Read 6007 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Moving to China - A SERIOUS THREAD
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2021, 11:39:00 am »
Except for the one that was briefly detained around the same time the Michael's were detained. 

Global Affairs Canada confirmed earlier on Wednesday that a third Canadian has been detained, but their identity hasnít been disclosed because of the privacy act, officials said

There was an English teacher who was there on the wrong visa.  She was detained briefly and then deported.  It had nothing to do with these cases and would have happened anyways.  If you come to Korea too, get the right visa or get deported.  It happens here too as well as China.  Some foreigners are too dumb to know this.  Even before I came to Korea, I knew I needed and E2 Visa.  If I hadn't of gotten it or was told to come voer as a tourist, I would have rejected the offer.  I did 5 minutes of research.  It always amazes me how some foreigners don't do any research. 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #181 on: September 27, 2021, 12:15:53 pm »
One really funny thing about China is, once you go through all the rigours and tests the first time round, you never have to do any further tests when renewing your visa.

I had to go through all of it every time I renewed.
Waygo0k may be talking about a tourist visa.  For Americans, I got mine in 2018 and it was a major hassle, with umpteen documents.  However, it's good for unlimited entries until 2028

Nope, I'm talking about work visas.

Mine just got renewed in the summer. Didn't have to lift a finger beyond submitting my passport and school documents. Same for my dozens of other colleagues. Zero drugs or HIV tests.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2021, 12:21:25 pm »
This is the message that several people I know received (I never get emergency notices, for some reason):

Using Papago, it looks like it is a strongly worded recommendation rather than an outright requirement.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 12:23:58 pm by Kyndo »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2021, 12:36:45 pm »
This is the message that several people I know received (I never get emergency notices, for some reason):

Using Papago, it looks like it is a strongly worded recommendation rather than an outright requirement.

Except for like 3 or 4 Costco runs in a bigger metropolitan city, I have rarely ventured outside my province since February, 2020, minus a short summer jaunt over to Pohang in August of 2020.  I may hit Seoul this winter since it will have been 2 years by this point.  At least if it is cold, wearing a mask outside may not be so bad.  But in the heat, yuck!  At least out in the provinces, I can take it off sometimes and keep some distance.  Mask on warm or hot days outside, not fun. 

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #184 on: September 27, 2021, 12:55:10 pm »
Nope, I'm talking about work visas.

Mine just got renewed in the summer. Didn't have to lift a finger beyond submitting my passport and school documents. Same for my dozens of other colleagues. Zero drugs or HIV tests.

Did you leave the country? That could explain it.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #185 on: September 27, 2021, 01:10:38 pm »
There was an English teacher who was there on the wrong visa.  She was detained briefly and then deported.  It had nothing to do with these cases and would have happened anyways. 

You're that naive to think that she was detained only because of her work permit, or is that wishful blinders?  China also has said the two Michael's arrest had nothing to do with Meng Wanzhou's detainment.  Amazing, then, to think the two Michael's crossed paths with her over the Pacific the other day.  The Canadian teacher wasn't worth holding on to but guaranteed they hassled her more because of the situation with Canada. 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #186 on: September 27, 2021, 01:18:30 pm »
Did you leave the country? That could explain it.

Haven't left the country since I arrived, so you're probably right.

Though I've done a bazillion covid tests due to intercity travels...thankfull y they're piss cheap (from free to 120CNY depending on where you go).

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #187 on: October 14, 2021, 02:39:02 pm »
I screenshot online discussions editing out names for privacy.  I didn't participate in the coversation but it just reconfirms things.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #188 on: October 14, 2021, 06:57:02 pm »
Is this an eye test?

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #189 on: October 14, 2021, 10:09:01 pm »
Are these the ''friends'' you very frequently refer to?

