Read 363 times

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
When did Ikseon-dong in Jongno become a cool area?
« on: September 03, 2021, 10:39:36 am »
I tend to hit up an area in Seoul and explore until I've had enough and move on, so I haven't been to the Jongno area in probably a few years.  Insa-dong long ago lost my interest but in August I roamed past Tapgol park into this Ikseon-dong neighbourhood and it was bustling and pretty cool.  Lots of narrow pedestrian only walkways with plenty of Hanok houses and nice cafes and restaurants and even a classic Korean video arcade tucked away.  It was packed, but not with the sightseers and tourists of Insa-dong next door, but people out dining and drinking.  There were some creepy fifty year olds lurking about, but otherwise a pretty trendy young crowd.  Has this area been happening for a while now, and I just was busy exploring Lotte World Mall, or is this a recently gentrified area?  I'll be headed back.  Good vibe and somewhere in Seoul that feels new to this guy who first arrived as a tailor's apprentice in the early 80's. 

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
Re: When did Ikseon-dong in Jongno become a cool area?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 02:46:22 pm »
It's been developing like this for the last 3-4 years, though it's only started to attract a lot of out-of-towner daytripper types maybe in the last two. It's now PACKED every weekend, to the point that it's actually quite difficult to walk down those narrow alleys. I like that Aledong craft beer place a lot, and they do good coffee, too. There's still a section that's a bit more old school, with a bunch of cheap, plastic stool barbecue restaurants, but it's quickly getting munched up by the more fashionable bits. There's a nice little wine bar across from the place that looks like a French hotel. Speaking of Frenchy things, the French restaurant nearby serves some of the best mussels I've had in Korea (though not as good as the French restaurant in Sharosugil). There's some kind of happy hour deal at the Ikseon-dong place, but although the restaurant is actually run by a Frenchman, they've Koreanized it and made it all complicated. Twice I've gone and tried to get a happy hour deal, thinking I was doing the right thing - each person at the table ordering one beer or glass of wine + a main dish - but there's always some problem that I have to embarrassingly ask about at the pay counter. Last time it was because there were two or three wines available by the glass, and I ordered one that was 7,000 won, but Happy Hour applied only to the 6,000 won option, or something like that.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 06:22:10 pm »
I tend to hit up an area in Seoul and explore until I've had enough and move on, so I haven't been to the Jongno area in probably a few years.  Insa-dong long ago lost my interest but in August I roamed past Tapgol park into this Ikseon-dong neighbourhood and it was bustling and pretty cool.  Lots of narrow pedestrian only walkways with plenty of Hanok houses and nice cafes and restaurants and even a classic Korean video arcade tucked away.  It was packed, but not with the sightseers and tourists of Insa-dong next door, but people out dining and drinking.  There were some creepy fifty year olds lurking about, but otherwise a pretty trendy young crowd.  Has this area been happening for a while now, and I just was busy exploring Lotte World Mall, or is this a recently gentrified area?  I'll be headed back.  Good vibe and somewhere in Seoul that feels new to this guy who first arrived as a tailor's apprentice in the early 80's. 
Not sure if subtle jab related to all the age-related pseudosleuthing or actual observation....

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 07:12:20 am »
There were some creepy fifty year olds lurking about, but otherwise a pretty trendy young crowd.

FYI we donít refer to elders in this manner, here in Korea.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 08:47:33 am »
I'll refer to creepy, wrinkly, stinky old achoo-shis in any way I desire.

You hear me?

You hear me?!

Creepy.

Creeeeeepyyyyyy!

:evil:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 08:49:07 am by WhenInRome... »

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 10:04:37 am »
Not sure if subtle jab related to all the age-related pseudosleuthing or actual observation....

I thought it was an unsubtle reference to all the blanket bashing for anyone middle aged.  But, yes, it was facetious. 

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 10:06:17 am »
FYI we donít refer to elders in this manner, here in Korea.

In Ikseon-dong I was told itís cool, though.

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 11:47:46 am »
even a classic Korean video arcade tucked away.

Did it have Fart Car?