Read 2449 times

Re: In Korea Whites were Slaves
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2021, 07:39:07 pm »
I'll say this about Mayor Haggar, the man is pure gold when it comes to dumping on the other NET nations if so provoked. This was a gem.
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2021, 07:11:58 am »

serious question: can anyone understand this last part? if yes, please translate it for me

So I've slept on in it, and I suspect it was kind of a complaint, at least from his political perspective, that the notion of victimhood wasn't such a mainstream thing in his Grand Pappy's days.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2021, 07:13:43 am »
You obviously haven't spent time in Japan.  Talk to enough Japanese, read enough news stories, and even look at the school textbooks.  They totally play the victim card.  Other nearby Asian countries do this game too. 
I hate to say it, but you're a bit off on your assumptions.

I've lived in Japan for a number of years (much of that in Fukuyama, Hiroshima prefecture, about 60 clicks east of ground zero), and have talked to a *lot* of Japanese people. I've also read (and taught from) many of the pubic textbooks.

Japanese folk have by and large moved past the bombing. The reconciliation process of the two countries has been pretty thorough. The Japanese remember the bombings of course, but mostly with a sense of grief, not outrage.

But don't take my first hand experience for it: https://time.com/5358113/hiroshima-nagasaki-history-reconciliation/

An interesting aside: as time goes by, more and more people both in the USA and in Japan are slowly becoming less convinced that the bombs were in any way necessary. While the current generations are still copacetic with how it all played out, I wouldn't be surprised that in a generation or two, the US will be called to make official apologies for Hiroshima and Nagasaki (and probably for Tokyo as well).
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/08/04/70-years-after-hiroshima-opinions-have-shifted-on-use-of-atomic-bomb/
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 07:43:05 am by Kyndo »

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2021, 08:58:29 am »
I hate to say it, but you're a bit off on your assumptions.

I've lived in Japan for a number of years (much of that in Fukuyama, Hiroshima prefecture, about 60 clicks east of ground zero), and have talked to a *lot* of Japanese people. I've also read (and taught from) many of the pubic textbooks.

Japanese folk have by and large moved past the bombing. The reconciliation process of the two countries has been pretty thorough. The Japanese remember the bombings of course, but mostly with a sense of grief, not outrage.

But don't take my first hand experience for it: https://time.com/5358113/hiroshima-nagasaki-history-reconciliation/

An interesting aside: as time goes by, more and more people both in the USA and in Japan are slowly becoming less convinced that the bombs were in any way necessary. While the current generations are still copacetic with how it all played out, I wouldn't be surprised that in a generation or two, the US will be called to make official apologies for Hiroshima and Nagasaki (and probably for Tokyo as well).
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/08/04/70-years-after-hiroshima-opinions-have-shifted-on-use-of-atomic-bomb/
Not sure, about asking for apologies, but it does really show the difference on how the west vs east, views Japan. Japan kind of likes to play themselves off as victims of the nuclear bomb to westerners, but Asian countries see Japan as aggressors and deserving of what they got.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2021, 11:37:37 am »
Not sure, about asking for apologies, but it does really show the difference on how the west vs east, views Japan. Japan kind of likes to play themselves off as victims of the nuclear bomb to westerners, but Asian countries see Japan as aggressors and deserving of what they got.
Very true.
We all wear different masks to different parties, I guess.

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2021, 11:54:12 am »
McNamara pretty much directly said that his conduct and those of others in the firebombing of Japan was that of a war criminal.

If the Japanese had done that to the Americans, they would have been put on trial for it.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2021, 12:11:21 pm »
McNamara pretty much directly said that his conduct and those of others in the firebombing of Japan was that of a war criminal.

If the Japanese had done that to the Americans, they would have been put on trial for it.
You have a link of that quote somewhere of McNamara actually saying that? Or is it modern day historians saying that?

Anyways, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. And the Americans bombed the heck out of the Germans.

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2021, 12:18:57 pm »
It's one of the most famous statements he makes in 'The Fog of War'
https://youtu.be/fDT8NdyoWfI

Pearl Harbor was a military target at least. No fan of the Japanese in the war but if someone thinks a surprise attack on a military instillation that kills 2500 justifies firebombing 100,000 civilians in a night, yeah that might be a bit questionable.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 12:24:00 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2021, 12:43:58 pm »
Pearl Harbor was a military target at least. No fan of the Japanese in the war but if someone thinks a surprise attack on a military instillation that kills 2500 justifies firebombing 100,000 civilians in a night, yeah that might be a bit questionable.

