Read 1552 times

• Sagi Keun
  • Adventurer

• May 10, 2018, 11:47:23 am
    • Los Angeles
Why do cyclists always swerve into you at the last second?
« on: September 09, 2021, 09:29:03 pm »

This often happens when they are passing you. They can't keep a straight line and veer into you at the last moment.

Are Koreans all very short-sighted? Or just totally oblivious to what is around them?

..because they don't seem to register the presence of solid objects that are right in front of them.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Why do cyclists always swerve into you at the last second?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 09:35:21 pm »
I think they've got it in for you.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 12:42:12 am »
Probably looking at their phones.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 07:40:35 am »
They havent quite got walking and not bumping into others down yet, so biking and avoiding people will take some practice.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 08:14:50 am by WhenInRome... »

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 07:50:25 am »
Long term effects of soju!

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 07:51:15 am »
Yup!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 07:52:56 am by WhenInRome... »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 07:54:55 am »
This often happens when they are passing you. They can't keep a straight line and veer into you at the last moment.

Are Koreans all very short-sighted? Or just totally oblivious to what is around them?

..because they don't seem to register the presence of solid objects that are right in front of them.

They should ding their bell when they are around pedestrians.  Pedestrians on those paths have the right of way.  However, many folks also walk on the cycle part when they shouldn't either.  If the guy almost hits you and doesn't ding his bell, then start screaming at him.  More folks should yell at them if they don't warn you to educate them and make them start warning you.  If I can follow this etiquette on my bike then so can they.  Think of other people other than yourself.  This traditionally was not a behavior associated with Koreans or East Asians in general, though.  It is slowly changing, but slowly is the key word.  (I'm sure the resident apologists will be on here to make excuses for it soon enough.)

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 08:07:34 am »
I find that silently gliding by pedestrians is safer in Korea. So many Koreans get startled at NOTHING. In Toronto, people just turn their head when they hear your bell. No sweat.

Here?

:police: *ring ring*

:afro: OMGGGGG WAHAHAHAHAHAH (starts to look like a rocket about to takeoff)

A bell means DON'T MOVE, not better get ready to vault a meter in any direction. Also, get off the bike lane.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 08:09:53 am »
What used to get me was the opposite. I am a cyclist and I found it so frustrating when using the cycle paths along the Han River how people walk on the cycle paths instead of the pedestrian paths and often just step out in front of you too. Seemed to me they thought they were the only people on the planet.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 09:06:01 am »
I find that silently gliding by pedestrians is safer in Korea. So many Koreans get startled at NOTHING. In Toronto, people just turn their head when they hear your bell. No sweat.

Here?

:police: *ring ring*

:afro: OMGGGGG WAHAHAHAHAHAH (starts to look like a rocket about to takeoff)

A bell means DON'T MOVE, not better get ready to vault a meter in any direction. Also, get off the bike lane.

I ding the bell and pass on their left side.  I figure I do it enough, they'll get it eventually and be accustomed to moving over.  I ding far in advance though and again as I get closer to them. 

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 10:14:50 am »
They're pretty good where I'm at, actually.

But I did have an incident a couple of months ago where I was walking along the pedestrian path (it runs parallel to the biking path) and played chicken with a cyclist who veered into my path as soon as he saw me. I wasn't gonna move, If he crashed into me, I was gonna make sure I got paid, lol. But, disappointingly, he swerved off the path at the last minute and gave me a dirty look as he passed.  :sad:

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 10:25:17 am »
They're pretty good where I'm at, actually.

But I did have an incident a couple of months ago where I was walking along the pedestrian path (it runs parallel to the biking path) and played chicken with a cyclist who veered into my path as soon as he saw me. I wasn't gonna move, If he crashed into me, I was gonna make sure I got paid, lol. But, disappointingly, he swerved off the path at the last minute and gave me a dirty look as he passed.  :sad:

I have a similar path that I use for walking and running. Both paths are wide enough for traffic going both ways. But for some reason, some cyclists seem to use the line down the middle to ride on. Not usually a problem in quieter parts of the path as I can stay on the outside of the pedestrian path. But when it's busy or I need to go around people, I'll often have to wave at the cyclists to get them to go fully back on to their side. I always get a dirty look  :laugh: And, maybe unsurprisingly, it's always older men. The younger, fully kitted out cyclists never do this.

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2021, 10:33:25 am »
I always get a dirty look  :laugh: And, maybe unsurprisingly, it's always older men.

