Read 1102 times

• tik2018
  • Waygookin

• February 21, 2018, 01:05:19 pm
Quitting midway through an EPIK contract without 60-day notice
« on: September 15, 2021, 09:59:51 am »
Does anyone know the actual consequences of quitting your contract early? I received a great job opportunity through the US military rather than teaching EPIK, but the position will begin in like a month whereas my contract does not end until March. If I quit my current contract, will I still be able to change my visa? I know it would be difficult to do so if it were another teaching position, but maybe it would be different since I'll be working for a totally different position? Any ideas or insight would be appreciated. I'm in Gyeonggi province if that matters!

Re: Quitting midway through an EPIK contract without 60-day notice
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 10:22:32 am »
Your contract may impact your ability to change jobs even under a different visa. Iíd call Seoul global center and ask for some counseling regarding it.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 02:08:54 pm »
Does anyone know the actual consequences of quitting your contract early? I received a great job opportunity through the US military rather than teaching EPIK, but the position will begin in like a month whereas my contract does not end until March. If I quit my current contract, will I still be able to change my visa? I know it would be difficult to do so if it were another teaching position, but maybe it would be different since I'll be working for a totally different position? Any ideas or insight would be appreciated. I'm in Gyeonggi province if that matters!

If you quit EPIK, they never give a letter of release no matter what.  If you work for the US military, you work for them and they give you whatever visa you need or live on base.  I don't think Korea really has a say in who the US brings in and puts on base.  You should call the army to make sure.  But I doubt you need anything.  Your E2 would be cancelled after you quit anyways.  So, the army would just give you whatever you need. 

I do ironically know a lot over the past year on F visas who quit their EPIK contract long termers, who have been fed up with things lately.  You are probably not on an F visa though.  Anyways, with their contracts getting crappier every year and no pay raises (even for those of us who make more), you don't owe them anything. 

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 10:56:26 am »
Look them in the eye and tell them in a calm voice "We saved your ass in the Korean War." They will know to act gratefully and deferentially after that.
oo oo ahh ahh

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 12:53:55 pm »
Iíve mentioned this tactic before, and Iíve come to the realization itís fool proof.*  Sit down with whatever person you need a favour from (man or woman) and tell them you think youíve fallen in love with them.  They will do whatever it takes to extricate themselves from this situation in the speediest and most efficient way possible.  That includes giving you the LOR so that nothing drags on and they never have to see you again.

*Do not employ this method if the person in question is a dowdy, socially awkward woman/man that is desperate for a relationship. Iíve seen it backfire before. 

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 02:50:38 pm »
Impregnate your Coteacher or get impregnated, consensually! It may not help your situation but itís funny to think about.

Hope this helps.

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Vancouver Island
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 11:55:00 am »

Quitting your contract is perfectly fine in Korea.  There is no legal penalty that can be applied to you other than not providing you with a letter of release (to get another Korean work visa).  If you are hired by the military, they will put you on a SOFA A-3 visa which the Korean gov't cannot refuse.  You will work in Korea and your past visa status will not impact your employment.

Congrats on deciding to serve in uniform!   It's a great feeling.   :)

• tik2018
  • Waygookin

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 01:11:37 pm »

Thank you guys for the helpful responses :) I got the job and am in process of making the switch. My school keeps muttering things about penalties but I'm not sure if there are any real repercussions. I'll see as time passes. However, KoreaBoo I'm not joining the military as a soldier, I'm just working on the military base.

• tik2018
  • Waygookin

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 03:37:08 pm »
Update: apparently legally they are within their rights and there's nothing I can do but negotiate with the school, which the school does not want to do so I am SOL. It's been frustrating and stressful for sure, but there is pretty much nothing I can do.