Exactly.

Something I thought was interesting was that the reason why Pearl Harbour was considered a war crime was the lack of warning, and no formal announcement of war... which was actually due to a mistake.

The Japanese had intended to declare war half an hour preceding the attack, but translation services were slow in getting the message across to the proper American authorities, which buggered everything up. Also, Japanese newspapers reported the declaration of war a day before then.
   Of course, recent finding have given historians reason to believe that even that stupid mistake might have been deliberate...
Here's the wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor#Japanese_declaration_of_war

Also, just to (re)state the obvious: if Japan had won, the US would've been facing war-crime trials for Tokyo and the 2 nuke sites. History is written by the victors, and all that.

Also also, more stating of what (I'm hoping) is obvious: Imperial Japan was evil, heinous, and vicious. The world is a far better place after it's utter defeat. Just because one points out that both sides committed atrocities does not mean that one considers both sides to be equally atrocious. The US might have it's flaws, but it is a shiny utopia compared to many of the powers it set itself against.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 12:53:40 pm by Kyndo »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2021, 01:04:56 pm »
The Americans dropped leaflets warning citizens ahead of time there would be bombing and to evacuate the city.

After the first atom bomb detonation the emperor still stubbornly refused to surrender prolonging the death of war further.

Because of this, days later the second atom bomb was dropped.

Since World War 2, there havenít been successful empire building land grabs. Country borders have almost entirely stayed the same. Why? Other countries are too afraid of being hurt. Japan was the example of what could happen. Millions upon millions upon millions of lives were saved. No World War 3. Ainít gonna happen. The worldís become more peaceful. Combat deaths as a percentage of the global population are way down.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2021, 01:08:54 pm »
True.

Why destroy a country when you can just force it into crushing debt and then sit back and wring profits from it for the next couple of decades?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2021, 01:12:55 pm »
Who does that?

Globalism lifted billions out of poverty.

Peace and prosperity rocks!

Capitalism and free trade - intercourse between countries - is great.

Itís why life expectancy has been going up worldwide and by a lot.

Compared to 75 years ago, the average person on earth is way better off.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2021, 01:17:15 pm »
Who does that?

Neocolonialism in a nutshell.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocolonialism

The world is a better place than it was 50 years ago, agreed, but it could be a lot better. Capitalism is great, if properly regulated. People are greedy bastards.  :undecided:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 01:19:41 pm by Kyndo »

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2021, 01:26:01 pm »
The Americans dropped leaflets warning citizens ahead of time there would be bombing and to evacuate the city.
That doesn't justify the act anymore than Saddam Hussein issuing a warning justifies him gassing 10,000 Kurds.

After the first atom bomb detonation the emperor still stubbornly refused to surrender prolonging the death of war further.
After the first bomb, confusion was on hand. No one knew if this was a one-off or what was going on. It's not like they could instantly chat over Zoom.

Since World War 2, there havenít been successful empire building land grabs. Country borders have almost entirely stayed the same.
Well aside from India, Pakistan, Algeria, Tibet, the collapse of French Indochina, most of Africa, and the Soviet Union. But hey, minor details.

I don't think Japan was necessary to see the potential catastrophe of nuclear weapons.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2021, 01:27:23 pm »
Neocolonialism is a leftist theory.
___________________ _______________

Capitalism Myths:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4n27CkpmhMA

Everywhere people trash capitalism. But thatís mostly because they donít understand it.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2021, 01:34:51 pm »
Who does that?

Tell that to the people who got shitcanned and are now forced to work in lower paying service jobs and or move to overcrowded cities for rip off rent prices and lower paying jobs.  There were many who lost out in this "race to the bottom" and that's all it was.  Corporations had no aspiration to lift millions out of poverty.  Instead it was to get folks to work more for pennies on the dollar and make folks in the west who still kept their jobs to also work for less. 

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2021, 01:39:17 pm »

Berbery pirates were taking white slaves too. 

To make clothes?

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2021, 02:12:10 pm »
Slavery, including sex slavery, is still a problem the world over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_slavery

Of course you never see these woke femininists going after traffickers cause hypocricy is something they need to keep. 

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2021, 02:14:45 pm »
Neocolonialism is a leftist theory.
damn leftists being right about things
more gg more skill