Read 1283 times

• Sagi Keun
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2018, 11:47:23 am
    • Los Angeles
Vietnam to teach Korean as first foreign language
« on: September 22, 2021, 04:22:18 pm »
(Yonhap) -- Vietnam has designated Korean as one of its first foreign languages, allowing it to be taught from primary school onward beginning this August, South Korean officials said Thursday.

Education of the Korean language has expanded in the Southeast Asian country, driven by the popularity of Korean pop culture and deepening economic ties between the two nations.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20210304010900325

Its good to know that koreans will get the experience of being ksl teachers in a foreign land..

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Re: Vietnam to teach Korean as first foreign language
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 05:29:22 pm »
Korea to provide over 1 million COVID shots to Vietnam in October

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20210922000155

Moon thanked Vietnam for choosing Korean as its first foreign language, allowing the language to be taught in Vietnamese schools at the primary level and onward.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 06:16:38 pm »
Education of the Korean language has expanded in the Southeast Asian country, driven by the popularity of Korean pop culture and deepening economic ties between the two nations.

Translation: ajusshi grooms are starting to get a bit annoyed with their mail-order brides not being perfectly fluent in Korean.

I wonder if the Vietnamese will call these teachers "foreigners" instead of Koreans, and treat them all like drug addicts and AIDS carriers who only want to party and corrupt the youth. Probably not.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 06:20:33 pm »
I'm not sure what they mean by a 'first' foreign language'. In the article it said 'it will be offered as an elective course to third-year primary schoolers and those in higher grades'. I assume they're not counting English, which would obviously be first choice as the international language. No Vietnamese kid is learning Korean and not English I wouldn't have thought. So in other words it's been accepted alongside Chinese, Japanese, French and Russian as a second option. Which is great by the way. I learned three foreign languages at school in the UK as a kid, where British kids nowadays aren't even required to learn one.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 08:39:34 pm »
Translation: ajusshi grooms are starting to get a bit annoyed with their mail-order brides not being perfectly fluent in Korean.

I wonder if the Vietnamese will call these teachers "foreigners" instead of Koreans, and treat them all like drug addicts and AIDS carriers who only want to party and corrupt the youth. Probably not.
Jeez Korea really did a number on some of you.

You don't even live here anymore man. Time to let shit go.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 10:46:46 am »
Jeez Korea really did a number on some of you.

You don't even live here anymore man. Time to let shit go.

You all have FAKE diploma too. 

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 11:01:07 am »
You all have FAKE diploma too. 

what?
more gg more skill

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 11:37:00 am »
what?

You never heard that one?  A lot of racist Koreans use to say that to question our legitimacy and also that we were not qualified even when most of us met the qualification.  These along with: we all have aids, all pedos, molesting Korean women, are credit delinquents (though that one was true for many), couldn't get a job back home, we were just temporary, and any other number of put downs to keep theri fellow Koreans (especially women) away from us. 

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 11:55:31 am »
You never heard that one?  A lot of racist Koreans use to say that to question our legitimacy and also that we were not qualified even when most of us met the qualification.  These along with: we all have aids, all pedos, molesting Korean women, are credit delinquents (though that one was true for many), couldn't get a job back home, we were just temporary, and any other number of put downs to keep theri fellow Koreans (especially women) away from us.

There was nothing they could do to keep the women away from you. The power of your attraction is too strong.
"in real life I have a Mensa level IQ. Thatís the opposite of mentally retarded. People have told me Iím the smartest person theyíve ever met. Has anyone said that to you? Probably not."

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 12:15:46 pm »
You know, some of the measures that Korea introduced were in response to actual incidents right?

I mean it's actually more baffling they DIDN'T take any of these steps at first. Who would hire with no CBC, no verified diploma, not making sure the person isn't able to get clean for 30 days, and handing out credit cards with no guarantee?

Some of those measures aren't racist, they were just basic precautions that Korea skipped on, you know something they get accused of fairly regularly.

Korea doesn't do background checks- Koreans are being reckless an unsafe. Typical Koreans.

Korea does do background checks- Koreans are being racist. Typical Koreans.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:36:24 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 12:32:50 pm »

Yes, xenophobia and racism was pretty rife here. Maybe when I arrived it was dying out, but I could essentially laugh in the face of any xenophobic remarks and tell said ajjushi to f*ck right off without consequence. The younger generation still get their obligatory 'Japan Bad' lessons, but quickly forget the nationalism once they discover Pokemon, Saitama and Nintendo Switch.   

To be fair, can you get a teaching job back home?

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 12:41:31 pm »
b̷͓̄l̸͔̆o̸̯̓o̷̻̾ḍ̶̓b̴̮̓l̶̩̀ơ̸͇ö̸̻d̷̟̕b̸͈̂l̸̘͐o̵͈̓o̸̫͝d̴̻̊b̶̜͂l̶̮̎o̵̳͐o̵͎͌d̵̘̽b̸̲͑l̴̗̒o̶̥̐ơ̷ͅd̷̞̃

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 08:15:47 am »
To be fair, can you get a teaching job back home?

As a Native English Teacher? Probably not, because English is the native language back home, lol. If we're in some alternate reality and I happened to grow up bilingual I might be able to get a similar gig as a Spanish tutor though.

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 02:00:11 pm »
I don't think you actually need teachers.  Kids learn foreign languages just fine without schooling.  Why is it that so many foreigners already know how to speak Korean but have never been to Korea before.  That's because they are learning it from simply watching Korean shows, movies, listening to korean songs, self-study driven by their passion for all things Korean (koreaboos) and making online Korean friends lol.

