Our state borders opened yesterday for the first time in nearly two year but only to the fully vaccinated and children under 12. I'm happy that those anti-vaxxer looneys won't be allowed in. Thankfully the local looneys will be allowed out but not back in either.