Read 3481 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Moving to China - A SERIOUS THREAD
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2021, 01:27:23 pm »
And often the places provided here are cheap and tiny with many problems though the odd hogwon will splurge for a nice place.  Many won't.  Apartments I've seen many expats get even in a Tier two city in China (at least pictures, YouTube videos and what some friends who went told me) the apartments seem nicer and larger there.

« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2021, 01:28:05 pm »
  This is how much our purchasing power has dropped and how little respect NETS must have if they are payed just above Korean minimum wage. Paying the minimum means what 10 to 15 years to pay that sucker off?  Korea is BS nowadays and most younger folks, if they are smart will skip it and not listen to the recruiters lies.
The problem, and this is possibly due to mental deficiency, is that you think certain things are true/part of your premise that are not established.

- You assume that your wage is about "respect", not about market forces. It is based on supply and demand, not whether you are "respected".
- Again, people come here for different reasons. I know your ego is so fantastically bloated that you think you have your finger on the pulse of young people around the world thanks to a two minute conversation in Starbucks, but the fact is many young people are coming here for travel/cultural experience/other non-economic reasons and NOT simply to squeeze every 10-won they can out of the country. NOT EVERYONE IS YOU.

If you start with false assumptions/premises you will arrive at inaccurate conclusions. Adjust your reasoning.

You can still make a case for moving to China for economic reasons without having stupid reasons for thinking that. "Due to elevated interest and desirability as a living destination, Korea's wage growth for ESL should remain pretty flat. Increasing numbers of people are willing to work in Korea for reasons beyond making money and this has the effect of flattening wage growth. China appears to have better prospects for generating bankable income."

That's all you have to say. But when you say the other stuff, people think you are an idiot because you are making idiotic assumptions.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2021, 01:51:56 pm »
The problem, and this is possibly due to mental deficiency, is that you think certain things are true/part of your premise that are not established.

- You assume that your wage is about "respect", not about market forces. It is based on supply and demand, not whether you are "respected".
- Again, people come here for different reasons. I know your ego is so fantastically bloated that you think you have your finger on the pulse of young people around the world thanks to a two minute conversation in Starbucks, but the fact is many young people are coming here for travel/cultural experience/other non-economic reasons and NOT simply to squeeze every 10-won they can out of the country. NOT EVERYONE IS YOU.

If you start with false assumptions/premises you will arrive at inaccurate conclusions. Adjust your reasoning.

You can still make a case for moving to China for economic reasons without having stupid reasons for thinking that. "Due to elevated interest and desirability as a living destination, Korea's wage growth for ESL should remain pretty flat. Increasing numbers of people are willing to work in Korea for reasons beyond making money and this has the effect of flattening wage growth. China appears to have better prospects for generating bankable income."

That's all you have to say. But when you say the other stuff, people think you are an idiot because you are making idiotic assumptions.

Yes, Mister apologist....

You're an idiot for advocating people should be happy to work for less. 

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2021, 02:00:48 pm »
Yes, Mister apologist....

You're an idiot for advocating people should be happy to work for less.

Hangook, why did you come to Korea?

Is it possible that other people don't have 100% the exact same reason for coming here?

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2021, 02:04:10 pm »
Good grief hangook77, just go to China already and give us a break.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2021, 02:24:35 pm »
Hangook, why did you come to Korea?

Is it possible that other people don't have 100% the exact same reason for coming here?

Huh?  Korea paid a good entry wage when I came (almost 3 million in today's money with inflation factored in but was 1.9 mil my first year), it was easy to get in (just use a recruiter - none of this EPIK jump through hoops and long interviews), you got the guest of honor treatment, contracts weren't too badly written, and lots of unofficial extra time off.  It was a great deal.  If Korea was like it was now and I were looking to go for the first time, I wouldn't come here for this.  I thought you knew this.  I mean it's just common sense that Korea was a good deal and it made folks want to stay.  It's still not bad for me in some ways, but when I see others get ripped off (2.1 is shit in 2021).  If my job left, I would leave.  I wouldn't be bottom feeding for 2.1 or 2.5 or whatever.  Korea did a bait and switch.  The place has become kind of boring compared to what it use to be in some ways. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2021, 02:25:33 pm »
Good grief hangook77, just go to China already and give us a break.

Ask to make less than 2.1 and give us a break since you are so enthusiastic about it.  Give me a break.  Since you are just here for the "experience".  Maybe you should pay them?

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2021, 02:31:32 pm »
Huh?  Korea paid a good entry wage when I came (almost 3 million in today's money with inflation factored in but was 1.9 mil my first year), it was easy to get in (just use a recruiter - none of this EPIK jump through hoops and long interviews), you got the guest of honor treatment, contracts weren't too badly written, and lots of unofficial extra time off.  It was a great deal.  If Korea was like it was now and I were looking to go for the first time, I wouldn't come here for this.  I thought you knew this.  I mean it's just common sense that Korea was a good deal and it made folks want to stay.  It's still not bad for me in some ways, but when I see others get ripped off (2.1 is shit in 2021).  If my job left, I would leave.  I wouldn't be bottom feeding for 2.1 or 2.5 or whatever.  Korea did a bait and switch.  The place has become kind of boring compared to what it use to be in some ways. 

I thought since you said housing was factored in to salary no one was at 2.1.  Pretty much everyone would be at 2.5 equivalent.  To have housing included makes a difference, as you know since you include it in your calculation of your salary.

