Read 3640 times

• Sagi Keun
  • Adventurer

• May 10, 2018, 11:47:23 am
    • Los Angeles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tAQ70CYMTA

Employers are experiencing a labor shortage.. because the employee experience sucks.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
People are deciding, ďI donít want to workĒ, which is causing a labor shortage? How are they getting money? Leeching off their parents? The government? Living off their savings until that runs out?

The video said their is a shortage of coders. They could become self employed doing that.

• T_Rex
  • Veteran

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
"Women are leaving the workforce at a disturbing rate....

"A March 2021 U.S. Census Bureau population survey found that 80% of those who left the workforce since the COVID-19 pandemic began in early 2020 were women, while a recent McKinsey study confirmed that one in four women have seriously considered taking a step back from their careers in the past 12 months."
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/women-are-leaving-the-workforce-at-a-disturbing-rate-heres-what-leaders-can-do-about-it-11625702002

I suspect that many of them are receiving financial support from a significant other and/or the government.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Probably a factor, but I'm fairly certain that for a good percentage of those women, it's the fact that daycares and schools are closed (or have become exorbitantly expensive) and somebody has to  home with the kids...  :sad:

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Good economy and working from home has been a game changer, at least in the US.  Also, who wants to live in an overpriced rent wise $h!thole?  Live somewhere cheaper and earn a living. If you want a rat race troll, pay more. 

Employers are experiencing a labor shortage.. because the employee experience sucks.

This is correct, and it's been going on for at least a decade in America. They paid me lots in the corporate world, but no amount is enough to want to work in a horrible culture filled with horrible people. I make way more now and don't have to tolerate the nonsense. Others I know have got out too, and paid the price of lower income, just to free of the whole mess and thus have higher quality of life.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Lots of reasons but a big one is low pay for a heavier and heavier workload. Consider that it's been calculated that you need to earn almost $21 an hour to afford a one-bedroom apartment in most cities. Plus the pandemic has brought home that there's more to life than working in a dead end job.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Oh, itís so hard to get by that people are stopping working completely? What kind of logic is that? How are people living? Only a tiny, tiny fraction of Americans are homeless. As a percentage, itís very, very few. Attractive women can get money from thirsty men, but what about everyone else?

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Oh, itís so hard to get by that people are stopping working completely? What kind of logic is that? How are people living? Only a tiny, tiny fraction of Americans are homeless. As a percentage, itís very, very few. Attractive women can get money from thirsty men, but what about everyone else?
Are you drunk? Is that why you mentioned thirsty?

They are not "stopping working completely." They are looking for better, more rewarding employment while refusing to take low-paying dead end jobs that put them in the crosshairs of Covid-19.

You're a government employee, a class of worker not normally known for working their fingers to the bone. And it's hard to understand why you remain in SK while pump, pump, pumping sunshine about the US. What's up with that?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
As of 2020, 1 in 500 Americans is homeless. That's a small percentage, yes, but well over half a million individuals.  :sad:
Also, I suspect that the percentage of women who make their primary living off of "thirsty men" is not much higher than the percentage of homelessness.

But to (partially) answer your question, according to this article, 3 out of 10 Americans are raiding their retirement savings to stay afloat during the pandemic.  :sad:

• T_Rex
  • Veteran

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
Fast food restaurants are struggling to retain employees.

" 'We have all these employees and all of a sudden, they are just gone,' Starr Restaurants CEO Stephen Starr said Wednesday on CNBCís 'Squawk Box.' 'They donít want to come back.'

"Those dynamics have forced many restaurants to hike pay, offer bonuses and improve their benefits. McDonaldís raised pay for workers at company-owned restaurants by an average of 10% in May and urged franchisees, who operate 95% of its U.S. locations, to follow its lead. It also said it would pilot an emergency child-care service. Chipotle Mexican Grill raised its hourly wages to an average of $15 and debuted referral bonuses."
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/23/fast-food-wages-climbed-10percent-in-latest-quarter-the-largest-jump-in-years-report-says.html

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Fast food restaurants are struggling to retain employees.

