Read 2127 times

Re: Why do cyclists always swerve into you at the last second?
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2021, 12:30:57 pm »
Cycling to work is not  an indulgence. Cycling for exercise and recreation is not an indulgence.
Yes it is. You can exercise other ways and get to work in other ways. You're doing it for fun. Like street hockey/baseball/football as Aristocrat points out- Is it fun? Yes. Should kids be allowed to do it? Yes. Is it a necessity? No.

Bikes could completely disappear with the snap of a finger and things would still work fine (probably better). Take away sidewalks+pedestrians or cars? Complete collapse of infrastructure in 24 hours.

Cycling is an indulgence, face it.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2021, 12:49:41 pm »
Frankly, this is why ... pedestrian...blasti ng... and then turn[ing] them into paste... is not a problem.

Why ...share the road?... These stupid pedestrians need to get out of the bike lane!!!!

Totally agree!

But seriously, this is why well planned urban cycling infrastructure (such as that in many Western European countries) should have separate dedicated cycling and walking lanes. It keeps everybody both safer, and happier. It also has proven to greatly reduce inner city traffic congestion, which makes things more pleasant and efficient for motorists as well.

Yes it is. You can exercise other ways and get to work in other ways. You're doing it for fun. Like street hockey/baseball/football as Aristocrat points out- Is it fun? Yes. Should kids be allowed to do it? Yes. Is it a necessity? No.

Bikes could completely disappear with the snap of a finger and things would still work fine (probably better). Take away sidewalks+pedestrians or cars? Complete collapse of infrastructure in 24 hours.

Same can be said of cars. A lot of people will complain, but there is no particular reason why people ought to have individual vehicles. With proper infrastructure, automobile could quite easily be made 90% unnecessary
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 12:52:33 pm by Kyndo »

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2021, 01:09:15 pm »
A lot of people will complain, but there is no particular reason why people ought to have individual vehicles. With proper infrastructure, automobile could quite easily be made 90% unnecessary
Ehhh, I think people who have an axe to grind against automobiles overstate the utility granted by vehicles and the various ways in which they are necessary, though as I said, the future with drones and such might change that equation, but those days are not here (yet).

As I said, emergency vehicles (can't be done any other way), secure transit (VIPs/cash/precious goods/etc.), delivery, construction, repair & maintenance, courier services, handicapped services, other caregiver and services. That's a significant number of vehicles for things that no one would dispute require motor vehicles.

Then you get things where they're clearly the most efficient option- transportation for groups of people not covered by public transport, expedited transportation, transportation during off-hours, transportation involving bulky items, etc.  Seriously, you'd have a complete breakdown in supply and logistics without cars. People wouldn't be able to get to the hospital. Food would spoil. Maintenance couldn't be performed, etc. Cars are a necessity. Bikes? An indulgence. Sorry, but it's true.

And that's before we get to non-urban areas where public transportation becomes a much less efficient option or even a complete non-option.

The bicycle can handle none of these things. Our urban planning needs to be focused on motor vehicles (for now) and pedestrians. Bicycles are a frivolous indulgence. They are not essential and do not replace anything to any significant degree. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 01:40:05 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• Swervy
  • Adventurer

• March 09, 2021, 12:56:54 pm
    • Incheon, SK
    more
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2021, 01:15:06 pm »
They are not essential and do not replace anything to any significant degree.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
They replace some of my fat with a small amount of happiness ㅠㅠ
I don't get in shape. I bring the gym to my house and I throw it around.

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2021, 01:16:38 pm »
I'm not sure if anyone has posted this, but I caught the tail end of a news item last week where some city in Korea was separating cycling and walking lanes with a small concrete barrier, about 20 cm high. I think that it may have been a new track because the cycling section seemed to be a little lower than the walking track. I thought it was a good idea. A council trying to rectify obvious probems on exercise tracks. Don't know how long the walkers will stay off the cycling part though.

Thinking about it now as I'm writing, maybe the barrier is to stop people from falling onto the lower level track.  :undecided:

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2021, 01:39:52 pm »
I'm not sure if anyone has posted this, but I caught the tail end of a news item last week where some city in Korea was separating cycling and walking lanes with a small concrete barrier, about 20 cm high. I think that it may have been a new track because the cycling section seemed to be a little lower than the walking track. I thought it was a good idea. A council trying to rectify obvious probems on exercise tracks. Don't know how long the walkers will stay off the cycling part though.

Thinking about it now as I'm writing, maybe the barrier is to stop people from falling onto the lower level track.  :undecided:

I don't know about this--20 cm seems just about the right height for joggers to break an ankle, or cyclists to not see and do a flip. 

