Read 578 times

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
The air quality is terrible here!

*cough* *cough*

The last two international cities i've been to are Vancouver and Auckland, so i may be VERY biased.

But I have been to Beijing, so until the sky is brown, ...  no big deal?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
What's the secret sauce that makes your posts so smug and boring?

So air quality is bad in Korea and you've been to Vancouver and Auckland.

*standing ovation*
Wow chimp.

You do realize I am from Vancouver and only went to Auckland in January 2005 to get my CELTA after two wonderful years teaching here; deciding to turn it into a career.

I woke up yesterday, noticed a hazy polluted sky. Coughed a few times as a result. I had never had this experience back home. I noticed the elephant in the room (who hasn't thought the air pollution recently is WORSE than back home?!).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 03:00:01 am by VanIslander »

I've biked to and from school every day for the past 6 months (I only live about a 30 min ride away)... and these days are a bit harder on the lungs and even the eyes (I wear contacts and I have to clean them once I'm at school, and breathing through a mask while riding does not give clear, clean breaths).  You actually can feel the pollution stick to you when you are biking. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
China and Korea are almost the same.  Well, I think southern China is better in this regard.  At least over there you're getting paid to put up with it, I guess. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
I've biked to and from school every day for the past 6 months (I only live about a 30 min ride away)... and these days are a bit harder on the lungs and even the eyes (I wear contacts and I have to clean them once I'm at school, and breathing through a mask while riding does not give clear, clean breaths).  You actually can feel the pollution stick to you when you are biking. 

I'd strongly recommend a good sport's mask made especially for pollution when running or cycling outdoors.
I use a respro, and it's amazing at filtering out winter/spring pollution here in korea. It's also super comfy, and allows for easy breathing.
(Keep in mind that it's a pollution mask, not a medical mask: it's made for filtering out particulates so they have one way valves, which makes them less than perfect in filtering your exhalations.)

Southern China is better in this regard.  At least over there you're getting paid to put up with it, I guess. 
I get paid to put up with it here as well.  :smiley:

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan

I get paid to put up with it here as well.  :smiley:

Really?  2.1 million versus 4 or 5 million won a month?  Big difference. 

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Really?  2.1 million versus 4 or 5 million won a month?  Big difference. 

Kyndo only gets paid 2.1?  Kyndo, jobs that only pay 2.1 are hard to come by, even for the newcomers they usually start at 2.5 (I'm using Hangkook's basic pay method of calculation here and including housing value/stipend.)  How do you get paid so little? 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
Kyndo only gets paid 2.1?  Kyndo, jobs that only pay 2.1 are hard to come by, even for the newcomers they usually start at 2.5 (I'm using Hangkook's basic pay method of calculation here and including housing value/stipend.)  How do you get paid so little? 

Total pay of 2.5 is still nothing to write home over.  Still just marginally above Korean minimum wage and certaintly no hazard or hardship pay reflected in that. 

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
Total pay of 2.5 is still nothing to write home over.  Still just marginally above Korean minimum wage and certaintly no hazard or hardship pay reflected in that.

Hazard pay is required for English teachers?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Have you ever met a Korean middle school student?
Hazard! Hazard! Hazard!

But luckily, my school also supplies me with state-of-the-art, top-of-the-line protective equipment, and I only have to pay for half of it (although they'll take the rest out of my deposit if I pull a runner)!

And while I started out well above 2.1 when I first arrived here wayyyyy back in the day, through sheer endurance and determination, I finally found a place that would pay me the absolute minimum that E-2 visa holders are allowed to be paid ( 1.8 )!

Less money, less problems!
Huff that toxic air for the sheer *joy* of it!
Freedom from those golden handcuffs!
 It's a beautiful feeling, I tell you!  :azn:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 12:46:42 pm by Kyndo »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
U.S. military stationed in South Korea get hazard pay. Which is surprising because the odds of a North Korean attack are so small itís statistically zero in my opinion. Bad actors around the world are afraid to pick a fight with the U.S. (sans religious delusion).

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
U.S. military stationed in South Korea get hazard pay. Which is surprising because the odds of a North Korean attack are so small itís statistically zero in my opinion. Bad actors around the world are afraid to pick a fight with the U.S. (sans religious delusion).

And the bad air....

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

And the bad air....

You think US military in Korea are given hazard pay because of the bad air?

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
You think US military in Korea are given hazard pay because of the bad air?

China does.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook