Read 10978 times

• T_Rex
  • Super Waygook

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
Re: Wow! What a beat down in Virginia.
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2022, 09:13:39 am »
Ted Cruz telling the adoring crowd that he knows exactly what "critical race theory" is and then goes all-in with conservative talking points about what it isn't.

Where was that Ted Cruz passion when Trump was abusing his family?

And it's absolutely hypocritical when Republicans attack the notion that laws in the United States are created not to disparage one "race"; all men are created equal under God etc etc, then Republican-controlled state legislatures do their best to kettle the majority of African-Americans into one single house district whilst also making it more difficult for them to vote. But oh yeah, it's not a "race" issue that Republicans have.
Look what the Dems did in Illinois:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/redistricting-2022-maps/illinois/

The resulting map looks bizarre in some parts, but they were able to gerrymander two majority Republican districts out of existence. Over 80% of people who vote Republican in Illinois are white so the political influence of white voters is disproportionately affected.

« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2022, 11:46:09 am »
That's a very poor coupling. Chomsky is without a doubt a historical figure for his academic achievements. Buckley will be a footnote at best. His son will be better remembered for his novels.

Why keep on with this?
Just because you dislike Buckley and the conservative movement doesn't mean it wasn't historically significant.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #202 on: January 18, 2022, 04:31:22 pm »
Virginia's new lead advisor to the pandemic response:

Saw him on PragerU:

"The best way not to become a patient is to be healthy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXUN2u0QPkQ

Americans spend a fortune on healthcare, but it doesn’t seem to be making us any healthier. In fact, all the trend lines point to an increasingly obese, overmedicated, comorbid population. Why is this happening, and what can we do to reverse it? Johns Hopkins Medical School professor Dr. Marty Makary prescribes a remedy.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 04:53:21 pm by L I »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #203 on: January 18, 2022, 05:12:12 pm »
Virginia's new lead advisor to the pandemic response:

Saw him on PragerU:

"The best way not to become a patient is to be healthy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXUN2u0QPkQ

Americans spend a fortune on healthcare, but it doesn’t seem to be making us any healthier. In fact, all the trend lines point to an increasingly obese, overmedicated, comorbid population. Why is this happening, and what can we do to reverse it? Johns Hopkins Medical School professor Dr. Marty Makary prescribes a remedy.

Prager U?  It's not an academic institution, ya know.  It is a far-right media tool of the fascist agenda. 

This doctor is sold on herd immunity and opposes mask-wearing, particularly for kids, calling it abusive.  Why on earth would you use him as a source for such a prosaic point?  Especially one you've posted here about five million times?

• hippo
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #204 on: January 18, 2022, 05:32:24 pm »
Just because you dislike Buckley and the conservative movement doesn't mean it wasn't historically significant.

I am trying to stay out of these discussions of US politics but I cannot resist mentioning that there is a fantastic debate on YouTube between Chomsky and Buckley about the Vietnam War.  If you have extra time, it is worth a watch.  It is nice to see people talk uninterrupted for a long period as used to happen so much more often on old television shows.  One of these two was clearly in over their heads and they could not easily get way by using soundbites as people usually do these days. 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2022, 05:37:13 pm »
Makary co-authored a commentary for the Wall Street Journal in August that detailed what the authors said were possible adverse affects on some children who wear masks long-term - from difficulty breathing and seeing to acne and increased levels of carbon dioxide in the blood.

"Any child who wants to wear a mask should be free to do so. But forcing them to make personal, health and developmental sacrifices for the sake of adults who refuse to get immunized is abusive," Makary and his co-author, H. Cody Meissner, wrote, adding that the mandatory vaccination of teachers would help.

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ____

There might be real drawbacks to making kids wear masks. The purpose of all these rules is to protect those who refuse to get vaccinated, specifically, those who refuse to get vaccinated while living unhealthfully? For this we have to upend human life? Seems selfish on their part. Healthy, unvaccinated person, not in danger. Unhealthy, unvaccinated person, yes, in danger. Unvaccinated child, not in danger, even if unhealthy. At least, in less danger than they would be from a flu. Should we get more vaccines to kids? Yes. I hope that can happen soon. Should we let them be free after that? Yes.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2022, 08:00:00 pm »
Didn't say anything about the conservative movement. Certainly, it and its bitter fruits should be taught. The present unhealthy state of the US is certainly a result of the Reagan revolution. Funny notion--that those in power were revolting.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #207 on: January 18, 2022, 08:04:04 pm »
Makary co-authored a commentary for the Wall Street Journal in August that detailed what the authors said were possible adverse affects on some children who wear masks long-term - from difficulty breathing and seeing to acne and increased levels of carbon dioxide in the blood.

"Any child who wants to wear a mask should be free to do so. But forcing them to make personal, health and developmental sacrifices for the sake of adults who refuse to get immunized is abusive," Makary and his co-author, H. Cody Meissner, wrote, adding that the mandatory vaccination of teachers would help.

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ____

Unvaccinated child, not in danger, even if unhealthy.
"My daughter has COVID. She’s 7 months. I’m watching her little body battle an invisible bully.