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2021, 01:51:15 pm »
Good point! Although I think cyclists would be ok as their track was a bit lower.
The barrier could well of been much higher though. I only caught the end, and only at not much more than a glance.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2021, 01:55:03 pm »
hangook77: Did someone say build a wall?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 01:58:46 pm by CO2 »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2021, 01:58:42 pm »
but those days are not here (yet).
I can agree with that.
And I also agree that we'll not be rid of autos entirely, but I think that our current reliance on them is excessive and that Western society is beginning to see that alternatives are both possible and beneficial.
  I'm not a proponent of getting rid of cars entirely (as it would be next to impossible to do), but I would love to see a near future (within 30 years?) where we can reduce their numbers and replace them with more energy and space efficient modes of transport.

Bikes  and e-bikes will never be a feasible replacement, but they *could* reduce the number of cars on the road if there was accessible and convenient infrastructure for them.

Think of promoting bikes and alternative modes of existing transport as a step towards a goal rather than the goal itself.

hangook77: Did someone say build a wall?

You're just worried that your days are numbered, oh noxious gaseous one. :P
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 02:00:27 pm by Kyndo »

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2021, 02:13:41 pm »

Most cycling paths down by the Han river aren't separated at all from the foot path. If you take little kids down there, with the speed some of these cyclists go and the sheer numbers, danger-wise, you might as well be taking your kids for a walk along a main road. You'd basically need a fence to make it worth doing.

• Sagi Keun
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2018, 11:47:23 am
    • Los Angeles
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2021, 09:49:22 pm »
people who have an axe to grind against automobiles

Sigh. Typical Korean, still in love with cars. Usually the most polluting SUV's.

Don't worry, it's not shameful or a sign of poverty to be without a car. I know they're still relatively new and impressive to you but the west has mostly gotten over it already and care more about reducing pollution.

I'm not a proponent of getting rid of cars entirely (as it would be next to impossible to do), but I would love to see a near future (within 30 years?) where we can reduce their numbers and replace them with more energy and space efficient modes of transport.

2021 Toyota Mirai: Australia’s first hydrogen car on sale to the public ‘within a couple of years’

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2021-toyota-mirai-australia-s-first-hydrogen-car-on-sale-to-the-public-within-a-couple-of-years/?fbclid=IwAR2r_F67VbD9g7q9Uba-mbfgiIJ85wlg0kCDPTZZ7cjqGulw5yP8xEP9Vn0

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2021, 10:59:25 pm »

Nope.

Cycling is not just for fun. Neither are sports.

More bikes are the answer, not fewer.

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2021, 10:49:29 am »
Sigh. Typical Korean, still in love with cars. Usually the most polluting SUV's.

Don't worry, it's not shameful or a sign of poverty to be without a car. I know they're still relatively new and impressive to you but the west has mostly gotten over it already and care more about reducing pollution.
Wrong. I'm a typical American who loves cars. ;D

Anyways, congrats on the bigotry and conflating ethnicity with nationality and culture and stereotyping based on it. How...Korean of you?

And your citing of hydrogen cars doesn't address the point of bikes and traffic.

Me: Urban infrastructure isn't designed well for bikes and cars and pedestrians are more essential.
You: That's wrong. Bikes are fine because of
...hydrogen cars???

Also, your reading comprehension sucks and you missed my point about infrastructure.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 10:53:04 am by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2021, 11:29:49 am »
Most cycling paths down by the Han river aren't separated at all from the foot path. If you take little kids down there, with the speed some of these cyclists go and the sheer numbers, danger-wise, you might as well be taking your kids for a walk along a main road. You'd basically need a fence to make it worth doing.

Yeah, It's the same where I live. The circuit is a 20 km free-for-all. Most are old people just wandering around in groups or doing slow 'swerve cycling', on huge old bikes. Not many breaking a sweat. I stopped doing the circuit some time ago. It was too dangerous, and too frustrating. Maybe, I'll start again when it cools down and not so many people are out and about.

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2021, 11:39:38 am »
I think it's funny to see cyclists griping about other cyclists blocking the way and slowing down traffic. I thought we all had to share the road, regardless of speed?

Just the latest example of cyclists with the "rules for thee, but not for me" mentality.

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2021, 11:42:32 am »
I think it's funny to see cyclists griping about other cyclists blocking the way and slowing down traffic. I thought we all had to share the road, regardless of speed?

Just the latest example of cyclists with the "rules for thee, but not for me" mentality.

Marti! Who are you talking about? Me or fka
Edit: or both
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:06:41 pm by Kurt Sorensen »

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2021, 03:08:24 pm »
While inspired by those posts, I am more looking at cyclists in general. So many of the things they complain about or points they make turn out to be "rules for thee but not for me" gripes.

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2021, 03:28:23 pm »
While inspired by those posts, I am more looking at cyclists in general. So many of the things they complain about or points they make turn out to be "rules for thee but not for me" gripes.

Ok. Thanks for the reply. Have a good rest of the day.

I had lasagna and left-over roast pumpkin and potatoes for lunch. So good!

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2021, 03:36:46 pm »
Ok. Thanks for the reply. Have a good rest of the day.

I had lasagna and left-over roast pumpkin and potatoes for lunch. So good!

You win.

I had a GS25 sandwich and an energy bar.  :sad: