Read 1656 times

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Old age in the rice fields
« on: October 10, 2021, 10:38:45 pm »
Chung Ki-seon, a researcher at Seoul National University, predicted that the need for migrant labor is only going to increase as the Korean population ages and shrinks — especially in the labor-intensive agriculture industry, where more and more foreign and undocumented workers continue to be used.

The approximate age of the [Korean] people working the fields right now is over 70,” she told NPR this year. “And once they reach 75 or older, it will be hard for them to remain in the workforce.”
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ali-squid-game-making-migrant-201710449.html

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: Old age in the rice fields
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 06:50:39 am »
Damn.

I see very, very old people: men & women, pulling huge *** cardboard trolleys and I think: we gotta help them somehow.

An old women refused my handful of money with such vigor that it took me four years to realize I could donate in December under the guise "Merry Christmas!"

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 09:19:14 am »
Damn.

I see very, very old people: men & women, pulling huge *** cardboard trolleys and I think: we gotta help them somehow.

An old women refused my handful of money with such vigor that it took me four years to realize I could donate in December under the guise "Merry Christmas!"

A big part of the reason they're collecting boxes is pride, not poverty.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 09:53:52 am »
Anecdotally, and what I know, some cardboard (and plastic) collectors are not so poor (as Aristocrat said)

For others, earning 10,000 won a day for their efforts, keeps a bit of extra food on the table. That's pretty sad.

A slightly special needs old fella comes around every 3 months and takes all our broken down boxes, old student books, cans, plastic, and anything else we add, away (we have a collection area). He has one of those rotary hoe tractors, with a big cage trailer on the back.He loves the books because of weight...more money.

Also add, we know of half a dozen collectors in town, that are also hoarders. Their yards and houses are full of everything you could imagine. Basically junkyards in and amongst other houses. Looks terrible, but really handy if you want to buy something cheap like a parking cone.

As for the rice fields, where I live is basically a town with rice fields and tunnel houses in all directions. What I see is old people in the fields and younger people growing stuff in the tunnel houses. We know a few people who have stopped growing rice due to old age, and their land sits empty. No one wants to buy and carry on with growing rice. Their kids are also just not interested.  Maybe in time the land will sell and someone will put up more tunnel houses, or the local body will do a bit of rezoning. Who knows! But it is a problem going forward, given Korea's reliance on rice as a staple. Could also toss up some environmental problems, given developers mindsets and some local governments need for investment money and new and shiny buildings.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 11:43:17 am by Kurt Sorensen »

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 11:03:48 am »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ali-squid-game-making-migrant-201710449.html

This is actually good news.  We can all take over farming duties
when the ESL market completely collapses.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 12:08:54 pm »
A big part of the reason they're collecting boxes is pride, not poverty.
This is something a lot of people, especially the young, don't get about poverty generations. A lot of them lived in such desperate times that they're driven to work even if they may not have to because "You always work" and also you don't want to be seen as useless or dependent. You'll also see them be obsessive about things like saving food or still rushing to be front of the que and stuff like that.

Credit to the older generation here, they seem to grasp that sitting around watching tv at home is not healthy and that they need to stay active and sociable. If you look at the relative health into old age of people here or in Jaapan vs. Back Home there's a big difference in general though plenty if exceptions..

Back home one of my neighbors ran a farm for 10 years after her husband died into her 90s, by herself. Bringing in a crop every year. Wouldn't stop and if you tried to make her, she'd send a load of bird-shot your way. You also read about those old people who work some odd job into their 90s or something and don't want to quit. Why? They get a sense of purpose and that they're useful and they get social interaction.

