Read 3374 times

Re: US States ranked by fully vaccinated
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2021, 02:12:00 pm »
I should apply the standard to those afflicted with Strawmanitis.
It's not a strawman. It's about a consistent set of ethical standards when administering triage. You cannot have those standards be subjective and down to YOUR individual personal preferences based on YOUR view. You have to come up with objective standards.
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2021, 02:14:54 pm »
Triage isn't necessary for drug ODs being taken to the ER? How about criminals who are shot during the course of criminal activity? Do they get denied treatment?

They do.
Some insurance policies exclude injury sustained while committing a crime.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2021, 02:20:03 pm »
Do you apply this standard to HIV patients who got infected through IV-drug use or unprotected sex? To overweight people? To smokers? To people who engage in dangerous or risky sports?

This is about personal responsibility regarding Covid. Pretty sure that a person with HIV can still get vaccinated. That is what you’re asking, right?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2021, 02:25:21 pm »
Triage isn't necessary for drug ODs being taken to the ER? How about criminals who are shot during the course of criminal activity? Do they get denied treatment?
Not if the hospital has the capacity to treat them. Otherwise, I imagine they do. 
:undecided:
This precedent is, in my opinion, why ultimately, doctors will be able to use vax status as part of their triage equations.

I do too. Clearly the problem is how do we kill both the unvaccinated, as well as the obese, drug addicts, AIDS patients and motorcyclists who didn't wear a helmet when they show up at the ICU? I propose that upon examination of their records, a mechanical arm holding a pillow is immediately activated and administered over the no longer considered a person's face, thereby resulting in cessation of life function within 120 seconds, freeing the unit up for someone else. We already have robot arms. And we already have pillows, so this shouldn't be too hard.
Nonono. You just don't allocate the resources necessary to extend their lives. Because those same resources could save multiple other lives.
No need to go waste resources hurrying the process up. That would be counter-productive, not to mention unethical.

« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2021, 03:55:44 pm »
They do.
Some insurance policies exclude injury sustained while committing a crime.
But the hospital will still treat them and stabilize. It's only after that they pay.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2021, 05:30:45 am »
"Oct. 4, 2021 -- Health officials in Alaska activated the state’s emergency crisis protocols on Saturday to allow 20 medical facilities to ration care if needed.

Alaska has reported the nation’s highest COVID-19 cases per 100,000 residents in recent days, pushing the health care system to a breaking point. Three hospitals already had emergency protocols for rationing care, including Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage, which is the state’s largest hospital.

“Today’s action recognizes that Alaska has an interconnected and interdependent health care system, requiring the need for activation of the state’s decision-making framework,” the state health department wrote in a statement.

Several factors led to the announcement, according to The Associated Press, including scarce medical resources, limited staff, limited bed availability and difficulty transferring patients between facilities. Fairbanks Memorial Hospital, for instance, activated its own crisis protocols on Friday due to shortages in beds, staff and monoclonal antibody treatments.

This is the first time during the pandemic that Alaska’s hospitals have been forced to make decisions about who should receive treatment and who should wait.

A team of doctors at Providence Alaska Medical Center, for instance, has been using a formula to score patients on their potential of dying and consulting with an ethicist to make decisions. In a recent case, two patients with critical COVID-19 needed to use a specialized dialysis machine. The team selected the person who was more likely to live to start dialysis. The other patient died."

It doesn't note if vaccination status was part of the decision. More than likely both were unvaccinated.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2021, 05:32:02 am »
Two. SPQR and Savant.
Two persons, then. Still not your people generalization.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2021, 07:08:37 am »
RE insurance and what it does and doesn't cover":

"If your partner or spouse is unvaccinated, it may cost you more in insurance fees — at least in Louisiana.

The state’s largest nonprofit health care provider, Ochsner Health, recently said that it was adding an extra charge — about $200 a month — for unvaccinated spouses and domestic partners who are covered by the company’s insurance plan.

The provider’s decision to charge extra was similar to a policy implemented by Delta Air Lines, which said that it would charge any employee who remains unvaccinated an additional $200 per month to remain on the company’s health care plan.

These employers are among the first to embrace an idea that has widely been discussed but is mired in legal uncertainty: charging unvaccinated employees more for health insurance.

Legally speaking, insurance surcharges are more complicated than simple employment mandates, which are widely considered legally sound. Federal law bars employers and insurers from charging higher prices to people with pre-existing health conditions. But the vaccine surcharges are being structured as employer “wellness” incentive programs, which are permitted under the Affordable Care Act.

Warner Thomas, the president of Ochsner Health, said medical and religious exemptions to the policy would be allowed, adding that it was not a mandate.

“The reality is the cost of treating Covid-19, particularly for patients requiring intensive inpatient care, is expensive,” he said."

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2021, 07:21:30 am »

And I still don’t care if unvaccinated people continue to die for refusing the vaccine for stupid reasons.

I agree. Anti-vaxxers are like dangerous, gibbering monkeys that
put others in society at risk. That is why Facebook, Twitter et al. have
now permanently removed their deluded rantings. Also why would you
let these psychopaths make the American healthcare system (The envy
of the world.) any more expensive? I think it was Darwin that postulated
a suitable future for characters like those.

« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2021, 01:13:39 pm »
I agree. Anti-vaxxers are like dangerous, gibbering monkeys that
put others in society at risk. That is why Facebook, Twitter et al. have
now permanently removed their deluded rantings.
If you think they did that because they "put society at risk", I have a bridge to sell you.

They did it to avoid regulation and liability on a hot button issue. One look at all the other conspiracy and quackery crap out there on those sites and it's clear that they don't care about stopping misinformation.