Read 2450 times

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: In Korea Whites were Slaves
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2021, 11:14:57 am »
What is alternate history?  Japan didn't rape and kill half of Asia, use local conquered people's and western POWs as slave labor, they never forced many non Japanese women to be sex slaves day in and day out for hours a day non stop?  Where are you pulling your bullshit from? 
Nah, that all happened, obviously. Nobody who knows anything about the Pacific theatre would argue against that.

The part that's fictional is where you say they weren't going to surrender without the bombs.
The Japanese were *definitely* going to surrender, no doubts about it.
The terms weren't yet hammered out, but the Japanese were desperate to capitulate to the Americans before the Soviets - who had just decided to break their neutrality pact and declared war - decided to roll in and take over.

The bombs hurried things up (saving a fair number of Allied lives), and forced the Japanese to give up any hope of keeping Hirohito as something more than just a figurehead. It facilitated Japan's immediate, unconditional surrender, rather than what might have been a protracted search and destroy while terms of surrender were agreed upon.

Maybe I should have truncated the quote to
"And they still whine we dropped the A bomb on them because they wouldn't surrender".

Also, the Japanese don't whine much about the bombs. They have, for the most part, moved past it. It's helped that American aided post-war rebuilding has made them a very wealthy country.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 11:18:04 am by Kyndo »

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2021, 11:17:14 am »
also, just because it's human nature to want to take more credit and avoid more blame doesn't make it reasonable, right?

Again it depends on the context. Sometimes building up self esteem artificially might be a positive thing.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2021, 11:40:01 am »
Nah, that all happened, obviously. Nobody who knows anything about the Pacific theatre would argue against that.

The part that's fictional is where you say they weren't going to surrender without the bombs.
The Japanese were *definitely* going to surrender, no doubts about it.
The terms weren't yet hammered out, but the Japanese were desperate to capitulate to the Americans before the Soviets - who had just decided to break their neutrality pact and declared war - decided to roll in and take over.

The bombs hurried things up (saving a fair number of Allied lives), and forced the Japanese to give up any hope of keeping Hirohito as something more than just a figurehead. It facilitated Japan's immediate, unconditional surrender, rather than what might have been a protracted search and destroy while terms of surrender were agreed upon.

Maybe I should have truncated the quote to
"And they still whine we dropped the A bomb on them because they wouldn't surrender".

Also, the Japanese don't whine much about the bombs. They have, for the most part, moved past it. It's helped that American aided post-war rebuilding has made them a very wealthy country.

You obviously haven't spent time in Japan.  Talk to enough Japanese, read enough news stories, and even look at the school textbooks.  They totally play the victim card.  Other nearby Asian countries do this game too. 

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2021, 11:40:16 am »
I think this topic came up in the past so I don't want to look like a plagiarist, but I've generally found that people who actually experienced combat don't talk about it all that much, unless they're trying to capitalize on it for career gain. I don't want to romanticize that fact, and I don't think it's for fridge magnet ("You'll never meet a more humble person than a soldier") or Hollywood ("Whenever Grandpa talked about the war, he would get this far-off expression in his eyes.") reasons. I don't really know why it's the case. My grandfather served in both WWII and the Korean War and didn't talk about it unless asked. I have no idea what he did there. He didn't sit around telling us campfire stories of his battalion's heroics, or about Jimmy Long Ears from Topeka who loved Players' Club unfiltered smokes and never made it back to his sweetheart in Kansas. Nine times out of ten, it's blowhards who've never won a playground fistfight who run around gloating about how "we" did this or that.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2021, 11:40:34 am »
It's helped that American aided post-war rebuilding has made them a very wealthy country.
don't you mean "our" post-war rebuilding aid, kyndo?
more gg more skill

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2021, 11:51:33 am »
My My grandgfather did not talk about his experiences in the war after coming to America. He did not want to speak about it because he was treated like a criminal and a traitor. Another country's man proudly serving his country is seen was very different by the "woke" brigade, than the US equivalent.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2021, 11:55:26 am »
Another country's man proudly serving his country is seen was very different by the "woke" brigade, than the US equivalent.
serious question: can anyone understand this last part? if yes, please translate it for me
more gg more skill

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2021, 12:03:29 pm »
The point is white European countries were not the only ones who did things, even in the modern era.  In Africa, Rwanda, kill other ethnic groups? 