I know a lot of people are well-meaning on this, but some simply dont grasp that some people WANT to work. Even if it is just the mail cart or picking up cardboard.pp

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 12:58:59 pm »
You're spot on Marti.
Work ethic is something overlooked. For some, working is living an enjoyable and productive life. Take your job away and there is not much to look forward to. Life's pattern has been broken. Social connections and fellowship, also gone.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 01:01:41 pm by Kurt Sorensen »

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 07:27:38 pm »
If you really think collecting those boxes isn't about poverty, I have some beachfront land to sell you in Arizona. No way 97% of old people, who have a comfortable living, is going to go out there in the elements to collect cardboard that will barely earn them a few thousand won a day.

• JNM
  • Waygook Lord

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 08:06:07 pm »
Agricultural labour and farm succession planning is a big issue in most developed countries. I think the small size of Korean farms makes it more complicated because they don’t lend themselves to owner/investors (as opposed to the more traditional owner/operators)

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 08:33:51 pm »
If you don't give away 100,000 won or more this year (Christmas season at least) then you are a piece of... the problem, not the solution.

Let's make people's day.

Let's have a 100 Acts of Kindness thread.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 01:58:03 am »
If you don't give away 100,000 won or more this year (Christmas season at least) then you are a piece of... the problem, not the solution.

Let's make people's day.

I've given away more than that so I guess I'm not a piece of whatever.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 05:08:37 am »
Nice!

"Merry Christmas" is a great cover for helping poor old people without loss of face.

Let's make this a great season of giving!

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 08:27:04 am »
I'll pay around 60 million in taxes this year. Does that count?

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 08:53:35 am »
I'll pay around 60 million in taxes this year. Does that count?

60M!!! Who are you, Elon Musk? Is this income tax or property tax? Or are you selling
an apartment? Transfer taxes are mental these days.

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 09:33:09 am »
60M!!! Who are you, Elon Musk? Is this income tax or property tax? Or are you selling
an apartment? Transfer taxes are mental these days.

None of it is income tax.
The largest chunk is acquisition tax. Besides that, property tax, vehicle tax. Ah, and some gift tax in the coming months. So that would easily push it above 60M.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 12:02:06 pm »
This is actually good news.  We can all take over farming duties
when the ESL market completely collapses.

Well, the migrant factory jobs already are paying more.  If they have a shortage of farmers and can't import too much, then, most certainly they will have to pay more due to a shortage of workers. 

Given I have seen some factory jobs paying 2.7 to 3 million won and beyond, I am surprised many jobless Koreans don't do it, at least temporarily. 

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 12:02:50 pm »

Go on Van, you start a '100 Acts of Kindness' thread.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 12:07:15 pm »

Let's make people's day.

I gave some extra food and a man won to an elderly woman who lives near my area always looking through the trash even the leftover food bins.  I slip a man won once in a while to some elderly collecting the boxes.  Cause they aren't doing it just to be active as one poster suggested.  They are actually doing it because they have nothing and the Korean government pays them a pittance.  They worked hard to build the country up and help it develop but they got very little in return.  A kind of disgrace really.  I am not big into social spending at all.  But for these folsk, I'd make an exception and double the pittance they receive (and even then it is not much). 

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 12:15:35 pm »
Given I have seen some factory jobs paying 2.7 to 3 million won and beyond, I am surprised many jobless Koreans don't do it, at least temporarily. 

Below their station in life, at a guess.
I teach many university students during vacation times. Most take a a factory job, and most quit within a week. Sometimes even a day. Too tiring is the excuse from all.

Reminds me of NZ in the 70s/80s bringing in Polynesian people to work in the factories. NZers were just too lazy, even though the money was livable. Many thought it was demeaning work.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 12:24:29 pm »
Below their station in life, at a guess.
I teach many university students during vacation times. Most take a a factory job, and most quit within a week. Sometimes even a day. Too tiring is the excuse from all.

Reminds me of NZ in the 70s/80s bringing in Polynesian people to work in the factories. NZers were just too lazy, even though the money was livable. Many thought it was demeaning work.

You can be right on that in some ways.  I must say here I would have a hard time in summer due to the heat.  Prob not air conditioned here.  But the cold months no problem (As long as they don't crank the heat to 28 or 30 degrees inside.)