Read 248 times

• tik2018
  • Waygookin

• February 21, 2018, 01:05:19 pm
Quitting midway through an EPIK contract without 60-day notice
« on: September 15, 2021, 09:59:51 am »
Does anyone know the actual consequences of quitting your contract early? I received a great job opportunity through the US military rather than teaching EPIK, but the position will begin in like a month whereas my contract does not end until March. If I quit my current contract, will I still be able to change my visa? I know it would be difficult to do so if it were another teaching position, but maybe it would be different since I'll be working for a totally different position? Any ideas or insight would be appreciated. I'm in Gyeonggi province if that matters!

Re: Quitting midway through an EPIK contract without 60-day notice
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 10:22:32 am »
Your contract may impact your ability to change jobs even under a different visa. Id call Seoul global center and ask for some counseling regarding it.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Quitting midway through an EPIK contract without 60-day notice
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 02:08:54 pm »
Does anyone know the actual consequences of quitting your contract early? I received a great job opportunity through the US military rather than teaching EPIK, but the position will begin in like a month whereas my contract does not end until March. If I quit my current contract, will I still be able to change my visa? I know it would be difficult to do so if it were another teaching position, but maybe it would be different since I'll be working for a totally different position? Any ideas or insight would be appreciated. I'm in Gyeonggi province if that matters!

If you quit EPIK, they never give a letter of release no matter what.  If you work for the US military, you work for them and they give you whatever visa you need or live on base.  I don't think Korea really has a say in who the US brings in and puts on base.  You should call the army to make sure.  But I doubt you need anything.  Your E2 would be cancelled after you quit anyways.  So, the army would just give you whatever you need. 

I do ironically know a lot over the past year on F visas who quit their EPIK contract long termers, who have been fed up with things lately.  You are probably not on an F visa though.  Anyways, with their contracts getting crappier every year and no pay raises (even for those of us who make more), you don't owe them anything.