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #190 on: October 15, 2021, 08:58:35 am »
now hes posting screenshots of convos with his recruiter buddies lmao. best of luck to them hangook, hopefully they eventually get you over

« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2021, 06:55:24 pm »
Are the screens shots of pre- July 2021 conversations???
China really did seem like a good up comming opportunity for future ESL workers,especially considering the much higher earning capacities for almost equivalent work.
Unfortunately the Educational Reforms that were introduced by the CCP government have been completely wiping out all of the for-profit English Schools and many English teachers there have completely lost their jobs and now entirely relying on private tutoring (going to the previous students' apartment and conducting 1- on- 1 or group sessions, which is illegal I believe??).

While I didn't want to go over there personally, I was all for encouraging the young grads to take a gap year over there, but now seeing how easy it is for the Chinese Government to implement changes overnight and wipe out a whole industry, I am  not so sure about recommending China for ESL work . It's basically the equivalent if Korea decided to just shut down their whole Hakwon industry, which would be insane, and luckily impossible due to the better government and rights here.

If anyone still wants to try teaching at  Chinese public schools, I'm sure it's still possible... but better make it a quick on year in and out thing... tackle the debts, put something cool, on the resume, and move on.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #192 on: October 16, 2021, 09:08:00 pm »
Interesting that China is doing the exact same thing Korea did a long time ago with shutting down hagwons. All it did was drive it underground, and basically only the rich got exposure to NETs. My guess in a few years the Chinese, from a combinations of public pressure, realization that of lost tax revenue, and that it was just a misguided move, will reverse the shutdown.

« Reply #193 on: October 16, 2021, 09:23:01 pm »
Interesting that China is doing the exact same thing Korea did a long time ago with shutting down hagwons. All it did was drive it underground, and basically only the rich got exposure to NETs. My guess in a few years the Chinese, from a combinations of public pressure, realization that of lost tax revenue, and that it was just a misguided move, will reverse the shutdown.

Really? I didn't know that Korea also tried shutting down all of their Hakwons... ... the only thing that I've heard is that they legally reduced the hours of operation from 3:00 am to 10:00 pm.. but many school were still pushing the limits. I do hope that China reverses the shutdown, and also the online education shut down as well. They have a huge market over there, and the country seems to be in the peak of its development (probably China is similar to what Korea was like in the 80's ~ 90 perhaps??). Companies like VIP kid and Magic Ears provided jobs for so many overseas teachers and also the Chinese local staff as well. They got huge investments, as online education was expected to become the next big thing.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #194 on: October 16, 2021, 10:51:35 pm »
Really? I didn't know that Korea also tried shutting down all of their Hakwons... ... the only thing that I've heard is that they legally reduced the hours of operation from 3:00 am to 10:00 pm.. but many school were still pushing the limits. I do hope that China reverses the shutdown, and also the online education shut down as well. They have a huge market over there, and the country seems to be in the peak of its development (probably China is similar to what Korea was like in the 80's ~ 90 perhaps??). Companies like VIP kid and Magic Ears provided jobs for so many overseas teachers and also the Chinese local staff as well. They got huge investments, as online education was expected to become the next big thing.
It was a long time ago, like in the late-80s, early-90s era. They didn't want families blowing their money on education when public education should be theoretically free, and equally accessible. But as usual, all it does it furthers the gap between rich, and poor, and shuts out the lower half completely from access to whatever the government is trying to ban at the time.

« Reply #195 on: October 16, 2021, 11:00:29 pm »
It was a long time ago, like in the late-80s, early-90s era. They didn't want families blowing their money on education when public education should be theoretically free, and equally accessible. But as usual, all it does it furthers the gap between rich, and poor, and shuts out the lower half completely from access to whatever the government is trying to ban at the time.

Were you living in Korea during that time as well? I'm quite interested to know what it was like for ESL teachers here during those days. Especially since EPIK wasn't established until 1995. I am assuming a lot of the teachers had to pack up and leave for Japan or back home?

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2021, 08:12:16 am »
Are these the ''friends'' you very frequently refer to?

