• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
Re: Inflation eating away your savings?
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2021, 07:42:35 am »
#1 is wrong.   I came to Korea in 2000

#2 is also incorrect.

#3 The apartment doubled in 2 years.  We sold it for 3.5x what we paid for it after 13 years

#4  The statement is your purely subjective opinion. (= meaningless...but you want to emphasize your point)

#5  My wife made less than I did, then she made more.  Soon she will give up her salary over time to be together

#6  Having children is a family's choice.  If you want to blame us for not having any, feel free.

#7  I have no student loan balance anywhere, nor any amount outstanding...anywh ere.

You seem to feel pretty proud about your feelings with only 1 correct fact.  Congratulations.  However despite how you feel, the facts simply do not match up.

Pls try again.  Why should I feel bad about making a career back in Canada while I currently live in Victoria?

It doesn't really make any difference whether you arrived in 2000 or 2 years later.

The figures that I wrote were posted by you here or elsewhere. Like I said, I could be off a bit but not much. It makes no difference if you bought your place for 50 or 55 million. Or if it was 1 or 3 years after you arrived. The point was: you already had most of the money with you when you got here and it was dirt cheap back then.
I definitely remember that you wrote a 6 times increase on your property value. So one of your posts isn't true.

Not blaming anyone for not having a child. I just pointed out a fact. And obviously it makes a huge difference in one's financials. Just like a working spouse and no maternity leave or such.

The same way, if you paid back your student loans, you wouldn't be where you are at now. Because #7 is true as I wrote: you didn't pay back your student loans.

So all in all, nothing impressive. You didn't do anything remarkable. Certainly not something to boast about. As you see, nobody is really amazed by your ''accomplishments''. And that is without knowing some of the details that you revealed earlier.

You and some obvious trolls are the only ones that come here to brag about their lifestyle and financials. Ever wondered why? No, it's not because there are no other members here that are more successful than you are. There are many. Somehow they don't feel the need to periodically report here their finances and to bash others that are mostly in their twenties, therefore at a totally different stage in their lives.
You do, and that indicates some serious issues.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 12:05:53 pm by Lazio »

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2021, 08:00:55 am »
You remind me of the guys this person is talking about. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DsnIcout9g

First up, the guy takes 8 minutes to tell people they should think about their financial future?
Second up  He says  'I've seen it a lot,  I've seen some guys who are great teachers and they're really nice but they get caught up in this position where they're glad to pour your coffee for ten bucks an hour. ' He made this up. I've been in TEFL a long time and I've never even heard a story about an old washed up TEFL teacher working in a cafe somewhere for 10 bucks an hour, never mind witnessed it myself  'a lot.' I call BS.  Not saying it's never happened, just saying this guy has not seen it 'a lot.' It's a popular idea that EFL teachers just coast along not thinking about their futures but if you actually talk to them everyone I've met over 40 has some idea about how they're going to retire

When you do come across older EFL teachers working in a dead end low paid TEFL job it's usually for one of three reasons. They have some underlying problem. mental health, alcoholism etc.,  they've got some cushy inheritance waiting for them back in their home countries, or they're already financially secure from a previous job. 

« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 10:26:03 am by grimlock2 »

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Vancouver Island
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2021, 02:50:08 pm »
It doesn't really make any difference whether you arrived in 2000 or 2 years later.

The figures that I wrote were posted by you here or elsewhere. Like I said, I could be off a bit but not much. It makes no difference if you bought your place for 50 or 55 million. Or if it was 1 or 3 years after you arrived. The point was: you already had most of the money with you when you got here and it was dirt cheap back then.
I definitely remember that you wrote a 6 times increase on your property value. So one of your posts isn't true.

Not blaming anyone for not having a child. I just pointed out a fact. And obviously it makes a huge difference in one's financials. Just like a working spouse and no maternity leave or such.

The same way, if you paid back your student loans, you wouldn't be where you are at now. Because #7 is true as I wrote: you didn't pay back your student loans.

So all in all, nothing impressive. You didn't do anything remarkable. Certainly not something to boast about. As you see, nobody is really amazed by your ''accomplishments''. And that is without knowing some of the details that you revealed earlier.

You and some obvious trolls are the only ones that come here to brag about their lifestyle and financials. Ever wondered why? No, it's not because there are no other members here that are more successful than you are. There are many. Somehow they don't feel the need to periodically report here their finances and to bash others that are mostly in their twenties, therefore at a totally different stage in their lives.
You do, and that indicates some serious issues.

It takes a ‘special’ individual who clings to their delusions. 

Do you have a history of receiving mental health services?   Because you are absolutely incorrect.   

Sorry t9 burst your bubble. 

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2021, 03:22:38 pm »

During my 20 years here I got an M.Ed from the U.K. (NOT MATESOL), and an accounting degree in Canada. 

During my 20 years here, I spent 15 years as a salaried university faculty member (with the employment papers from my universities to support this).  This established my employment history which is far more respested and marketable than teaching at a hogwan or ding-ding-dang school.  My work experience and credentials were the reason why I was hired for my postion.  The choices and effort I made translated into the ability to return home, get a very reasonable salary and a level of comfort (and clean air) you cannot find in Korea.

