Read 1377 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Rural America Is Running Out Of Teachers
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2021, 12:05:15 pm »
Yup, this is the end game.

"Oh, you don't want to be exploited, disrespected and underpaid? Well, we'll just bring in people who are 10X more desperate than you and they'll be grateful for the opportunity!"

This was the kind of thing Trump was against.  Most politicians love outsourcing.  Whole system is corrupt.   Though for a season some of us can go abroad to make our money I guess.  Though one would have to country hop as one becomes too accustomed to foreigners and others begin to open up. 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2021, 12:08:49 pm »
Trump still brings in cheap labour for his businesses from abroad.

The problem with these public school salaries is mostly lower taxes, which leads to less funding (surprise surprise!!).

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2021, 12:13:05 pm »
Trump still brings in cheap labour for his businesses from abroad.

The problem with these public school salaries is mostly lower taxes, which leads to less funding (surprise surprise!!).

He did it because his competition did and he had to compete.  I think he would have preferred it be made more difficult for everyone and that outsourcing would be reduced.  Then he could pay more to Americans even if he had to charge more.  So long as the competition is doing the same and not undercutting.  That was the whole point. 

As for funding, surely some other parts of the state budget could fund part of this.  What about all those federal grants with strings attached?  How about no strings attached and let the money go towards paying teachers more.  Cause kids in rural areas will lose out if they can't attract good teachers.  I know in my home province in Canada, the provincial government pays all teachers salaries and on the same scale for everyone.  County governments may take care of some local roads and trash collection and that's about it.  They have nothing to do with schools. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2021, 12:18:50 pm »
As for funding, surely some other parts of the state budget could fund part of this.  What about all those federal grants with strings attached?  How about no strings attached and let the money go towards paying teachers more.  Cause kids in rural areas will lose out if they can't attract good teachers.  I know in my home province in Canada, the provincial government pays all teachers salaries and on the same scale for everyone.  County governments may take care of some local roads and trash collection and that's about it.  They have nothing to do with schools. 

This is one of the biggest differences between the canadian school system and the American one. If a school is in a poor district in the US, it will receive very little funding, as it comes directly from taxes raised within that district.
   In Canada, public schools are run provincially and receive funding from provincial coffers.

Changing the American public school funding system would be a dream come true for many.

Also, Canada has districts, not counties.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 12:20:42 pm by Kyndo »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2021, 12:21:28 pm »
This is one of the biggest differences between the canadian school system and the American one. If a school is in a poor district in the US, it will receive very little funding, as it comes directly from taxes raised within that district.
   In Canada, public schools are run provincially and receive funding from provincial coffers.

Changing the American public school funding system would be a dream come true for many.

Perhaps depends on the province you are in.  Maritime provinces still have them and I thought Ontario did too. 

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2021, 12:22:45 pm »
Actually, some Canadian provinces do have counties. Alberta being one of them. Although it was pretty recent like within the last 10 years. Before the exact same areas were called districts, or municipalities.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2021, 12:33:52 pm »
Actually, some Canadian provinces do have counties. Alberta being one of them. Although it was pretty recent like within the last 10 years. Before the exact same areas were called districts, or municipalities.

We have countries out East.  Inherited from the British I guess like msot US States.  There are municipalities and rural communities within those.  Countries cover only non municipalities (rural communities) though as the municipalities are self governing for some things.  Counties mostly have little power and do simle things nowadays.  The province takes care of many things in local service districts outside of municipalities (Cities, towns, villages.  Towns like US townships?  Villages very small municipality like 500 to 2 or 3 thousand people.  Towns 5 to 20 thousand people.  Over that can be a town or a city.  At least out East.) 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2021, 12:39:20 pm »
We have countries out East.
I didn't know that.
That's really interesting!
With respect to the changes in ALberta, is it just semantics (ie replacing "district" with "county"), or does it denote some kind of legal change as well?

I'm from an area that has never had counties, and my only experience of that word comes from south of the border, so I assumed that the same held true for the rest of Canada.
Never trust assumptions, I guess!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 02:04:48 pm by Kyndo »

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2021, 12:52:56 pm »

Southern Ontario still has counties.  Always has, although some places like Toronto are no longer part of a county and I don't think there are counties in Northern Ontario. 

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2021, 03:21:18 pm »
I didn't know that.
That's really interesting!
With respect to the changes in ALberta, is it just semantics (ie replacing "district" with "county"), or does it denote some kind of legal change as well?
It's just a name change. where I grew up it was called the Municipality of ****, but the Changed it to **** County in the 2000s, I believe. Not sure why. I do believe some places were called Counties from way before though.

It's like people in Ontario who think all of Canada sells milk in bags. Or at least back in the 90s, when guys from Ontario thought you couldn't buy groceries with credit cards, but has been allowed in the west since like the early-80s.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 03:23:53 pm by pkjh »

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2021, 11:03:18 pm »
Thats an opinion only,..  by someone who is clearly biased against Christians and wants to portray them in an unfavorable light.

His definition of science is clearly flawed however. Because science is about what is observable and testable, not  far-fetched theories about what someone guesses may have happened 'billions" of years ago.  That's called imaginative fantasy.

Science and intelligence is best served by allowing dissent and promoting critical thinking, is it not? One-sided education is simply forced indoctrination into a particular worldview.

Crushing dissent does not advance the interests of science at all.

That is why as far as "evolution" and climate change goes, it is better to allow the teaching of critical viewpoints as well. Unsurprisingly, evolutionists are scared stiff of anyone challenging their theory.
Where did he say anything about crushing dissent? 

"What, then, is the position of the majority of religious Americans about "creation"? Anglicans, Catholics, most Protestant Christians, and Conservative and Reformed Jews believe that God is the Creator, but that he works through the process of evolution, as revealed through modern science. This position is known as theistic evolutionism, and is widespread among modern theologians. It is a little-known fact that Methodists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, the United Church of Christ and many other denominations do not believe that Creation occurred literally as described in Genesis. In fact, the majority of Christian seminaries do not teach a Biblical literalist creation. In the United States and Canada, one tends to find Biblical literalist beliefs being promoted most strongly in small, independent denominations, where it is not uncommon for the leader to have little or no formal theological training."

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2021, 11:21:15 am »
It's just a name change. where I grew up it was called the Municipality of ****, but the Changed it to **** County in the 2000s, I believe. Not sure why. I do believe some places were called Counties from way before though.

It's like people in Ontario who think all of Canada sells milk in bags. Or at least back in the 90s, when guys from Ontario thought you couldn't buy groceries with credit cards, but has been allowed in the west since like the early-80s.

Or those arrogant fools from Ontario and Quebec who think all Canadians refer to home electricity as hydro.  Albertans and Sakatchewanners call it "Harnessed Lightnin'" while out in the Maritimes it's referred to as "magic."  No one outside of B.C. cares about anything to do with B.C. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2021, 12:15:35 pm »
No one outside of B.C. cares about anything to do with B.C. 
You shut your filthy mouth!  >:(

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2021, 01:20:13 pm »
Southern Ontario still has counties.  Always has, although some places like Toronto are no longer part of a county and I don't think there are counties in Northern Ontario. 

Out east, the cities are located in the counties, but the counties have no jurisdiction over the municipalities.  But neither build schools or fund those.  The province decides where to build schools and funds it all and the teachers salaries, etc.  Unions are sometimes too powerful though.