Read 995 times

Re: 2,700,000 won-3.9million won
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2021, 06:43:52 am »
Here's an interesting thread if you want to know how much UK teachers are saving. Of course they get decent pensions and mortgages but it still isn't that impressive. A lot of them are saving 0 pounds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeachingUK/comments/pgh491/as_a_teacher_how_much_have_you_got_in_savings/

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2021, 07:07:06 am »
Minimum wage in the majority of provinces is above $13.00 an hour.

Alberta and BC are around $15 for example, no Canadians will work for minimum wage!

So not sure where 13.00 is the average

4 of the 10 provinces have a minimum wage of over $13.
The territories do as well, but there are some pretty extreme cost of living caveats there that make it necessary.
https://www.retailcouncil.org/resources/quick-facts/minimum-wage-by-province/

As of 2021, $13/hour is the national average of McDonalds employees.
Entry level workers make less, managers etc make more.
https://ca.talent.com/salary?job=mcdonalds
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 07:10:24 am by Kyndo »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2021, 07:26:01 am »
There's a recent ad on Dave's ESL Cafe for an online English teacher to "work from anywhere" teaching Korean students. The pay rate: $12 an hour.

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2021, 07:56:56 am »
There's a recent ad on Dave's ESL Cafe for an online English teacher to "work from anywhere" teaching Korean students. The pay rate: $12 an hour.

What are the qualifications for the job? Does the applicant need to be a Native English Speaker from the 7 countries with a college degree, or is it open to other English speakers from Europe, Indian, Philippines?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 07:58:47 am by HiddenInKorea »

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2021, 08:14:58 am »
Here's an interesting thread if you want to know how much UK teachers are saving. Of course they get decent pensions and mortgages but it still isn't that impressive. A lot of them are saving 0 pounds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeachingUK/comments/pgh491/as_a_teacher_how_much_have_you_got_in_savings/

The one thing that has been great about Korea is the ability to save the majority of one's income.
While teachers in the UK might have higher wages, the higher cost of living there eats up into their savings potential.
I know that many, including myself, are not happy about the wages in Korea in the TEFL industry in 2021, but to be honest new young grads still have the ability to save up to $1,000 USD if they are really frugal.
And honestly, I came to realize that in a way our industry in Korea here is very much protected and exclusive thanks to Korean xenophobia and racism towards East Asians (there are tons of excellent and qualified teachers in the Philippines and India with teachers licenses that could do the Job of a young North American college grad for much cheaper ), but thanks to the Korean mothers, they will never be allowed to set foot into the majority of the classrooms. Secondly, luckily Korea has strict rules on who can obtain the E-2 teaching visa, which disqualifies Scandinavian countries, where citizens speak almost fluent English, and non- bachelor degree holding North American, Australians, ect). Incoming teachers are still pretty lucky to have such plentiful and abundant opportunities to get a job in a week and move anywhere in the country (this kind of flexibility isn't readily available back home).

Here is an article on Indian EPIK teachers
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/special/2010/11/181_76086.html
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 08:21:15 am by HiddenInKorea »

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2021, 08:42:18 am »
The school has 'challenged the prejudice' by paying the Indian teacher less than another nationality for doing exactly the same job  :smiley: 

I've nothing against Indians or Phillipino/as working as English teachers as long as parents/schools etc. acknowledge that they may not be native speaker standard, even if they have advanced TEFL qualifications. If they desire a native speaker quality accent they can require an 8/9 at IELTS speaking, with a minimum 8 for pron if they wanted to.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2021, 08:57:00 am »
While teachers in the UK might have higher wages, the higher cost of living there eats up into their savings potential.

yeah, thats the main thing for me. back in the states where i lived an apartment will run you around 1k on the low end. of course you can always go rural but then theres the issue of finding a job out there, and youd also have to be well-suited to a more secluded lifestyle unless you want to spend what you wouldve spent on rent making weekend trips to the city. that said if i had a remote job that provided a secure income or hell won the lottery and could live off investments id probably make like my uncle and buy a cabin up in the mountains to spend most of my years.

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2021, 11:30:46 am »
The school has 'challenged the prejudice' by paying the Indian teacher less than another nationality for doing exactly the same job  :smiley: 

I've nothing against Indians or Phillipino/as working as English teachers as long as parents/schools etc. acknowledge that they may not be native speaker standard, even if they have advanced TEFL qualifications. If they desire a native speaker quality accent they can require an 8/9 at IELTS speaking, with a minimum 8 for pron if they wanted to.

I'm highly against having them in this industry .. it'll keep driving the wags down and our jobs would be in danger.
Maybe its a good thing that the 3D factory work is paying higer wage these days, hopefully they'll all go there!

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2021, 12:02:07 pm »
at least some of them know when to use "use to" vs "used to"...
more gg more skill