She’s riding a fever. Her nose is running. She’s also congested. She can’t nurse, because she can’t breathe. She’s not sleeping well. She pants for air. For breath. To breathe. Freely."
https://jaxtoday.org/2022/01/17/opinion-an-open-letter-to-gov-desantis/

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #208 on: January 18, 2022, 08:17:40 pm »
Unvaccinated child, not in danger, even if unhealthy. At least, in less danger than they would be from a flu. Should we get more vaccines to kids? Yes. I hope that can happen soon. Should we let them be free after that? Yes.

This is what was originally written. Which is true. Way to deceptively edit. [>__<] Kids die from the flu more than coronavirus.

Incidentally, did that seven month old baby catch coronavirus at school due to not wearing a mask?

I don’t remember news stories about babies getting sick from the flu. It happened. But we didn’t hear about it. Not prominent newspaper articles devoted to it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 08:34:18 pm by L I »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #209 on: January 18, 2022, 08:20:52 pm »
How to get the traffic death rate down to zero. Lower the speed limit to 10 miles an hour. Make cars out of rubber. What? You’re not for that? Murderer!

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2022, 11:06:27 pm »

There might be real drawbacks to making kids wear masks. The purpose of all these rules is to protect those who refuse to get vaccinated, specifically, those who refuse to get vaccinated while living unhealthfully? For this we have to upend human life? Seems selfish on their part. Healthy, unvaccinated person, not in danger. Unhealthy, unvaccinated person, yes, in danger. Unvaccinated child, not in danger, even if unhealthy. At least, in less danger than they would be from a flu. Should we get more vaccines to kids? Yes. I hope that can happen soon. Should we let them be free after that? Yes.

He opposes vaccine mandates!!!  His position and the policies he is putting in place are both illogical and dangerous.  Why would you cite him?

Also BS for which you have no source beyond your gaping maw.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2022, 11:14:16 pm »
I heard Joe Rogan say it.

I'll look it up now...

"According to our findings, we believe that COVID-19 disease has a milder clinical and laboratory course than Influenza in children."
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34107134/

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #212 on: January 18, 2022, 11:19:04 pm »
The risk of serious COVID-19 illness in children is comparable to their risk from the flu, but many parents seem more concerned about coronavirus. The issue of risk perception has a lot do with it.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/21/999241558/in-kids-the-risk-of-covid-19-and-the-flu-are-similar-but-the-risk-perception-isn

Well, as NPR's Richard Harris reports, the risk to children turns out to be extremely low - comparable to the flu.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #213 on: January 19, 2022, 12:54:59 am »
How to get the traffic death rate down to zero. Lower the speed limit to 10 miles an hour. Make cars out of rubber. What? You’re not for that? Murderer!
I'm for lowering the speed limit and even more strongly for enforcing it. State troopers on I-95 in South Florida won't stop speeding motorists because it's too dangerous because there are so many cars speeding. 

A car made of rubber would probably be more dangerous than current car models with air bags, seat belts and crumple zones.

"Deceptive editing"--cry me a river.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #214 on: January 19, 2022, 08:01:11 am »
The risk of serious COVID-19 illness in children is comparable to their risk from the flu, ...
Well, as NPR's Richard Harris reports, the risk to children turns out to be extremely low - comparable to the flu.
"Unbeknown to many physicians and parents, infants younger than six months of age are at significant risk for serious illness with influenza, leading to higher rates of hospitalization, more prolonged intensive care unit (ICU) stays and higher fatality rates (0.88 per 100,000 children) than almost any other age group."
source

Keep in mind that for very young children, influenza can be quite dangerous.
Mine almost died from it due a rapid secondary infection of pneumonia.

Older children, are, as you say, at far less risk.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #215 on: January 19, 2022, 08:28:05 am »
And yet children receive a flu vaccine at an early age. Where were the anti-vaxxers then?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #216 on: January 20, 2022, 11:16:18 am »
BS for which you have no source beyond your gaping maw.

Jordan Peterson said it... in an article published in a newspaper... so must be true... right?   :undecided:
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________

How long are we going to flail about, hiding behind our masks, afraid to send our children (who are in no danger more serious than risk of the flu) to school, charging university students full tuition for tenth-rate online “education,” pitting family member against family member over vaccine policy and, most seriously, compromising the great economic engine upon which our health also depends?

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jordan-peterson-open-the-damn-country-back-up-before-canadians-wreck-something-we-cant-fix

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #217 on: January 20, 2022, 07:35:10 pm »
Jordan Peterson said it... in an article published in a newspaper... so must be true... right?   :undecided:
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________

How long are we going to flail about, hiding behind our masks, afraid to send our children (who are in no danger more serious than risk of the flu) to school, charging university students full tuition for tenth-rate online “education,” pitting family member against family member over vaccine policy and, most seriously, compromising the great economic engine upon which our health also depends?

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jordan-peterson-open-the-damn-country-back-up-before-canadians-wreck-something-we-cant-fix
It's an opinion column.