Read 1443 times

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Re: Da Gym/Fitness thread
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2021, 10:59:39 am »
I'm another who stopped doing incline bench press ages ago, because of the strain it was putting on my shoulders. Same with flat bench flies.

I've been looking at Jeff Cavalier's training videos on Youtube, and he says to keep your bench at 30-45 degrees to engage upper chest rather than the shoulders. He reckons it's all in the angle. He also says, flat flies should be done on the floor so there is no strain on the rotator cuffs. Makes sense! I wish someone had pointed this stuff out years ago. 

Flies on a bench are a big taboo in Jeff Cavaliere's world.  Of course, he also curses leg extensions so it pays to listen to a few more trainers.  I've watched a lot of Athlean_X stuff but I'd say the most reliable so far is a Sean Nalewanyj. 

« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2021, 11:13:40 am »
Sean Nalewanyi! Okay thanks. I'll have a look and listen tonight.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2021, 12:09:44 pm »
Sean Nalewanyi! Okay thanks. I'll have a look and listen tonight.

Here's one that is two for the price of one.  Keep in mind Jeff Cavaliere has been caught out using fake weights, as well as being gimmicky.  I have learned a lot from Athlean-X and Jeff, but he definitely caters to his almost 12 million subscribers by throwing out a lot of useless crap.  I have pretty much moved on from him now and trust Sean Nalewanyj to give me the truth over the flash that is just there to add more subscribers like Jeff does. 

I probably should've included the clip before I headed off to class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46V2_l4gYz0
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 01:05:26 pm by OnNut81 »

• Renma
  • Veteran

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2021, 12:18:15 pm »
The problem I have with all these fitness youtubers is the  buzzfeed esque titles:
- TOP 5 PROTEIN POWDERS
- STOP DOING X LIKE THIS
- 8 MISTAKES TO AVOID AS A BEGINNER
- 12 SIGNS YOU'RE DOING XYZ INCORRECTLY

This along with the annoying thumbnails puts me off them. I'll try watching the above guy though he seems to do the same from a glance at his youtube page.

• Swervy
  • Adventurer

• March 09, 2021, 12:56:54 pm
    • Incheon, SK
    more
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2021, 12:32:06 pm »
How long did it take you guys to get proper form down?

I have started going to the gym for the first time in my life really this past month. I know what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing, but constantly feeling and seeing issues with form.
I think the hardest thing for me is keeping my shoulders packed (back and down), especially in over-head exercises. As well as keeping chest out and core tight. It just slips my mind while going through some reps and suddenly my mind snaps back to "yo, form check."
I don't get in shape. I bring the gym to my house and I throw it around.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2021, 12:50:54 pm »
How long did it take you guys to get proper form down?

I have started going to the gym for the first time in my life really this past month. I know what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing, but constantly feeling and seeing issues with form.
I think the hardest thing for me is keeping my shoulders packed (back and down), especially in over-head exercises. As well as keeping chest out and core tight. It just slips my mind while going through some reps and suddenly my mind snaps back to "yo, form check."

Usually took me a couple to few weeks with each new exericse.
My advice is start light, until your form is solid, then gradually build up. When you get to a weight that breaks that form, drop to the weight where it was last solid, or record how many reps it took to make you lose your form. Like, if you are losing form on the 6th rep, use that weight level when you are only doing 5 reps, but anything higher, like 8 - 12 reps, go slightly lighter. Incorrect form can cause injuries, so I think it's better to go lighter with good form, compared to heavier, even if you can handle heavier.

• Renma
  • Veteran

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2021, 01:24:17 pm »
^this. Don't be embarrassed or reluctant to drop your weight down a few kg again and get the movements steady and perfect for a couple of sessions. I've had to do so in the past for my squats and dead lifts when I found my form was slipping.

You should also record yourself doing a set if you don't have a buddy to check your form for those workouts you have issues with.

« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2021, 10:11:49 am »
Here's one that is two for the price of one.  Keep in mind Jeff Cavaliere has been caught out using fake weights, as well as being gimmicky.  I have learned a lot from Athlean-X and Jeff, but he definitely caters to his almost 12 million subscribers by throwing out a lot of useless crap.  I have pretty much moved on from him now and trust Sean Nalewanyj to give me the truth over the flash that is just there to add more subscribers like Jeff does. 

I watched half a dozen of Sean Nalewanyj's videos last night (actually lost track of time and realized it was 2 am). You're right. He's great. No fuss, accurate, and to the point. I liked the way he callled out the lies from others, and was able to explain why their information was misleading, or not the whole truth. I'll checkout the other 6 guys he reccommended as being legit, over the weekend.