Read 4924 times

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
Re: The PC Police now want to cancel the fighting Irish mascot.
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2021, 02:18:06 pm »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgfYH7yXl6U

Maybe we don't need to revive the whole "right-wingers can't do comedy" discussion, but HOLY SHIT, I dare you to watch this. I don't know which pansy woke snowflake generation invented the term "gigacringe", but it's never been more apt.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2021, 02:20:05 pm »
That it truly is.
Yeah, except almost exactly not. 

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2021, 11:04:20 pm »
If you don't think human nature is rooted in animal nature, you're an idiot and a science denier.
If you don't understand the difference between the two, you're barely sentient.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #203 on: September 14, 2021, 01:43:55 pm »
Maybe we don't need to revive the whole "right-wingers can't do comedy" discussion, but HOLY SHIT, I dare you to watch this. I don't know which pansy woke snowflake generation invented the term "gigacringe", but it's never been more apt.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_EGGil1CY

Bill Maher is out to lunch except for when he isn't.  I disagree much of the time, but he does sometimes go into good points for a liberal.  He calls out the woke losers well.

« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2021, 03:02:31 pm »
If you don't understand the difference between the two, you're barely sentient.
Obviously they're different, but human nature is rooted in animal nature. You see this in a variety of behavioral patterns, conflicts, and other things that underpin human nature. For example almost all human societies at one point or another formed a form of monarchical government, even at the tribal level. A strong man would emerge, they'd pass rulership onto their kin. Humans are driving to a massive degree by sexual reproduction. Then you get into conflicts over territory, resources, status, etc.

Human nature is a product of evolution if you believe in science. Now many believe there is a divine element and I'm not here to debate that, only to say that if you believe in science, then you must believe that human nature is largely connected to animal nature due to evolutionary biology.

To say otherwise is to literally deny science.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2021, 06:48:35 pm »
Obviously they're different, but human nature is rooted in animal nature. You see this in a variety of behavioral patterns, conflicts, and other things that underpin human nature. For example almost all human societies at one point or another formed a form of monarchical government, even at the tribal level. A strong man would emerge, they'd pass rulership onto their kin. Humans are driving to a massive degree by sexual reproduction. Then you get into conflicts over territory, resources, status, etc.

Human nature is a product of evolution if you believe in science. Now many believe there is a divine element and I'm not here to debate that, only to say that if you believe in science, then you must believe that human nature is largely connected to animal nature due to evolutionary biology.

To say otherwise is to literally deny science.
Blah, blah, blah.

"you must believe" No, one need not be so simplistic in their thinking and beliefs.

« Reply #206 on: September 15, 2021, 11:47:40 am »
Blah, blah, blah.

"you must believe" No, one need not be so simplistic in their thinking and beliefs.

if you believe in science, then you must believe that human nature is largely connected to animal nature due to evolutionary biology.
Just because it is simple, doesn't mean it isn't true.

Care to dispute that statement and specifically cite what is wrong with it? Or will you continue with your science denialism and superstition?

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2021, 12:16:41 pm »
Believe in the facts says the man who continually walks away from facts into his own alternate reality world.

Which voice of Marty is posting today? Normally, it's the BS one!

« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2021, 01:12:17 pm »
Believe in the facts says the man who continually walks away from facts into his own alternate reality world.

Which voice of Marty is posting today? Normally, it's the BS one!
Notice how you are not addressing the issue of human nature, animal nature and biology?

Instead you are just going after me.

Contribute to the discussion or piss off.

• Savant
  • The Legend

« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2021, 01:23:32 pm »
Notice how you are not addressing the issue of human nature, animal nature and biology?

Instead you are just going after me.

Contribute to the discussion or piss off.

You are not qualified to discuss the intricacies or distinctions in human and animal nature.

You only offer some attempted enlightened thinking from that of a layman.

Again, you are trying to exert yourself into being some expert on a subject, which you are not.

You are trying to take the argument to a place which is irrelevant to the actual discussion.

"Human nature is rooted in animal nature" hasn't been answered by you yet or was your pathetic reasoning about monarchical governments your way of trying to explain yourself?

« Reply #210 on: September 15, 2021, 01:33:03 pm »
You are not qualified to discuss the intricacies or distinctions in human and animal nature.

You only offer some attempted enlightened thinking from that of a layman.

Again, you are trying to exert yourself into being some expert on a subject, which you are not.

You are trying to take the argument to a place which is irrelevant to the actual discussion.

"Human nature is rooted in animal nature" hasn't been answered by you yet or was your pathetic reasoning about monarchical governments your way of trying to explain yourself?

Please enlighten us as to your qualifications o great one.

• Savant
  • The Legend

« Reply #211 on: September 15, 2021, 07:34:31 pm »
Please enlighten us as to your qualifications o great one.

I'm not the one trying to school everyone on the subject. Neo, you are not!

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #212 on: September 15, 2021, 08:10:42 pm »

Care to dispute that statement and specifically cite what is wrong with it? Or will you continue with your science denialism and superstition?

You are operating under the delusion that your obstinance is intelligence. It's not--it's your animal nature ego.

« Reply #213 on: September 16, 2021, 03:27:26 am »
I would just like to point out that the response of a college educated adult to the statement "Obviously they're different, but human nature is rooted in animal nature...(and) that if you believe in science, then you must believe that human nature is largely connected to animal nature due to evolutionary biology." was...

