Read 1665 times

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Re: Native Teachers without College Degrees Might be Allowed to Teach at Hakwons
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2021, 01:20:09 pm »
Yeah, I know about Humber. It's a good school. I got a 2 year diploma there "Small Craft and Marina Technician". Sounds kinda fancy but what we learned was sailing, boat and engine repair and navigation. I got a job as a yacht delivery guy and was manager of the charter fleet at a sailing school on Queen's Quay in YYZ.  Did deliveries to the BVI's and between islands for a while. Lots of fun.

I taught sailing in Korea on a 35' yacht and raced in competitions as well. Another story......

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: Native Teachers without College Degrees Might be Allowed to Teach at Hakwons
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2021, 01:45:02 pm »
I taught sailing in Korea on a 35' yacht and raced in competitions as well. Another story......
I think i know you!

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
I would say that as this program is a "certificate of completion," it is a credential enhancer program. There are teachers in ESL/ or higher education in Toronto, who already have received their Bachelor Degrees, Teaching credentials, and if they're teaching in colleges they have their master's degree, and this course is more of a career enhancer and something to help them stay relevant and up to date in their classrooms and curriculum when it comes to cultural inclusion and diversity (especially this is important in large multicultural cities such as Toronto).

I would assume they are paid more than local minimum wage?  (Though ESL wages use to be good in Korea and shit in the US and Canada.  Now, they may have reached an equilibrium, almost.)

I would assume they are paid more than local minimum wage?  (Though ESL wages use to be good in Korea and shit in the US and Canada.  Now, they may have reached an equilibrium, almost.)

I worked at post-secondary institutions before coming over here, and if you do not have a masters degree, then you are also stuck on contract work. However, the pay will be about $60,00 (CAD) per hour. If you work at the tutoring centre/ students centre at one of the institutions, as a Bachelor Degree holder+ the appropriate certificate of completion.. then you can get the 20 ~ 25 per hour (CAD) . However, the cost of living is incredibly high that almost all of the wages will go into paying for your rent and food and transportation unfortunately.
To live well in Canada, one would need an income of at least $5,000.00 ~ $7,000,00(CAD), which software engineers or well establish graphic designers/ web designers / developers make. That or nurses. The ESL field back home is just to unstable and seasonal.