Read 4132 times

• Chester Jim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2015, 02:17:12 pm
    • Arkansas
    more
Re: Is this fake news?
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2021, 06:09:54 pm »

How so?  Did you read it ? Enlighten me.  That’s what I thought.
Bonzai!

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2021, 12:24:28 pm »
Remember when the racist Ilbo (Chosun Ilbo) ran a news story proclaiming to "be aware of the ugly English teacher"?  Now that was fake news before the term was coined.  That MBC news story about 10 years ago about all the foreigners in Itaewon?  Another racist fluff piece.  Memories of just how fake news can be. 

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2021, 12:41:33 pm »
Remember when the racist Ilbo (Chosun Ilbo) ran a news story proclaiming to "be aware of the ugly English teacher"?  Now that was fake news before the term was coined.  That MBC news story about 10 years ago about all the foreigners in Itaewon?  Another racist fluff piece.  Memories of just how fake news can be. 
Yes. And?

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2021, 01:25:35 pm »
Yes. And?

We are talking about fake news.  Remember, before CNN there was Korean media.  (Well, some Korean media.)

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2021, 03:12:00 pm »
Here's an interesting read about new laws being passed to address the issue of fake news in Korea.
Not surprisingly, a lot of people are worried about how this will affect South Korea's Freedom of Press Index ranking (they're currently in first place here in Asia).

https://thediplomat.com/2021/08/the-trouble-with-south-koreas-fake-news-law/

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2021, 07:49:32 pm »
Here's an interesting read about new laws being passed to address the issue of fake news in Korea.
Not surprisingly, a lot of people are worried about how this will affect South Korea's Freedom of Press Index ranking (they're currently in first place here in Asia).

Good article--thanks.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2021, 08:57:56 am »

Korea already has many restrictions on free speech.  This from many younger Koreans who have told me it is not really a democracy.  (This constitution was put in place by the military dictatorship after all.)  But, as for this, never let a good crisis go to waste.  Milk it for all that it's worth.  Clamping down on more personal freedoms is of no consequence to the elites. 

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2021, 09:05:55 am »
Korea already has many restrictions on free speech.  This from many younger Koreans who have told me it is not really a democracy.  (This constitution was put in place by the military dictatorship after all.)  But, as for this, never let a good crisis go to waste.  Milk it for all that it's worth.  Clamping down on more personal freedoms is of no consequence to the elites.

The sun is setting on Korea. When the borders open up it's time to move to China where we won't need to worry about authorities clamping down on personal freedoms.
"I put quite a few pics online and got rated anywhere from 8.2 to 9.6 by lots of chicks. Of course, I can't claim to have the same looks now though Koreans are always saying "handsome" - hangook77

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2021, 09:21:09 am »
The sun is setting on Korea. When the borders open up it's time to move to China where we won't need to worry about authorities clamping down on personal freedoms.

Well, at least there, you are getting paid good money.  Also, China never billed itself as a democracy.  (You would obviously go there for the cash short term, then maybe go elsewhere later on.)  But, if Korea bills itself as a democracy along with other nations in the west and then gradually chips away at it, then there is no where left to run to. 

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2021, 09:56:31 am »
I foresee a mass exodus.

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2021, 10:39:01 am »
But, if Korea bills itself as a democracy along with other nations in the west and then gradually chips away at it, then there is no where left to run to. 

there goes hangook banging on about something he knows almost nothing about. south korea is at least as strong a democracy as the US (and many of the other countries you're probably thinking of). i spent a bit of time studying korean politics in university. but you don't even need a fancy degree, you could just google it. just about any democracy index puts korea at or above the US (i'm talking about things like the economist's democracy index or the freedom house rankings)

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2021, 11:03:19 am »
2015: USA- 8.05; ROK- 7.92
2020: USA- 7.92; ROK- 8.01

Meaning the USA became what the ROK was five years ago and the ROK became almost as good as what the USA was five years ago. I guess the score makers believe the Trump presidency did lasting damage to America’s democracy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 12:07:51 pm by L I »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2021, 11:12:07 am »

This has been discussed before, but South Korea (#42) ranks higher than the USA (#44) on the World Press Freedom Index.
https://rsf.org/en/ranking_table

If you go to the linked site and click on the country you're interested in, you can see the current issues that it faces with respect to press freedom as well with some disturbing stats like the average number of reporters killed in a year etc.

Also, While China is a ruthlessly authoritarian state, it does, in fact, bill itself as a Democracy. Of course, China has a very different idea of what it means to be a democracy than the West. Here's an interesting read on the topic:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/democracy-post/wp/2017/04/11/why-does-china-pretend-to-be-a-democracy/
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:18:03 am by Kyndo »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2021, 11:20:52 am »
Five years ago, USA #41, ROK #70.

The ROK is gettin’ better and USA is getting’ worse.

https://rsf.org/en/ranking/2016

How is America’s press becoming less free though? Cancel culture? What is it specifically?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2021, 11:26:29 am »
I'm not sure. Interesting question.
A big part of the ranking involves how centralized the media is. If there've been any big mergers in American media, that would negatively affect their ranking

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2021, 11:45:28 am »
re: democracy index: the ROK's dipped during park geun-hye's presidency. in 2012, ROK was also higher. but anyway my point was korea is roughly as democratic if not more than hangook's "western nations"

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2021, 11:48:46 am »
The Democracy Index ranking was made by Brits. The Freedom of Press ranking was made by French.   Sometimes people of those nationalities unfairly malign the USA a bit more than the global average. I was reading on the Freedom of Press website why America’s press isn’t free and a reason given was capitol protesters had called them fake news and in some cases attacked them. But that incident was just one day in the year, and journalists freely reported on it. That’s some weak reasoning and rationale. America’s press is free. People can publish what they want. There are no hate speech laws. Not the case with some other countries. 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2021, 11:54:03 am »
Another reason the Freedom of Press Index gave for ranking the United States low is “unchecked conspiracy theories that continue to flourish online”. Their definition of what makes a press free or unfree is debatable and subjective. I thought free press was the opposite- the ability to say what you want without government interference silencing you.

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2021, 12:22:35 pm »
Europeans have a trash view of rights and freedoms in general. They view rights as something granted by states, not something you inherently possess. Your right to press is not yours. It is something that is licensed.

Who cares what they think? They're the morons with a hereditary monarchy and like 5 different Republics.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2021, 12:40:00 pm »
Europeans have a trash view of rights and freedoms in general. They view rights as something granted by states, not something you inherently possess. Your right to press is not yours. It is something that is licensed.