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2021, 12:08:30 pm »
serious question: can anyone understand this last part? if yes, please translate it for me
nfi, I'm afraid.

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2021, 12:30:55 pm »
The point is white European countries were not the only ones who did things, even in the modern era.  In Africa, Rwanda, kill other ethnic groups?
You mean centuries of race-based chattel slavery on a massive, systemic scale? Yes, that was white Europeans. We're not talking some warring tribes or dukedoms where the losers in the other army are captured and sold into slavery or some merchant or pirate crew picked up by a slave ship and pressed into slavery.

Were they the only ones that did things? Or course not, but we're talking about the issue of the descendants of those people being impacted to this day by those policies and how that has affected their lives. Pointing out Rwanda is great for countering the stupid "White men are evil" nonsense. It is pointless when it comes to addressing the issues of slavery and segregation and their impact on the black community in America.
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2021, 01:06:43 pm »
You mean centuries of race-based chattel slavery on a massive, systemic scale? Yes, that was white Europeans

And the Arabs.

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2021, 01:10:50 pm »
You obviously haven't spent time in Japan.  Talk to enough Japanese, read enough news stories, and even look at the school textbooks.  They totally play the victim card.  Other nearby Asian countries do this game too. 
I think pretty much everyone plays the victim card if it is expedient for them to do so.

If, for example, in 1946 some Indian national got ahold of the bomb and somehow set it off in London, the Brits would still be going on about how they were victims
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2021, 01:32:53 pm »

Nope. I've given it my sincere best and Tres Toneť has confounded me.

I think the general message is "Kids these days don't understand what it means to serve your country, what with the TikToks and the Walkman and the wokey-wokes. In the old days..." 

But before that, he mentions that his grandfather, who I'm assuming migrated to the US from elsewhere, wasn't treated well by baby boomers and the "Greatest Generation". So actually, I still don't have a clue.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2021, 01:39:36 pm »
Nope. I've given it my sincere best and Tres Toneť has confounded me.

I think the general message is "Kids these days don't understand what it means to serve your country, what with the TikToks and the Walkman and the wokey-wokes. In the old days..." 

But before that, he mentions that his grandfather, who I'm assuming migrated to the US from elsewhere, wasn't treated well by baby boomers and the "Greatest Generation". So actually, I still don't have a clue.

I read it as Tony≥'s grandfather was a German soldier in WWII and upon moving to America, Americans treated him poorly compared to those who fought for the Allies.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2021, 01:54:20 pm »
You mean centuries of race-based chattel slavery on a massive, systemic scale? Yes, that was white Europeans. We're not talking some warring tribes or dukedoms where the losers in the other army are captured and sold into slavery or some merchant or pirate crew picked up by a slave ship and pressed into slavery.

Were they the only ones that did things? Or course not, but we're talking about the issue of the descendants of those people being impacted to this day by those policies and how that has affected their lives. Pointing out Rwanda is great for countering the stupid "White men are evil" nonsense. It is pointless when it comes to addressing the issues of slavery and segregation and their impact on the black community in America.

Every society in history had it's classes of people and had slaves etc.  But in spite of inconvenient facts, only white people did everything and no one else did anything like this ever....   According to you.  The Romans and many other nations in History had slave ships. 

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2021, 01:55:40 pm »
more gg more skill

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2021, 02:28:40 pm »
arabs are white

You tell them that.

Mohammed bin Salman looks pretty dark skinned to me.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2021, 02:32:46 pm »
tell the US government. there's no "arab" race when you fill out the census
more gg more skill

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2021, 02:40:06 pm »
You tell them that.

Mohammed bin Salman looks pretty dark skinned to me.

Yeah, in that picture.  He's standing next to a radioactive orange.

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2021, 07:16:23 pm »
Woah woah woah. Are you telling me a damn CANADIAN is trying to take credit for the atomic bombs and ending World War 2? Did the Enola Gay drop 5000 pounds of radioactive poutine on Hiroshima? Did General MacArthur actually say "I'll be back and aboot the hoose" when he left the Phillipines? After the war did the Canadian-led reconstruction of Japan lead to an economy based on ketchup chips and Molson Ice?

Hey Canada, man up and stop taking credit for America winning the war!