Read 6543 times

Re: Confucianism; How to Understand Korean Culture
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2021, 06:45:06 am »
These are very small infractions, and - in my opinion - can be fun to read so long as they don't completely derail a conversation.

Obviously these trolls have completely derailed the conversation, intentionally.

If one was to remove every minor incidence of it (ie off-topic posts, tongue in cheek responses etc) then every forum in the world would be eerily silent.

I’ve actually seen this done on a forum, and the result was a civil high quality site. The current practice drives high quality posters away from this site, and leaves the career trolls.

« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2021, 06:47:40 am »
Back on topic, who a country puts on its bills says a lot about the culture and what they value…

Faces on Korean bills (1k, 5k, 10k, 50k)…

[From left to right: Neo-Confucian philosopher, Neo-Confucian philosopher, King who made Neo-Confucianism the state ideology, mom of Neo-Confucian philosopher.] #유교

« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2021, 07:01:51 am »
Back on topic, who a country puts on its bills says a lot about the culture and what they value…

Faces on Korean bills (1k, 5k, 10k, 50k)…

[From left to right: Neo-Confucian philosopher, Neo-Confucian philosopher, King who made Neo-Confucianism the state ideology, mom of Neo-Confucian philosopher.] #유교
Things I hear Koreans discuss on a habitual basis: The teachings of Yi Hwang vs. Yi I.

« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2021, 07:36:47 am »
Things I hear Koreans discuss on a habitual basis: The teachings of Yi Hwang vs. Yi I.

Do any of you actually work in the Korean education system, or better yet own a business in this industry? The system is built around the Mencian “water the seed” philosophy of how parents (“tiger moms” as America labeled them) can shape the moral character and abilities of their children. There are genetic limitations in the seed, of course, but a seed can thrive or go bad depending on nurture. Especially you see it in the private academies: hyper-competitive seed cultivation.

This was the philosophy of the guys on these bills, and it’s the current philosophy of moms, who in turn make it the philosophy of their children. As fas as individuals’ intellectual knowledge on this stuff, it varies but is usually fairly low. But in culture things travel outside of intellectual awareness.

« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2021, 07:59:08 am »
Do any of you actually work in the Korean education system, or better yet own a business in this industry? The system is built around the Mencian “water the seed” philosophy of how parents (“tiger moms” as America labeled them) can shape the moral character and abilities of their children. There are genetic limitations in the seed, of course, but a seed can thrive or go bad depending on nurture. Especially you see it in the private academies: hyper-competitive seed cultivation.
The system is built around the teachers unions, teachers looking to earn points or just go through the motions and collect their pension and not get fired/sued, trying to deal with daily fatigue with coffee as 25 little shits run around in their classroom and looking forward to going home for the day or to get hammered after work, and politicians looking for votes and waging bureaucratic battles over funding.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2021, 02:10:18 am »

This was the philosophy of the guys on these bills, and it’s the current philosophy of moms, who in turn make it the philosophy of their children. As fas as individuals’ intellectual knowledge on this stuff, it varies but is usually fairly low. But in culture things travel outside of intellectual awareness.
I like the seed metaphor, but where are the Nobel prizes?

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2021, 07:56:11 am »

I’ve actually seen this done on a forum, and the result was a civil high quality site. The current practice drives high quality posters away from this site, and leaves the career trolls.

Then why are you on this forum, if the other forum really exists?  Unless, you don't consider yourself a high quality poster?  I consider you a high quality poster and I back you leaving here and going back to that civil forum that you inexplicably left to come here, a place you obviously dislike. 

« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2021, 06:59:55 am »
The system is built around the teachers unions, teachers looking to earn points or just go through the motions and collect their pension and not get fired/sued, trying to deal with daily fatigue with coffee as 25 little shits run around in their classroom and looking forward to going home for the day or to get hammered after work, and politicians looking for votes and waging bureaucratic battles over funding.

The philosophical system exists, as do the daily mechanics in the mundane world.

If one wants to own a business that makes piles of money larger than you can even spend, as I do, then one needs to understand the market and customers. The moms subscribe to Mencian philosophy.