Also, Windows98 was a solid OS.  You should not be ragging on MS for making a decent product that could play games.

I AM THE MARKETABLE POWER.

HEAR ME ROAR.

The lol vibes are delicious.
oo oo ahh ahh

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2021, 03:32:51 pm »
Ahh that was unkind.

You da good market boi, KoreaLol.

It is totally normal and healthy to think and speak of yourself in MARKETABLE terms. I'm really impressed by your MARKETABLE mad playa skillz. The level of comfort you mention, mm mm mmmmmmm. That's MARKETABLE for ya. Yummity yum yum.
oo oo ahh ahh

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2021, 07:17:36 pm »
When you do come across older EFL teachers working in a dead end low paid TEFL job it's usually for one of three reasons. They have some underlying problem. mental health, alcoholism etc.,  they've got some cushy inheritance waiting for them back in their home countries, or they're already financially secure from a previous job. 

A lot of older EFL teachers are escaping debt back home, often gambling debt. Or teaching abroad IS their retirement plan, because they know they'd never make $2000 to $3000 a month back home. The ones who don't need to save every penny or escape every creditor are the ones who go home after one year. So places like South Korea get stuck with indebted losers who can never leave.

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2021, 08:37:42 pm »
Yeah? How do you know this, did they tell you they were escaping gambling debt back home? Where did you meet these guys, in bars or did you actually work with them? I'm not casting aspersions on your anecdotes or anything but in my experience guys you meet in bars are much more likely to spout off stuff like Koreaboo does than admit to being desperate economic migrants

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2021, 09:49:43 pm »
It takes a ‘special’ individual who clings to their delusions. 

Do you have a history of receiving mental health services?   Because you are absolutely incorrect.   

Sorry t9 burst your bubble. 

Seriously!? That's the best you could come up with?

I would say, I was pretty accurate.
Looks like your memory is failing you.

2nd larger investment was to purchase a modest 26py apt @ 54.5M won on the outskirts of the city.  That was paid off within a year & today is valued nearly 300M.

Actually, I paid off my apartment after 1 year. To me, the house was within my purchase comfort zone, was paid off (I have zero debt) and the market value increased nearly 6-fold.

my apt is worth about 6x more than what I paid for it
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 09:56:19 pm by Lazio »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2021, 08:14:21 am »
Remind us again, during the roughly 20yrs you've spent bitching about low wages, how much of that time did you
spend improving your qualifications?

You're the last person who should be giving advice on doing courses and switching jobs. You've been here almost as
long as the Windows 98 CD sitting in my school's library.

Remind me again when I said I was here for 20 years?  Remind me again when I said the wages weren't good at one time?  Remind me again when did I say that I don't make above average salary here? 

Just because I make above average here doesn't mean I'm still not insulted the way most English teachers are treated here nowadays.  Even if the low pay is not me, if I lost this job, I would have to leave.  I'm happy there are a couple of you that were rich kids who had a lot of money before you came here and that your rich families paid your universities so you had no debt, but that doesn't mean you should be obnoxious towards everyone else trying to make a living and get ahead.  The reality is, I knew lots of folks back home who use to say: "go to Korea and make a lot of money".  It was done by word of mouth.  No Facebook and social media then.  Recruiters still say that even though it's no longer true and it shows how many are unethical willing to lie to get a commission.  Vultures really.  I watch quite a few videos of newbies on YouTube who quickly realize the money isn't what they thought.  I also see comments on many other groups of folks saying the same thing.  I posted an example of that. 

Just because I make more than many esl'ers doesn't mean I should somehow be arrogant, flippant, and dismissive of the majority who are stuck in low pay.  I appreciate there are a few long termers who don't mind working for low pay cause they came from a well off background.  But, that doesn't apply to the majority. 

So, in summary, I haven't been here for 20 years even if you're too dumb to know how to read.  The wages, especially the last 3 to 4 years have been in need of being raised no matter how much that offends you.  You may think 2.1 is great, so go ahead and go back to living in your fake world.  Plus your ears and close your eyes.  Hear no evil and see no evil.  La la la la la la la la. 

« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2021, 08:42:59 am »
Remind me again when did I say that I don't make above average salary here? 

Just because I make above average here...

Just because I make more than many esl'ers...

All from a single post... I'lll just leave this here
This is why you're mocked

Just because I make above average here...

You DO NOT make an 'above average salary'. You make the same as all other public school teachers + an extra 'ship maan' or two because you do a few private lessons (unless you're talking BS, which you're well known for). A higher salary is paid to some of a higher position so, again, YOU DO NOT EARN MORE MONEY THAN ANY OTHER PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER ON EPIK.

If you want to see you can hustle a few privates and some overtime each month, go ahead, but YOU DO NOT EARN A HIGHER SALARY!