"Blah, blah, blah.

"you must believe" No, one need not be so simplistic in their thinking and beliefs."

Then you have Savant doing the "You are not qualified to discuss the intricacies or distinctions in human and animal nature." without stating what qualifications are necessary and that he doesn't have to offer any of his own qualifications because he isn't "schooling anyone"...while trying to school someone for what they're saying.

Notice how he doesn't address whether anything is factually incorrect. By his "logic" people can't state basic facts because they aren't experts or some such.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #214 on: September 16, 2021, 06:26:26 am »
I would just like to point out that the response of a college educated adult to the statement "Obviously they're different, but human nature is rooted in animal nature...(and) that if you believe in science, then you must believe that human nature is largely connected to animal nature due to evolutionary biology." was...

"Blah, blah, blah.

"you must believe" No, one need not be so simplistic in their thinking and beliefs."

Then you have Savant doing the "You are not qualified to discuss the intricacies or distinctions in human and animal nature." without stating what qualifications are necessary and that he doesn't have to offer any of his own qualifications because he isn't "schooling anyone"...while trying to school someone for what they're saying.

Notice how he doesn't address whether anything is factually incorrect. By his "logic" people can't state basic facts because they aren't experts or some such.
You used both belief and facts to support your non-argument. Which is it?

• GregoryTeacher
  • Adventurer

• August 30, 2016, 02:49:37 pm
    • Haenam City, South Korea
    more
« Reply #215 on: September 16, 2021, 07:42:23 am »
You used both belief and facts to support your non-argument. Which is it?

jfc this guy is brain dead.

humans ARE animals. of course human behavior comes from the environments which produce it, as with any animal. there is no inherent "human nature," not in any immutable sense. there is only environments and responses/adaptations to environments. there is cause and there is effect. anything else is merely superstition.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/animal-emotions/201605/not-so-different-finding-human-nature-in-animal-nature

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #216 on: September 16, 2021, 08:46:12 am »
C'mon.

I can't be the only Humanities grad here (am of Philosophy, ... like History, Art, Literature, Foreign Languages, Religion, Music)

There is claimed by many academics to be a FUNDAMENTAL differerence between animal and human nature. That should be trite to say. (Most of us graduated uni, eh?)

Perhaps our cognition of self-awareness AND reflection of counterfactuals, imaging a  possible different result of our actions and our role in making it happen...AFFECTS our decisions (yes, reflective thought not stimulus-response).

In another, related line of thinking, ...

• Savant
  • The Legend

« Reply #217 on: September 16, 2021, 09:55:02 am »
There are aspects of human nature and animal nature that are similar but one is not “rooted” in the other.

Yes, our ancestry shares genetic material with primates but humans didn’t stump around all those years ago thinking that “those animals have got this nature thing going really well, let’s have some of that.”

« Reply #218 on: September 16, 2021, 11:13:17 am »
C'mon.

I can't be the only Humanities grad here (am of Philosophy, ... like History, Art, Literature, Foreign Languages, Religion, Music)

There is claimed by many academics to be a FUNDAMENTAL differerence between animal and human nature. That should be trite to say. (Most of us graduated uni, eh?)
Sorry, but the more we learn about the role of genetics, the way we see certain behaviors linked to animal behaviors through evolution, learn more about human cognition, behavior and perception through the hard sciences, etc. the more it becomes clear that our behavior is strongly rooted in animal nature.

I mean, if people think "human nature" is whatever we have now or had for the last 100 years, then that's just ludicrous considering the breadth of human history. Even if you include recorded history, that's still ridiculous considering that humans as a species were around for 20X longer than that or even longer.

If one wants to believe that human nature is something else, that's fine, but it is not based on science, but as GregoryTeacher said, on superstition or something else.

An academic in the liberal arts frankly doesn't carry the same weight with me as someone in the hard sciences. Now, I don't ascribe to the 100% science and evolution view of humanity either, but I do acknowledge that part of that entails stuff which runs counter to science and cannot be defined and I also acknowledge that animal nature has a massive impact on human behavior such that the belief that we AREN'T driven by animal nature is wishful thinking and runs counter to the evidence.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #219 on: September 16, 2021, 07:02:50 pm »
Sorry, but the more we learn about the role of genetics, the way we see certain behaviors linked to animal behaviors through evolution, learn more about human cognition, behavior and perception through the hard sciences, etc. the more it becomes clear that our behavior is strongly rooted in animal nature.

I mean, if people think "human nature" is whatever we have now or had for the last 100 years, then that's just ludicrous considering the breadth of human history. Even if you include recorded history, that's still ridiculous considering that humans as a species were around for 20X longer than that or even longer.

If one wants to believe that human nature is something else, that's fine, but it is not based on science, but as GregoryTeacher said, on superstition or something else.

An academic in the liberal arts frankly doesn't carry the same weight with me as someone in the hard sciences. Now, I don't ascribe to the 100% science and evolution view of humanity either, but I do acknowledge that part of that entails stuff which runs counter to science and cannot be defined and I also acknowledge that animal nature has a massive impact on human behavior such that the belief that we AREN'T driven by animal nature is wishful thinking and runs counter to the evidence.
Prejudice is an evolutionary trait linked to survival. That's animal nature. Overcoming that trait, including the motivation behind such an urge, is human nature.