Read 1310 times

• Sagi Keun
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2018, 11:47:23 am
    • Los Angeles
Ajosshis still hitting women
« on: October 06, 2021, 10:19:13 pm »

I saw an ajosshi playfully hit a woman around the head today. Sure, it was a joke and she didn't seem to mind too much. Either his ife or gf.. But... that's how abuse starts.

Usually on a Saturday night you can hear the screams of Korean women being punched or kicked echoing from the streets, along with the gorilla- cries of alcohol driven males. So its a problem that hasn't really gone away.

Korean women account for more than half of all homicide victims, making it one of the highest rates of female murder in the world. According to a 2014 study by the Korea Womenís Hotline, nearly 90 percent of female respondents said they had experienced physical or emotional abuse from a romantic partner. Workplace harassment and discrimination, domestic violence, rapeónone of these is legal. But clearly, the laws themselves do not provide sufficient deterrence for perpetrators of sexual- or gender-based violence.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/08/10/south-korea-needs-to-contend-with-sexual-violence/

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
Re: Ajosshis still hitting women
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 04:42:29 am »

Usually on a Saturday night you can hear the screams of Korean women being punched or kicked echoing from the streets, along with the gorilla- cries of alcohol driven males. So its a problem that hasn't really gone away.

Yeah this is something I noticed when I first arrived back in the late 90s but much less so just before I left. I suspect it was more about the neighbourhood that I lived though or perhaps I'd been so desensitized that I didn't notice it anymore. It was part of a pretty horrific initiation into Korea at the old apartment complex that my first hogwan housed me initially. Those 'gorilla cries' that you accurately describe 'echoing from the streets'  were unforgettable.     
Having said that, unfortunately, violence against women is still fairly endemic in some other relatively developed countries around the world. Please forgive me for playing the role of our resident Korean Sentry on this one.   
Here's an example of what I'm on about.

https://www.ourwatch.org.au/quick-facts/
On average, one woman a week is murdered by her current or former partner.1
1 in 3 Australian women (30.5%) has experienced physical violence since the age of 15.2
1 in 5 Australian women (18.4%) has experienced sexual violence since the age of 15.3
1 in 3 Australian women (34.2%) has experienced physical and/or sexual violence perpetrated by a man since the age of 15.4

Unlike that other chap though, I've at least made a token effort to support my claims with some evidence.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 04:44:42 am by Adel »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 06:13:46 am »
Nearly 90% vs. 30.5%

Very different.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 06:29:27 am »
Nearly 90% vs. 30.5%

Very different.

Not that I'm disputing those numbers but a little more detail might be helpful. 90% vs. 30.5% of what exactly ?

nearly 90 percent of female respondents said they had experienced physical or emotional abuse from a romantic partner

If that's what you were referring too. I'd be interested in what counts as emotional abuse. My wife accuses me of that when I sometimes forget the date of our  anniversary.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 06:36:00 am by Adel »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 10:33:18 am »
I saw an ajosshi playfully hit a woman around the head today. Sure, it was a joke and she didn't seem to mind too much. Either his ife or gf.. But... that's how abuse starts.

Is this a joke?

This is how abuse starts? 

You got a lot ot learn about teasing and flirtation buddy boy.  A light tap or even shaking your fist and your lady even giving you a punch in return.  It builds tension in a good way and is teasing.  Honestly, the plot is lost on you woke kids. 

Real abuse, sure, clamp down on it, charge 'em, smack them down, etc.  But playful flirtation?  Lighten up and learn a thing or two. 

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 10:54:28 am »
If that were true, what about the Korean boyfriends who also get abused by their girlfriend that's slapping or shouting at them in public?

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 11:12:04 am »
hangook, master of flirtation, educating us again
more gg more skill

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 11:20:27 am »
Is this a joke?

This is how abuse starts? 

You got a lot ot learn about teasing and flirtation buddy boy.  A light tap or even shaking your fist and your lady even giving you a punch in return.  It builds tension in a good way and is teasing.  Honestly, the plot is lost on you woke kids. 

Real abuse, sure, clamp down on it, charge 'em, smack them down, etc.  But playful flirtation?  Lighten up and learn a thing or two. 

I actually agree with the guy for once.

If I slap my wife's butt or she slaps mine is that abuse?

Abuse isn't a linear progression, by that logic touching your girlfriend's hand will eventually lead to dismemberment.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 11:25:35 am »

Someone's got to teach you "woke" kids about the real world. 

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 11:27:43 am »
Stop talking about abuse :(
Peace, love, and sticky icky, y'all!
Pork sandwiches are on me ;)
Join the WhenInRome Fan Club!
Shout out to Mr. DeMartino... the first member. Thank you my son! ;)

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 11:35:42 am »
The last time my Mrs slapped me on my rock hard glutes she nearly broke her hand. I hope that doesn't count as abuse!

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 11:39:37 am »
:laugh:

let me be clear.. i have no idea what sagi keun is on about. i just think it's funny hangook is giving out flirting advice
more gg more skill

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 12:10:53 pm »
:laugh:

let me be clear.. i have no idea what sagi keun is on about. i just think it's funny hangook is giving out flirting advice

Go to Starbucks. Don't talk about BTS. That's all you need to know.
"in real life I have a Mensa level IQ. Thatís the opposite of mentally retarded. People have told me Iím the smartest person theyíve ever met. Has anyone said that to you? Probably not."

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 12:16:59 pm »

Seriously, you candies.  If you're at your local Starbucks and give one of the flirting staff members who flirtatiously said "Good morning" when you walked in a slap on the rump, and she turns around and throws a scalding pot of coffee in your face are you going to go crying to momma? 

You guys got a lot to learn.  That's the sensual dance of attraction.  Hangook gets it. 

• Sagi Keun
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2018, 11:47:23 am
    • Los Angeles
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 11:18:44 pm »
It builds tension in a good way and is teasing.  Honestly, the plot is lost on you woke kids. 

Hark at the internet dating guru. Who are you copying and pasting from, Jincy Kelly?

Sure, slapping her ass or shoulder may be a fun flirting move but I think you'll that cuffing a woman round the head is overstepping the line with the vast majority of women in the west and probably in the world.  It was a fairly solid cuff, not just a gentle tap. Korean women think its normal because violence against women is regarded as normal in this society.  They've become habituated to this kind of schoolboyish horseplay- punching etc because its all that ajosshis have in their arsenal, but it's abnormal and a sign of a patriarchal culture where domestic violence is rife just under the surface.

Are you seriously saying that you have cuffed a woman round the head as part of your "flirtation" routine? I don't think so. Most women would get really pissed at that and probably delete your number. Its demeaning, even in jest.

Any psychologist will tell you to beware of someone who does that, no matter how playful, because it indicates a basic tendency to overstep boundaries and use physical force. It often progresses to worse behavior later.

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Vancouver Island
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2021, 12:38:20 am »
Correct me if I am wrong.  But as far as the SJW reality goes.  There is no longer such a thing as a 'woman' anymore.

Welcome to the world the SJWs have created for themselves!

https://slate.com/human-interest/2016/07/theres-no-such-thing-as-a-male-body.html

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2021, 03:48:35 am »
But wouldn't a light tap knock the Starbucks cup out of your hand?

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 08:12:58 am »
But wouldn't a light tap knock the Starbucks cup out of your hand?

Guess you'll have to tell me champ. 

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 04:14:01 pm »
I read a post from a foreigner about an experience he had then read the gorilla cries of sweeping generalizations and opinions stated as facts.

Sure it's a forum, but that's where stupidity starts.

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 04:51:54 pm »