I'm happy there are a couple of you that were rich kids who had a lot of money before you came here and that your rich families paid your universities so you had no debt

For someone who is absolutely miserable that he wasn't born into money, you check all the boxes of a spoilt brat:

- You blame everyone and everything but yourself for the way things are.
- You don't improve yourself and simply rely things you didn't work for; white skin, a Canadian passport and your
   mother tongue to get you a job.
- You don't understand how the world works (Profit comes before your feelings, if you're weak, naive or stupid you'll get
  taken advantage of). Nobody owes you a damn thing, including sympathy or higher wages just because you want it.
- You propose no effective solution to get what you want (more money) other than whining, crying and threatening to
  run away.

Typically, I'd leave you alone, but I have a special disdain for hypocrites who try to preach to others what to do. You have no business lecturing young people on what to do or criticising them for their choices.

You're 45yrs old, grow up!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 11:15:58 am by Aristocrat »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2021, 01:26:20 pm »
All from a single post... I'lll just leave this here
This is why you're mocked

You DO NOT make an 'above average salary'. You make the same as all other public school teachers + an extra 'ship maan' or two because you do a few private lessons (unless you're talking BS, which you're well known for). A higher salary is paid to some of a higher position so, again, YOU DO NOT EARN MORE MONEY THAN ANY OTHER PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER ON EPIK.

If you want to see you can hustle a few privates and some overtime each month, go ahead, but YOU DO NOT EARN A HIGHER SALARY!

For someone who is absolutely miserable that he wasn't born into money, you check all the boxes of a spoilt brat:

- You blame everyone and everything but yourself for the way things are.
- You don't improve yourself and simply rely things you didn't work for; white skin, a Canadian passport and your
   mother tongue to get you a job.
- You don't understand how the world works (Profit comes before your feelings, if you're weak, naive or stupid you'll get
  taken advantage of). Nobody owes you a damn thing, including sympathy or higher wages just because you want it.
- You propose no effective solution to get what you want (more money) other than whining, crying and threatening to
  run away.

Typically, I'd leave you alone, but I have a special disdain for hypocrites who try to preach to others what to do. You have no business lecturing young people on what to do or criticising them for their choices.

You're 45yrs old, grow up!

I'm not 45 and you grow up.  Always having to get the last word in or what?

The average esler makes 2.1 to 2.3 million won.  I am up a million over that excluding the housing and into the upper 3's including the housing.  So, I am above average compared to most of the other foreign English teachers.  Including housing, most get into the mid 2's, a few get into the upper 2's.  Not as many including the housing get into the upper 3's.  So, keep complaining to me or go fight with your own employer demanding a raise too.  Or country hop to make more.  Don't take it out on me.  Still instead of being an asshole claiming I got my own, I still think the wages should rise for everyone including those beneath me on the pay scale.  If you don't care about them, so what? 

So, tell me, how many esl teachers got a masters degree here and then got a uni job still paying 2.1 or maybe slightly more, but pretty much the same low pay?  Did spending that time and money just to make the same as what others were making years ago make you feel better about yourself or that you got ripped off?  I already said if I were offered 2.1 to 2.3, I'd be gone.  I chose not to spend the time and money because I dn't have sucker stamped to my forehead.  I get there is a bit more free time, though unis have been upping the camp requirements, etc.  Seriously, if it's slackness you want, just go to China and get a uni or even a tier two city public job.  Better pay and no "increased work and declining work conditions creep". 

As for these market conditions you seem resigned to, well if more of you bailed on Korea and walked away for 2 to 3 years, you could later come back to a job market with much better pay and much better work conditions.  But of course none of you will do that, right?  Either fall into two camps?  Make excuses for it or bitch about it?  Well, I can tell you if I were 2.1 to 2.3, I wouldn't stay and bitch about it; I'd be gone.  I do speak of it hoping some of you wise up.  To each their own. 

• Swervy
  • Adventurer

• March 09, 2021, 12:56:54 pm
    • Incheon, SK
    more
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2021, 02:44:15 pm »
- You earn a bit more than a kid in their early 20s, with their whole life ahead of them
- You're super qualified and have nothing to learn in the pedagogical field
- Korean women are stampeding to get near you
- You're about to turn 30
- You're jacked AF and are definitely not fat

Bahahaha, good ol' waygook bringing a smile to my face at the end of each work day. :)
I don't get in shape. I bring the gym to my house and I throw it around.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2021, 09:22:41 pm »
If anyone is actually interested in make some real money. Be advised thought, this post is rated HW for hard work required.

Truck drivers wanted.

This comes after a supply chain shortage has impacted the country.

Driver Thomas Glass gassed up his truck Sunday and cleaned off his windshield before he headed out for another busy week on the road.

“I’m always busy,” Glass said. “I’m running between 3,500 miles a week,” Glass said.

Some trucking companies are offering bonuses for drivers who apply. Distributor Sysco is offering salaries of up to $110,000 per year along with a $15,000 bonus.

Glass said the company he works for even has a referral program.

“The bonus has been between three to five thousand dollars just to refer somebody to drive,” said Glass.

The job requires mental focus and being on the road for long hours. Glass said it is rewarding.

“It’s a good career. It going to allow you to see some things that you’ve never seen before. You’re going to experience some things you’ve never experienced before,” Glass said.