Read 1347 times

• Sagi Keun
  • Adventurer

• May 10, 2018, 11:47:23 am
    • Los Angeles
Rural America Is Running Out Of Teachers
« on: September 08, 2021, 10:27:12 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcI2qyP_uj4

Many schools are now employing teachers that aren't certified.

I suspect a lot of American eslers have opted to stay home, fill these jobs and make $35000 a year.

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
Re: Rural America Is Running Out Of Teachers
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 01:16:10 am »
Canada and the USA are struggling for rural teachers. Honestly I might get back into the teaching game at some point.

Canadian schools are offering houses and benefits for northern teachers. Literally getting 6-7 grand a month with paid housing. The USA must have similar benefits.

I donít understand why ESL is even a thing anymore. All the teachers are retiring now with no new teachers.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 03:37:17 am »
In Florida, they don't have enough of anyone related to education--teachers, subs, cafeteria personnel, janitors, bus drivers, etc. The pandemic seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back regarding working a high stress job at below average pay.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 07:26:28 am »
Because having to teach a class of students who are aggressively anti-education from behind a plexiglas wall while having to take bi-annual seminars on how to properly triage after a school shooting for an income that will result in a net decrease in annual savings seems rather unwise.  :smiley:

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 12:13:57 pm »
I know of five Canadians/Americans that I knew from teaching ESL in Korea (that were already certified, or went back and got their certification and worked at schools in North America) that all left because of how out of control and disrespectful the students are allowed to be back home.  Four went on the to international schools in the Middle East, Asia and Europe and one actually returned to public school here. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 12:31:46 pm »
I know of five Canadians/Americans that I knew from teaching ESL in Korea (that were already certified, or went back and got their certification and worked at schools in North America) that all left because of how out of control and disrespectful the students are allowed to be back home.  Four went on the to international schools in the Middle East, Asia and Europe and one actually returned to public school here. 

Makes sense.  They have to quit being politically correct.  Nowadays, teachers can't discipline the kids at all.  When they really are out of control, the police come and handcuff them, taking them downtown which is far more traumatic than being grabbed by the arm by a teacher and dragged down to the principle's office.  A spanking is far less traumatic than being put in lockup downtown all afternoon.  The far left and their whacky feelings creates even more trauma for kids.  Get rid of political correctness and you will see respect return. 

That said, do some rural parts of America pay teachers low I hear?  May want to fix that, first. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 12:36:16 pm »
I should also add, they got rid of spanking and the kids went wild.  So, then they put them all on ritalin to calm their "hyperactiveness".  Really dumb if you ask me. 

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 01:18:48 pm »
Makes sense.  They have to quit being politically correct.  Nowadays, teachers can't discipline the kids at all.  When they really are out of control, the police come and handcuff them, taking them downtown which is far more traumatic than being grabbed by the arm by a teacher and dragged down to the principle's office.  A spanking is far less traumatic than being put in lockup downtown all afternoon.  The far left and their whacky feelings creates even more trauma for kids.  Get rid of political correctness and you will see respect return. 

That said, do some rural parts of America pay teachers low I hear?  May want to fix that, first. 

The rural part of America where one friend taught certainly paid low.  He returned to Korea to be able to save some money.  With cost of living in taxes he was going into debt teaching in his state. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 01:38:12 pm »
The rural part of America where one friend taught certainly paid low.  He returned to Korea to be able to save some money.  With cost of living in taxes he was going into debt teaching in his state. 

In many other parts of the US, in Canada, and in many other countries, it pays well.  Certified teachers with BEds can usually cross borders easily and get work anywhere.  Not sure why he settled on low pay in a hakwon here unless it was years ago.  He surely could do better, unless he just had no ambitions or cares.  I told one girl in the states complaining about teaching in Alabama (just before covid) to apply for some jobs in the Canadian Arctic, they are usually desperate.  Some of the kids are wild, but the pay is good.  Also good place to get some teaching experience.  Not everyone is willing to do it and go for the isolation though.  I knew some Aussies who got hired in London, UK, as teachers.  Certified teachers can usually cross borders easily though they may have to work in less desireable areas.  But get a green card eventually and move elsewhere better. 

I guess to each their own.   

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 01:40:48 pm »
how good the pay is depends almost entirely on the school district. my aunt and uncle both taught in a nicer district and retired comfortably, others weren't so lucky.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 01:46:25 pm »
In many other parts of the US, in Canada, and in many other countries, it pays well.  Certified teachers with BEds can usually cross borders easily and get work anywhere.  Not sure why he settled on low pay in a hakwon here unless it was years ago.  He surely could do better, unless he just had no ambitions or cares.  I told one girl in the states complaining about teaching in Alabama (just before covid) to apply for some jobs in the Canadian Arctic, they are usually desperate.  Some of the kids are wild, but the pay is good.  Also good place to get some teaching experience.  Not everyone is willing to do it and go for the isolation though.  I knew some Aussies who got hired in London, UK, as teachers.  Certified teachers can usually cross borders easily though they may have to work in less desireable areas.  But get a green card eventually and move elsewhere better. 