Does anyone know of a current ESL teacher making 2.1 with no housing?  I think we can finally put the 2.1 salary total to rest.  Hell, lots of public school teachers still get a renewal bonus.  I don't consider that part of the salary but you do, so 2.5 wouldn't even be accurate in your estimation.  I guess we're looking at between 2.5 and 2.6 as the lowest pay.  Seems alright for new arrivals.  I guess that's why they keep coming. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 02:41:19 pm by OnNut81 »

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2021, 02:33:23 pm »
Huh?  Korea paid a good entry wage when I came (almost 3 million in today's money with inflation factored in but was 1.9 mil my first year), it was easy to get in (just use a recruiter - none of this EPIK jump through hoops and long interviews), you got the guest of honor treatment, contracts weren't too badly written, and lots of unofficial extra time off.  It was a great deal.  If Korea was like it was now and I were looking to go for the first time, I wouldn't come here for this.

Is it possible that other people don't prioritize the things you listed? Or they have other things they are looking for alongside some, or all, of the things you wanted?

This will help you keep your inflation numbers accurate
https://www.inflationtool.com/south-korean-won

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2021, 02:49:22 pm »
Is it possible that other people don't prioritize the things you listed? Or they have other things they are looking for alongside some, or all, of the things you wanted?

One thing I've learned for sure, is that Hangook (who doesn't make a bad case for China if paying off your debts is your sole motivation) is not able to grasp that his motivations are not most other people's.  Time and time again he throws out debt paying as everyone's reason for being here, even though that is based on it his being his reason.  And people like me that didn't accrue student debt?  Well, we're rich kids kicking back and just enjoying ourselves.  He is unable to get that.  And it's been pointed out countless times by countless posters.  You're either a rich kid (thought they'd choose to kick back on the Mediterranean coast) or you're trying to pay off your debts and China is best for you.  That's it. 

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2021, 03:38:32 pm »
Let me understand this...some people pay back their student loans?!?

« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2021, 05:40:48 pm »
Ask to make less than 2.1 and give us a break since you are so enthusiastic about it.  Give me a break.  Since you are just here for the "experience".  Maybe you should pay them?
It's basically a working vacation or gap year. Do you understand that concept?

No one is saying that they WANT to make 2.1,just that the wage is that low because of the market.

Korea is becoming like European destinations and Japan for people more into the experience than just pure money making.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2021, 05:59:34 pm »
For those old enough to remember......

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2021, 09:43:52 pm »
For those old enough to remember......

Uh, I remember $5 a day. 

I spent many hours in 1976-77 planning my one month trip going through Europe on my way back to the US from Africa ...

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2021, 11:48:29 pm »
There is a critical shortage of nurses in the US. Making more while doing something more worthwhile is IMO a great alternative to dead end ESL jobs. Not qualified? Once Biden's budget is passed, community college will be free.

Plus the chance to meet attractive members of the opposite sex without standing in line at Starbucks.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2021, 01:46:50 am »
The average salary for a registered nurse is $36.91 per hour in the United States.

https://www.indeed.com/career/registered-nurse/salaries

$75,330 per year:

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/mobile/registered-nurses.htm

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2021, 02:06:48 am »
Wow.

In 1994 Texas hospitals actively recruited nurses from my uni in Alberta with promises of a free car, free house or free land on completion of a 5-year contract.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2021, 06:59:53 am »
Huh?  Korea paid a good entry wage when I came (almost 3 million in today's money with inflation factored in but was 1.9 mil my first year)

This will help you keep your inflation numbers accurate
https://www.inflationtool.com/south-korean-won

Just for reference, using that inflation calculator, 1.9 million in 2010 is 2.25 million today.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2021, 09:29:57 am »
But he came in 2006… so that’d be over 2.5 in today’s money.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2021, 09:51:59 am »
But he came in 2006… so that’d be over 2.5 in today’s money.

Well, you know and I know that inflation is always higher than what is officially reported.  Just compare the prices from here to now and then compare it on things like homes, etc.  I'd put that 1.9 closer to upper 2.0's now and the 2.1 that many in the hogwans at that time were starting at around 3 mil in today's money.  Also, if you are American factor in the exchange rate and the fact that deductions are a higher percentage than they use to be.  I remember my total deducations equalled around 8 to 9 per cent of my pay and now are clsoer to 13 per cent and I still usually owe another 300 thousand won at the end of the year.  In 2006, 2 million won was $2100 dollars US and now $1711 dollars US.  It is 400 dollars less per month and even more with inflation.  If you could have sent home 1.4 million won then due to a cheaper living cost and you got $1500 US in your bank back home after the wire transfer, maybe a bit less, compared to now that is a lot.  Now you might be able to send home 750,000 won and it is $641 dollars US.  Americans make a big mistake when they think 1000 won equals one dollar because they lose a lot of money.

So, that 1500 USD a month you use to be able to save is worth what in today's money?  The inflation calculator claims that is almost 2000 USD in today's money though prob more as official inflation is always under reported.  So, the ability for an American to save 2000 dollars in 2021 dollars versus less than 650 a month now?  Yeah, you're being ripped off.  That amount is shrinking each year due to inflation here too.  I think most folks knew why most expats came over here for that kind of money saved each month.  Plus you didn't have to be frugal.  You could travel every weekend somewhere in Korea and eat out cheaply and still have lots left over to send home.  Foreigners are absolutely ripped off now.  It seems more like China is paying that now or letting you save that and more now.  Though we are in a holding pattern to some degree till this covid nonsense is done.