Read 183 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
Chungdahm Learning
« on: September 14, 2021, 09:30:35 am »
My friend's son has been offered a position at Chungdahm Learning with a salary of 2.4. Do any of you have any comments about this institution that may assist him in making a choice as to whether to accept the offer or not?

Thanks
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Re: Chungdahm Learning
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 01:10:42 pm »
This is CDI?  I think you should ask your friend for a few more details about the offer (contract if he has it) so that people can take a look.  CDI was the school that was in the spotlight a number of years back for illegally hiring teachers as independent contractors.  They got taken to court and lost, but there were still some people saying it hadn't stopped them from doing it.  I worked with a few people that went to a CDI school after and they liked it and suggested choosing the hourly pay option because you could make a lot more.  If you choose the safe route and a guaranteed salary you also run the risk of being worked to the bone but only getting the agreed upon salary.  You could also find yourself working weekends and even Christmas day and vacation was non-existent. 

This was a number of years ago that I looked into working there, and I never did so I'm only mentioning what I know from back then.  Find out more info than just the salary and get back here with that. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Chungdahm Learning
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 02:05:55 pm »
My friend's son has been offered a position at Chungdahm Learning with a salary of 2.4. Do any of you have any comments about this institution that may assist him in making a choice as to whether to accept the offer or not?

Thanks

Long hours and they use to pay more and with inflation was like 3 to 3.4 million won a month in today's money.  But they tried to get you to be an independent contractor which is actually illegal under Korean immigration law.  This means your higher salary wasn't a higher salary as they didn't pay your medical insurance and pension.  So, if you got into a medical emergency, you were screwed.  Korea is not the good deal it use to be.  But it is easier to get here due to less covid restrictions.  But any school that won't pay the 2 weeks quarantine fee, tell them to get lost.  If they are nickle and diming your son on this what else will they do to him once here?  After 2022 or 2023 got to China, it's a lot more money with a cheaper living cost.  In Korea saving 500 US a month versus saving 2000 to 3000 US a month in China (assuming over 20,000 RMB salary with free housing or extra housing allowance and flight reimbursement).  Korea due to rising living costs are a rip off compared to what it was 10 or 15 years ago.

Check Dave's esl cafe and some of the Facebook groups.

ze=" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">https://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china?koreasearch=&koreapageno=&koreapagesize=&chinasearch=&chinapageno=1&chinapagesize=60&internationalsearch=&internationalpageno=&internationalpagesi ze=

Convert Korean salaries and then Chines ones into your currency.  (Also factor in a cheaper living cost in China compared to very expensive Korea nowadays.)  Do your own research. 

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=23000&From=CNY&To=KRW

A Chinese salary of 23,000 RMB is 4,178,336.2 South Korean Won.

Way more money.  Come to Korea id he wishes but make plans to move on quickly.  Lots of young expats are getting ripped of compared to what the pay and work conditions use to be.  With inflation some of the higher pay jobs in Korea did pay close to 4 million in today's money year's ago.