" 'We have all these employees and all of a sudden, they are just gone,' Starr Restaurants CEO Stephen Starr said Wednesday on CNBCís 'Squawk Box.' 'They donít want to come back.'

"Those dynamics have forced many restaurants to hike pay, offer bonuses and improve their benefits. McDonaldís raised pay for workers at company-owned restaurants by an average of 10% in May and urged franchisees, who operate 95% of its U.S. locations, to follow its lead. It also said it would pilot an emergency child-care service. Chipotle Mexican Grill raised its hourly wages to an average of $15 and debuted referral bonuses."
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/23/fast-food-wages-climbed-10percent-in-latest-quarter-the-largest-jump-in-years-report-says.html

Good!

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Never underestimate the power of saying the words "I quit" to the boss. Especially at a time when it is most problematic for said boss. It is invigorating. It is empowering. It is enlightening. It is freeing. And it is deifying.

When the shit has hit the fan and you have had enough for whatever reason, telling the boss you quit is better than drugs. Better than sex. Even better than Tenacious D.

I worked on the Zapata Scotian oil rig a long time ago. It was a 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off schedule. During my 3 weeks off the rig had been towed in to Halifax Harbour for routine maintenance. During that time a huge storm roared through the North Atlantic and the Ocean Ranger rig went down with all hands lost. I knew why. All rig workers did.

When I was to start my 3 weeks on, the rig was still in port. No problem, I still went to work. I was living in Halifax at the time so I went home after my shift which was from 1900 to 0700 hrs. I was a sous chef and during the night shift it was I and the head chef only on duty. We did all the baking for the day shift too.

Shortly after I went home that morning there had been a serious malfunction in the sewage and drainage system. Every single pot and pan had been used. 3 meals + snacks + baking for 86 men. All the massive sinks were filled to the top with sludge water. Stacks of greasy and grimy pots and pans piled  to the ceiling had been sitting for hours.

The toolpush (boss) was sitting in the galley when I came on duty with the chef. They were waiting for me. The chef looked  both guilty and sad. The toolpush, who was Danish and a serious mega arsehole looked like the cat who ate the canary. He told me I had to wash all the dishes, pots and pans and be ready for dinner service. The only serviceable sink was strictly for washing hands. A small bathroom sink and the toolpush expected me to wash roasting pans for 30 pound chunks of meat that had been sitting for hours.

I took a look, lost my mind and walked out of the galley taking off my kitchen white apron and threw it in his face and told him to stuff his job because "I QUIT!!!" (Not even close to that polite)

I walked off the rig laughing while he sat there like a slack jawed yokel.

Adjectives do not exist to describe how freaking awesome that felt.

The Ocean Ranger, man. That was a human tragedy just waiting to happen.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
As long as the arrogant CEOs can afford to live in New York City, I guess screw everyone else?  No wonder so many moved away.  Who wants to pay those prices, plus deal with the sky high crime?  Set up a satellite office in the midwest, rocky mountains, south, or elsehwere and pay the same (no pay cuts - looking at you jerk Google).  Let folks work out of there one or two days a week and work home the rest of the time.  If not, then time to quit.  Bye bye jerks.  Either jack up pay for everyone and not just the IT people but for everyone or keep pay the same and let folks move far away.  Either that or have your staff quit on you.  Sionara.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
cool story LIC! i'm sure that felt good. i was doing food running/expo at a super overpriced fusion restaurant (who hired me with 0 experience) and the head chef was a real ****head. he started firing a bunch of my friends and other servers and when i quit he said "oh i was gonna fire you tomorrow anyway" i think a few months later HE got fired
more gg more skill

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
cool story LIC! i'm sure that felt good. i was doing food running/expo at a super overpriced fusion restaurant (who hired me with 0 experience) and the head chef was a real ****head. he started firing a bunch of my friends and other servers and when i quit he said "oh i was gonna fire you tomorrow anyway" i think a few months later HE got fired

Yeah, you gotta get out of a toxic workplace and go work for someone else.  They aren't worth it long run.