No, this in a Korea expat group and a conversation I followed from those currently over there now.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2021, 08:13:24 am »
You're that naive to think that she was detained only because of her work permit, or is that wishful blinders?  China also has said the two Michael's arrest had nothing to do with Meng Wanzhou's detainment.  Amazing, then, to think the two Michael's crossed paths with her over the Pacific the other day.  The Canadian teacher wasn't worth holding on to but guaranteed they hassled her more because of the situation with Canada. 

She was held for a couple of weeks and then deported at the time.  It has also happened in Korea due to being on the wrong visa.  Some folks don't do their homework. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2021, 08:15:43 am »
Are the screens shots of pre- July 2021 conversations???
China really did seem like a good up comming opportunity for future ESL workers,especially considering the much higher earning capacities for almost equivalent work.
Unfortunately the Educational Reforms that were introduced by the CCP government have been completely wiping out all of the for-profit English Schools and many English teachers there have completely lost their jobs and now entirely relying on private tutoring (going to the previous students' apartment and conducting 1- on- 1 or group sessions, which is illegal I believe??).

While I didn't want to go over there personally, I was all for encouraging the young grads to take a gap year over there, but now seeing how easy it is for the Chinese Government to implement changes overnight and wipe out a whole industry, I am  not so sure about recommending China for ESL work . It's basically the equivalent if Korea decided to just shut down their whole Hakwon industry, which would be insane, and luckily impossible due to the better government and rights here.

If anyone still wants to try teaching at  Chinese public schools, I'm sure it's still possible... but better make it a quick on year in and out thing... tackle the debts, put something cool, on the resume, and move on.

No, October, 2021.  Those changes still have plenty of jobs now.  Only thing that throws a wrench in it is the covid border restrictions.  Can still get in but a real hgassle for now.  Still plenty of jobs available. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #199 on: October 18, 2021, 08:28:43 am »

I thought teaching began in the early to mid 90's here.  Mostly in Seoul and a bit in a couple of other cities.  By the late 90's foreigners started spreading out to regional cities and the countryside and then the Asian crises hit and much of the country emptied out for 2 or 3 years.  A few stayed from that time but not many.  I was also told that it was hard to send money out then, though not sure if it was because many teachers were teaching illegally or whatnot.  Korea got back to what it was in some ways by 2001 and also repaid the IMF quite fast.  Korea could export it's way out of the crises and got citizens to hand over their gold.  Many older Koreans say the economy has never been the same since then, though.  2008 was another punch to the gut though.  It was a big crash also on the exchange rate though not as bad as 1997 but the 97 crash recovered fast whereas the 08 crash the exchange rate took years to recover for some countries while never recovering for American teachers. 

The 90's was the wild west and the 2000's decade was the wild west becoming more tame but still a bit wild.  The 2000's decade was the sweet spot due to the money you could bank in inflationary terms, the easy going nature of the place, not too many rules or at least strictly enforced.  Outside of Seoul and a couple of bigger cities you were a bit of a minor celebrity.  My own country town you could count on two hands the total number of foreign looking people (excluding Filipinos or Vietnamese wives) that lived there briefly.  I wasn't the first whitey there, but there were not many before me and only a couple in the public school system before me and it was years as they had a gyopo.  People would stare at you and kids would firek out screaming waygookin and hello at you.  Nowadays, even the rural areas have a few foreigenrs and many have gone through for years.  So, seeing a foreigner in that place is now no big deal.  Come to think of it even going to Seoul in 2008 you would get some Koreans wanting to talk to you just because you were a foreigner and hang out with you for the afternoon.  A lawyer, a businessman, a retired grandpa, etc.  Folks were less impressed to see you overall in Seoul than in the countryside, but I still had my run ins like that.  Nowadays, not so much.  Being a foreigner here is almost no big deal nowadays.  The whole vibe of the place has changed.  I bet some parts of China would still have this vibe.  Maybe not so much the tier one cities though.  I miss old Korea along with the pay.