Seriously, I've never seen people in North America scrambling and looking around for Native Korean Teachers in their state or cities to learn Korean.  They just learn it by themselves on apps, online, or pop culture.  Meanwhile in Korea, so many of them scramble to look for hagwons and NETs to tutor their kids as if Korean kids can't really learn english on their own from just playing games, watching movies and shows like foreigners do to learn Korean.

Of course, if you need it to pass exams then yes maybe u need formal education but if you need it just to learn how to communicate, you really don't need formal education, schooling or teachers.     I think Vietnamese are learning Korean just fine without NKTs.    Don't forget, only the wealthy vietnamese can afford NKTs anyways.  It's not like Vietnamese are as prosperous as Koreans and willing  to pay $50 / hr for private lessons.

Most vietnamese are still poor so I guess that's why they are providing Korean lesson (I assume for free) in their public school system now.  I guess I just answered my own question lol. 

• nightninja
  • Expert Waygook

• April 02, 2018, 03:20:32 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 02:26:37 pm »

when i got here my coteacher was filling out some paperwork and checked that my degree was a bachelors....i corrected her and said it was a masters.....she then demanded proof and I said well you can check with the office of education because they have copies of everything but why would I lie because its not in english or education and gives me no added benefits.......also you didnt want proof of my bachelors...which the office of education already has, too.....my guess is she felt it wasnt possible for me to have obtained a masters

I wouldn't doubt this.........I was new to Korean and my Korean husband was with me at my pretest to the kiip program and another Korean husband was talking and I had no idea he was talking to me because he wasn't looking at me and I had no idea what he said and my husband takes me aside and says that the other guy said "you better answer people when they talk to you".......even though I had no idea I was being talked to, what was said, or how to respond....instead of having my husband support me and say hey maybe she didnt understand what you said etc......

to this day whenever he is angry he tells me i better lie about how long ive been in Korea so I won't embarass myself and that tons of people like the foreigners on tv are so much better.......he doesnt help when I do try to learn Korean....he is just not helpful and cannot explain anything ....like I'll ask what is blah blah....and he'll just repeat the word again....yeah I got it...what does it mean.....then repeats the word again.......yeah, still don't know what it means......then he might say a different word in Korean and I have to beg for the English word (cause he probably does know it as he is fluent in English for the most part) .........so yeah I gave up on Korean at that point .......I speak Korean as much as I can outside of the house but at home its english for me and he uses Korean as I generally understand what he says....it may be petty or whatever but if I can't get respect or support for the fact that I am still learning and that it doesn't happen overnight then meh not gonna put in the effort

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 02:47:52 pm »

I wouldn't doubt this.........I was new to Korean and my Korean husband was with me at my pretest to the kiip program and another Korean husband was talking and I had no idea he was talking to me because he wasn't looking at me and I had no idea what he said and my husband takes me aside and says that the other guy said "you better answer people when they talk to you".......even though I had no idea I was being talked to, what was said, or how to respond....instead of having my husband support me and say hey maybe she didnt understand what you said etc......

to this day whenever he is angry he tells me i better lie about how long ive been in Korea so I won't embarass myself and that tons of people like the foreigners on tv are so much better.......he doesnt help when I do try to learn Korean....he is just not helpful and cannot explain anything ....like I'll ask what is blah blah....and he'll just repeat the word again....yeah I got it...what does it mean.....then repeats the word again.......yeah, still don't know what it means......then he might say a different word in Korean and I have to beg for the English word (cause he probably does know it as he is fluent in English for the most part) .........so yeah I gave up on Korean at that point .......I speak Korean as much as I can outside of the house but at home its english for me and he uses Korean as I generally understand what he says....it may be petty or whatever but if I can't get respect or support for the fact that I am still learning and that it doesn't happen overnight then meh not gonna put in the effort

Slightly off topic, but I know I've asked this before.  You made a decision to leave this husband quite a while back didn't you?  Hadn't you even found a new place to live?  Nothing you write makes me think he's become more supportive or grown up at all.  Were you just never serious but venting?  I'd get that. 

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2021, 02:54:16 pm »
I don't think you actually need teachers.
very true and i agree wholeheartedly. deport all the NETs. 0 won starting salary (and you all thought 2.1 was low!). hey i'd vote for it!
more gg more skill

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2021, 03:05:06 pm »
Of course, if you need it to pass exams then yes maybe u need formal education

which is exactly why english teachers are in demand. going to a nice university abroad is always an attractive prospect, and if you didn't grow up in an english-speaking country that generally requires a pretty decent IELTS score.

• nightninja
  • Expert Waygook

• April 02, 2018, 03:20:32 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2021, 03:26:54 pm »
Slightly off topic, but I know I've asked this before.  You made a decision to leave this husband quite a while back didn't you?  Hadn't you even found a new place to live?  Nothing you write makes me think he's become more supportive or grown up at all.  Were you just never serious but venting?  I'd get that. 

well venting but also seriously considering/thought I had made a decision........lik e everytime I think it's done I'm done I convince myself to stay.....like my personality hates "quiting" so I'm always thinking of...well, he isn't right but I also know I didn't handle blah blah like I should have and marriage is no joke and not something to just throw away....but it has become a better situation than it was....still not what I would consider a great relationship and things still happen like what I mentioned above but it's been better

It may come down to me actually leaving in the future, especially if he continues to puts social pressure to have kids above my wants/needs/health, and if it does I know I gave it my all.........

but I have definitely appreciated those on here who have discussed it with me and let me vent