I guess to each their own.   

Wanted to live in that part of the states and when he couldn't stomach the teaching there he had fond memories of Korea and returned for four years.  He's  a real homebody so he saves well and does privates. 

One of the friends I mentioned went back to Canada and taught at a First Nations school in northern Saskatchewan.  It was so remote he packed 2000 dollars of canned goods with him for the trip.  There was no town.  Flin Flon, Manitoba was the closest place at two hours away.  It was his second time back in Canada trying to teach and he lasted a week.  He's learned his lesson and has a great set up at an International School in Germany.  The money wasn't worth it for him. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 01:49:19 pm »
Wanted to live in that part of the states and when he couldn't stomach the teaching there he had fond memories of Korea and returned for four years.  He's  a real homebody so he saves well and does privates. 

One of the friends I mentioned went back to Canada and taught at a First Nations school in northern Saskatchewan.  It was so remote he packed 2000 dollars of canned goods with him for the trip.  There was no town.  Flin Flon, Manitoba was the closest place at two hours away.  It was his second time back in Canada trying to teach and he lasted a week.  He's learned his lesson and has a great set up at an International School in Germany.  The money wasn't worth it for him. 

I am sure he's doing well at the interntional school in Germany.  It sounds like your first friend the homebody would do well in this northern Canada place.  As long as there was a good internet connection, decent accomodation, and some netflix with some outdoor activities, it could work for a year or two for me.  Though I'd eventually want to go back to ladies land.  Ha ha. 

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2021, 02:21:06 pm »
One of my friends taught somewhere in remote Ontario on a reserve right after she graduated. She, and another woman teacher, shared a house. The housing was paid for by the reserve. She said it was horrible. Students were rude, often high. Also, rocks were thrown through their house window several times. She, and the other lady, got out of there when their year was up. She is now teaching in Calgary, better working conditions, and students, and much happier.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 02:25:09 pm by pkjh »

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2021, 02:40:35 pm »
I am sure he's doing well at the interntional school in Germany.  It sounds like your first friend the homebody would do well in this northern Canada place.  As long as there was a good internet connection, decent accomodation, and some netflix with some outdoor activities, it could work for a year or two for me.  Though I'd eventually want to go back to ladies land.  Ha ha. 

I'm guessing with a group of teachers in that remote a location with nothing to do there were probably weekend key parties. 

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 12:57:56 am »
Because having to teach a class of students who are aggressively anti-education from behind a plexiglas wall while having to take bi-annual seminars on how to properly triage after a school shooting for an income that will result in a net decrease in annual savings seems rather unwise.  :smiley:
That's pretty much it.

