Read 812 times

Let's stress out (techniques/tips you use to release stress)
« on: August 30, 2021, 10:52:52 pm »
I wanna make a thread on how we can diffuse our stress.
I suffer from anxiety.
To relieve my anxiety I was instructed to perform square breathing.  Personally that was not helpful at all.

Last year I was introduced to a new way of breathing for me and when I am stressed out IT WORKS so I wanted to share with it with  you.
Its 4, 7, 8...
It has helped me tremendously. Breathe in 4,,,hold in 7,,,,,,let out for 8.
Whenever I am stressed out I feel so much more relaxed when Im
 doing this style of breathing...

ANYWAYS...

Help us alleviate our stress!

Tell us your de-stress techniques.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 11:10:30 pm by dippedinblush »

Re: Let's stress out (techniques/tips you use to release stress)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 11:12:17 pm »
These days tbh I think Korea is my 666 and I'm living in a hellscape, so let's share our relaxation techniques!  LOL
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 11:14:48 pm by dippedinblush »

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 12:25:29 am »
Well, I'm doing the final stretch of my PGCE and the workload is pilling on. I'm going to be up most of the night because I can either be tossing and turning and wake up having slept terribly, only to do my assignment after work or... finish it during the night, wake up feeling like crap, but at least have this assignment done so I can work on the next one that's due Friday.

How I deal with stress:

Pray - I know it's not most people's thing here, but for me, Salah isn't just about worship, but also about putting things into perspective, particularly on the occasions when I do Tahajjud (night prayer, where you wake up in the middle of the night and pray, alone and in silence. It's just you and God.). It helps put things into perspective that any stress I'm going through is trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Training - This really helps to manage overall stress, but not for a particularly stressful day. My training is intense, but very short so I'm usually left with heightened senses and aggression at least an hour after training.

Breathing - I don't have any special breathing exercises, but one seems to work... moderately. I take a few moments to allow all the stressful feelings and anxiety to swell up then, I take a long a deep breath (at least 5-10sec) while still focusing on the stressful feelings. I hold my breath for a relatively long time, while playing out and focusing on the anxiety and stress. When holding my breath becomes uncomfortable, I gradually exhale while imagining the stress and anxiety getting exhaled.

Watching something that typically goes unnoticed, particularly in nature - It's nothing special, but I always find it calming to watch something like a little bug go about it's business, while I'm on my balcony. These small creatures are doing amazing things and nobody pays attention because they're so small and common. After watching the little bug for 5min as it moved from the stone into the crevice and out of sight it feels like I've been on a mini adventure with the little guy.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 02:54:01 am »
Going through a company restructure can be quite a stressful experience. As a result of this pandemic with the dramatic drop off in student numbers the division of my Uni has gone through two of them in the last two years. In can be very stressful having to re-apply for your job, by going through the process of writing out an EOI, and taking an interview with a panel of your boss and two other independent people external to the organisation. The period of time leading up to the restructure is the worst, knowing that some of your co-workers that you've been associated for a considerable period of time, are not going to make it through. In my case it was the source of much anxiety, given that I would be one of the least obsequious employees, when dealing with management.   

I found myself doing some extraordinary workouts during this lead up period. It wouldn't be uncommon to drop into my gym at 3.00am when I couldn't sleep. Although some of these workouts were a little unstructured and disorganised, the fight or flight energy would kick in, and I remember doing some extraordinary things on the stairs tread mill in the early hours of the morning. I also recall shoulder pressing some massive amounts of weight, without much thought of the consequences should things go awry. On a positive note, I did drop a significant amount of weight and survived the first restructure. When the second restructure came around this year, I was pretty much resigned to my fate and fully expected not to make it, given that, at the end, there would only be a skeleton staff of 4 full time equivalent teachers left.  As I have survived again, the feeling is something akin to survivors guilt, when I think about all the teachers that haven't made it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 05:06:46 am by Adel »

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 08:47:12 am »
My GP recommended Kava root. It either works or is one heck of a placebo.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 11:18:04 am »
I'm in a pretty good place, nothing much has been stressing me, in general life, for some time. However, I do tend to think too hard when I turn the lights out. This, at times, has led to hours of tossing things around in my head, then stress about not sleeping, then not being able to sleep some more...So, I use the sound of rain, a storm, or waves, as a means of relaxing, and drifting off. Usually works just fine.

I've been doing a stretching routine most days, for about 4 months now. I don't know, but this may be one reason why I'm not feeling much stress or pressure in my daily life, lately. It certainly makes my body feel good. Just a thought!

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 11:40:43 am »
I workout, drink tea, clean, and watch movies in the dark.

Which one I do depends on what's going on and how high energy my stress is making me. Sometimes I need to beat it out of me with a lot of activity, sometimes I just need to unwind.

• nightninja
  • Expert Waygook

• April 02, 2018, 03:20:32 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 12:03:17 pm »
taekwondo or swimming, watching cleaning videos or cleaning myself, sometimes if its the weekend just going to a hotel by myself and just relaxing with some good food

• Periwinkle
  • Veteran

• December 13, 2010, 06:34:34 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 08:03:23 am »
Aromatherapy works wonders for me. You can practice it  exclusively or combine it with snacks and a good movie for perfect relaxation.

Edit:  A cup of steamy green tea is nice too.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 08:06:29 am by Periwinkle »

• slimerat
  • Newgookin

• August 30, 2021, 08:07:21 am
    • Yeonggwang
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 01:14:19 pm »
I like to do yoga that is focused on meditation and breathing. It's a good way of combining exercise with breathing practice.

Or just positive affirmations, I don't normally have happy or positive things to say or think so I make myself do it.  I will write them down over and over again or just repeat them out loud.

Really the most common one I use is to just take a break and relax after school. Set aside a few hours for uninterrupted time.

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2021, 10:32:22 am »
Turns out sending my brother weird videos is also a tell for me, he knows I'm under a lot of stress if I'm finding weird shit funny and sharing them with him, lol.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2021, 10:45:06 am »
Go for a long walk. (OnNut style)

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 11:15:16 am »
Go for a long walk with a partner. (Hangook style :wink:)
more gg more skill

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2021, 11:30:02 am »

1/
In uni, after exams, my roomies and I would smoke pot, watch videos and
generally giggle the day away. (Not recommended for Korea)

2/
Smoke a nice cigar.

3/
Drink.

4/
Throw disc.

5/
Take a Xanax. This one is guaranteed.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 11:36:31 am »
I workout, drink tea, clean, and watch movies in the dark.
If by workout you mean hike the nearest steep hill then yeah. I do all those things.

Plus hug my two 8-year-old cats. Stress melts away with the purr.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2021, 12:09:15 pm »
Turns out sending my brother weird videos is also a tell for me, he knows I'm under a lot of stress if I'm finding weird shit funny and sharing them with him, lol.

must be bad news for me because i find that shit funny 24/7