Yep, it was an older guy.

But I always think it's hilarious whenever they have a road rage moment and they speed up to catch the car that offended them just so that they can give the driver a dirty look. Like they got to make sure you see it, lol.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 10:42:02 am »
Yep, it was an older guy.

But I always think it's hilarious whenever they have a road rage moment and they speed up to catch the car that offended them just so that they can give the driver a dirty look. Like they got to make sure you see it, lol.

They have an empty cycling path. I'm not sure why they need to have half of their bike in the narrower walking/running path. They always wait until the last minute to move and they do their best with the dirty look. Slow down and turn their necks 90 degrees to make sure I see,

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 10:47:53 am »
I don't actually have a bell on my bike. I just clack my brake grips repeatedly, which is usually loud enough to get people to move.

But because I like waffling between extremes I've been considering this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTLGpWh-RI0&ab_channel=EugeneD

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2021, 11:48:06 am »
They have an empty cycling path. I'm not sure why they need to have half of their bike in the narrower walking/running path. They always wait until the last minute to move and they do their best with the dirty look. Slow down and turn their necks 90 degrees to make sure I see,

This would make for a great SNL skit, better than most of the crap I usually see on there.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2021, 01:20:21 pm »
This would make for a great SNL skit, better than most of the crap I usually see on there.

SNL hasn't been good since they got rid of Farley, Sandler, and Spade.  I use to love watching those in reruns.  SNL sucked since then, though I didn't mind the odd Wil Ferral skit and movie. 

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2021, 01:25:00 pm »
Modern infrastructure is just not conducive to widespread bike use in urban environments, at least until UAVs become reliable, safe and economical enough to handle delivery to businesses.

You need roads and therefore vehicles for a variety of purposes, namely transportation and delivery, emergency vehicle use, construction, waste disposal, secure transit, and a few other things. Pedestrian areas are also needed. After that, the only space is usually that for structures themselves. You could ban all "frivolous" use of cars and you'd still need roads for the reasons listed above. Therefore, roads are necessary and must stay. The exigencies of commerce demand it.

Bikes on the other hand are ultimately a frivolous indulgence. Lacking the necessity of either motor vehicles or pedestrian lanes, they are ill-suited for many of our cities as presently designed. Now fortunately for cyclists, in many communities in the suburbs, you have space to construct bike lanes without impeding transit. That's not always the case in cities (although there are probably some areas where you can. A cyclist can still commute via public transit and walking. Therefore, it is an indulgence.

If there's no space for bikes, then sorry, get them the F off the road. If they're going to drive on the streets for motor vehicles, then they damn well should follow every law that motor vehicles have to follow- insurance, registration, no moving alongside cars, obeying all traffic lights, signaling, maintaining minimum speed. And if they don't do those and end up getting turned into a stain on the pavement? Well it's their own damn fault.

Pedestrians and drivers shouldn't be subjected to the tyranny of the frivolous cyclist who views their indulgence as more important than essential logistics, commerce and pedestrian transit.

All that being said, once the drones can replace all the vehicle stuff, then there will be every reason to close off motor vehicle access and open it to bikes.

And now for my order, I'd like a Beef N' Cheddar with curly fries...

SIDE RANT- I actually looked at an Arby's menu before posting this and WTF, they've stopped serving Homestyle Fries? And worse, they replaced them with crinkle cut fries. Arby's homestyle fries were some of the best fast food fries out there. It was basically 1. Arby's Curly 2. Mc D's 3. Arby's Homestyle and in a distant 4. Wendy's fries dunked in a Frosty.

America is just sad now.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 01:28:09 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2021, 01:26:01 pm »
I'M WILL FERRELL AND I'M YELLING AND CONFUSED.

YELL!!! WHAT IS HAPPENING?? LOUD!! THIS IS COMEDY!

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2021, 02:37:47 pm »

Strongly disagree. Bikes are clean, healthy, quick, and efficient. They are the exact opposite of frivolous.

Bikes on the other hand are ultimately a frivolous indulgence. Lacking the necessity of either motor vehicles or pedestrian lanes, they are ill-suited for many of our cities as presently designed.
This would be the key point.
Bikes are a fantastically mode of transport...if the infrastructure is there. North America would do well to rein in its obsession with automobiles and jump on the bicycle / public transport bandwagon. 1/3 of urban space is devoted to streets: it would be nice to use a portion of that space for greenbelts, parks etc etc.

Eventually, maybe...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 02:39:51 pm by Kyndo »