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2021, 01:21:36 pm »
My first student-teaching experience was at a junior high in a rural-suburban district in Ohio. The district was considered the highest performing in the county. My cooperating teacher consistently downplayed the importance of slavery in causing the Civil War. My second experience was at a high school in the local "urban" district, rock-bottom in the county. That cooperating teacher not only did the same thing, she also claimed that Christopher Columbus was just an explorer, that claims of him committing genocide were "revisionist history." This despite the fact that the man himself wrote down what he did...
My final student-teaching experience was back in that suburban-rural district, but at the high school this time. While those other things never came up, the man said something crazy about every week. The most egregious I can recall is that he claimed, over a decade later, that the money trail from 9/11 led to Saddam, and thus we were justified in invading Iraq. I kid you not.
There was one thing in common with each of those schools, however: you don't ever touch the students. This has nothing to do with "the far left and their whacky feelings," it was entirely about avoiding liability. Parents will sue on a hair trigger. And I just looked it up real quick, there are still states with corporal punishment, but one published rationale for banning it is: "Corporal punishment should be banned in schools because it leads to psychological damage to the child."
Blaming over-policing in schools on the left is just nuts. So is advocating for beating children. The morally correct position is that both are wrong, and if you resort to spanking you're probably just a lazy disciplinarian who shouldn't be allowed into schools at all.
Last thing, here in Korea I make over $30k a year and don't have to put up with right-wing political correctness, the kind that has no connection to objective reality at all. So I am in no hurry to get my stateside teaching license renewed, compared to Ohio this country is a paradise.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2021, 01:28:49 pm »
We donít understand the Korean language well enough to know what Korean social studies teachers are telling their students about Japan. Might be fair, might not. We donít know.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2021, 01:58:03 pm »
My first student-teaching experience was at a junior high in a rural-suburban district in Ohio. The district was considered the highest performing in the county. My cooperating teacher consistently downplayed the importance of slavery in causing the Civil War. My second experience was at a high school in the local "urban" district, rock-bottom in the county. That cooperating teacher not only did the same thing, she also claimed that Christopher Columbus was just an explorer, that claims of him committing genocide were "revisionist history." This despite the fact that the man himself wrote down what he did...
My final student-teaching experience was back in that suburban-rural district, but at the high school this time. While those other things never came up, the man said something crazy about every week. The most egregious I can recall is that he claimed, over a decade later, that the money trail from 9/11 led to Saddam, and thus we were justified in invading Iraq. I kid you not.
There was one thing in common with each of those schools, however: you don't ever touch the students. This has nothing to do with "the far left and their whacky feelings," it was entirely about avoiding liability. Parents will sue on a hair trigger. And I just looked it up real quick, there are still states with corporal punishment, but one published rationale for banning it is: "Corporal punishment should be banned in schools because it leads to psychological damage to the child."
Blaming over-policing in schools on the left is just nuts. So is advocating for beating children. The morally correct position is that both are wrong, and if you resort to spanking you're probably just a lazy disciplinarian who shouldn't be allowed into schools at all.
Last thing, here in Korea I make over $30k a year and don't have to put up with right-wing political correctness, the kind that has no connection to objective reality at all. So I am in no hurry to get my stateside teaching license renewed, compared to Ohio this country is a paradise.

The State can pass laws making schools immune from 2 or 3 bad parents who like to bitch and ruin it for everyone else including sue crazy idiots who want a lawsuit to payoff so they can live in easy street.  As for a spanking or not, it's not beating your kid with a fist.  When a kid with extreme behavioral problems won't listen, will you keep asking them nicely over and over again and getting no results.  Good luck.  Far better than having police come and arrest kids or put them all on ritalin and prozac due to being "out of control".  Doping kids up seems more lazy to me than spanking. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2021, 02:04:27 pm »
I'd rather have gotten a spanking than this bs gestapo shit.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article251555893.html

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/police-release-video-officers-berating-handcuffed-5-year-old-boy/LHMHHWQW5VB75PHPQWB7JXFHGM/

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/06/21/mainefocus/she-wants-to-know-why-police-handcuffed-her-son-in-school/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/flint-police-apologize-handcuffing-7-year-old-student-n455796

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/rnc-child-advocate-report-1.6103692

I equally read a news story from my hometown several years back about 2 girls in high school who had an arguement and one girl poured a milkshake over the other girls head.  Instead of being yanked down to the principles office and threatened with suspension and given detention or cleaning chores, she was charged by police and had to go to court and testify before a judge. 

Again, you get rid of discipline of any sort in the school and replace it either with drugs mentioned above or use police state fear tactics instead.  Tell the few bitching parents to F off and get bent,  Bring back common sense.  I was grabbed by the arm and threatened with the strap a couple of times.  Far less scary than being handcuffed by the cops and taken downtown nowadays and the scene it would make.  Absolutely stupid and nonsensical. 

Get rid of the paddle, well good job!  Use fascism instead or force feed them drugs.  Yeah, that's not lazy?!!  A spanking and some other discipline like detention is far less traumatizing to kids. 

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2021, 02:38:41 pm »
We donít understand the Korean language well enough to know what Korean social studies teachers are telling their students about Japan. Might be fair, might not. We donít know.
There are two big teachers unions in Korea. One is considered conservative, right-wing in the Korea sense, which means they are more pro-US alliance, more international friendly, and still have a lot of misogynistic views that are quickly going out of style in modern day Korea. The other side is considered liberal, view North Korea with rose-colored lenses, anti-American, anti-foreign worker, but are very forward thinking on domestic social issues that would even make the most liberal of westerners blush.

Anyways there was a period, between 1990-2010-ish, when the more 'liberal' teachers were very vocal, and got very political in classes. From 1950 to the 80s universities were a hotbed of antigovernmental 'liberal' political thought. Liberal being anti-dictatorship, anti-American, anti-capitalist, anti-foreigner, pro-NK, thought. And the 90s is when the first batch of these graduates entered the schools as teachers, and was the first time anyone was able to express their political views without the fear of being arrested, and tortured. So left-leaning teachers took full advantage of it, and it has shaped a significant portion of the current 20-50 year old minds now.

The current situation, at least from my observation, is that things are pretty neutral now when it comes to the discussion in classes like social studies.