Read 5769 times

Re: The first wtf moment you had in Korea?
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2021, 12:20:32 am »
When I first got here the neon crosses got me too. It just made Korea seem so different than what I had imagined.  For some reason they seemed like Las Vegas cheap.  I still think that some of the most ugliest churches reside in Korea.

When I first got here I was astounded by the hard mattresses and no box springs. So hard and uncomfortable.   And for the most part that hasn't changed.  Also no bed sheets.

Also I was given the most expensive rice cooker and I didn't understand why or how I could cook anything with it, when all I truly wanted was a toaster.

I also was skeeved about the communal soap on a metal stick...

But I think what really made me WTF was with the PE teacher at the first middle school I was at.  He was a drunk that was able to drunk sojo and smoke cigs anywhere and everywhere.   He would hit the children with a huge bamboo stick and make them kneel on their desks and hit them on their thighs (boys and girls).  Then he would take a metal rod and make the male students assume the pushup position and hit them.  Everywhere and anywhere. 

The most shocking thing I have ever seen in Korea is when the same PE teacher (clearly a drunk abuser) went through every class and chopped off all the hair of the female students to be chin length.  May I tell you that colours or dyes never even existed then, and the girls didn't even dare have long hair that they do now.  He just went to every female student and chopped their hair off with kitchen scissors and put their hair in a box.  When he was done there was a huge box of black hair.

Well I will tell you that one boy...a boyfriend of one of the girls called the cops on the PE teacher for infringing on his gf rights.  And that boy got expelled.  The PE teacher remained.

When I saw the whole situation I cried in the bathroom alone.  I've never seen anything like that in my life.  He grabbed the girl's hair so violently and cut it off.  ALL THAT I REMEMBER IS TWO OPEN BOXES OF BLACK HAIR  at the entrance of the school.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 12:26:09 am by dippedinblush »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2021, 03:17:40 am »
When I first got here I was astounded by the hard mattresses and no box springs. So hard and uncomfortable.   And for the most part that hasn't changed.  Also no bed sheets.
I noticed likewise. I just bought an extra blanket to put on the mattress and go to the 24-hour laundromats once a month or two to wash it along with the cover blanket.

I have never understood that. Instead, an extra 5 seconds of water rinsing/rubbing.

But I think what really made me WTF was with the PE teacher at the first middle school I was at.  He was a drunk that was able to drunk sojo and smoke cigs anywhere and everywhere.   He would hit the children with a huge bamboo stick and make them kneel on their desks and hit them on their thighs (boys and girls).  Then he would take a metal rod and make the male students assume the pushup position and hit them.  Everywhere and anywhere. 

The most shocking thing I have ever seen in Korea is when the same PE teacher (clearly a drunk abuser) went through every class and chopped off all the hair of the female students to be chin length.  May I tell you that colours or dyes never even existed then, and the girls didn't even dare have long hair that they do now.  He just went to every female student and chopped their hair off with kitchen scissors and put their hair in a box.  When he was done there was a huge box of black hair.

Well I will tell you that one boy...a boyfriend of one of the girls called the cops on the PE teacher for infringing on his gf rights.  And that boy got expelled.  The PE teacher remained.

When I saw the whole situation I cried in the bathroom alone.  I've never seen anything like that in my life.  He grabbed the girl's hair so violently and cut it off.  ALL THAT I REMEMBER IS TWO OPEN BOXES OF BLACK HAIR  at the entrance of the school.
I have heard similar and worse stories.

The good news is: if that teacher was caught on a smartphone, his *** would be grass or re-assigned, due to online media pressure on politicians and thus the education ministry.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 03:21:25 am by VanIslander »

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2021, 03:55:50 am »
When I first got here the neon crosses got me too. It just made Korea seem so different than what I had imagined.  For some reason they seemed like Las Vegas cheap.  I still think that some of the most ugliest churches reside in Korea.

Also I was given the most expensive rice cooker and I didn't understand why or how I could cook anything with it, when all I truly wanted was a toaster.

The hardcore PE teachers are more common in the rural areas. Especially with organized sports. In Canada the PE teachers would be in jail!

The bamboo stick across the hands or running until you barf is ridiculous but happens when teams lose games.

« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2021, 08:34:46 am »
The PE teachers were really nice at the rural schools I taught at. Often they had the best English of any Korean at the school, definitely better than the official English teachers. Maybe the hardcore ones were from like 20 years ago or more.

Anyway first WTF moment was when I got off the plane in Incheon, seriously jet lagged and tired after a 12 hour flight from SFO, waiting for the recruiter to pick up me and some other recruits. We were all standing around and this fat Korean woman came up to me, grabbed my arm and told me to give her money (in English). I had to yank my arm out of her grip and told her to **** off, and she toddled off. Never had anything like that happen again.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 09:24:03 am by MayorHaggar »

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2021, 07:14:53 pm »
running until you barf is ridiculous but happens when teams lose games.
The bag skate...

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2021, 06:19:22 pm »
The bag skate...
That's Canada, US with a lack of ice we had to do suicides. (that's what we called them)

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2021, 06:38:14 pm »
That's Canada, US with a lack of ice we had to do suicides. (that's what we called them)

Yep.  I felt that term was bad optics, so I quashed it and called them "wind sprints" as coach and AD.

You don't want them puking, so you have to watch for paleness and shaking.  And don't use them as punishment, any more than a math teacher wants to see kids punished by doing rows and rows of extra math.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2021, 11:46:25 am »
The hardcore PE teachers are more common in the rural areas. Especially with organized sports. In Canada the PE teachers would be in jail!

The bamboo stick across the hands or running until you barf is ridiculous but happens when teams lose games.

Thirty years ago in the maritimes we had that too.  Maybe not the cane, but the principal gave the strap.  PE teachers could run you a lot if you were being punished.  Some were real jerks about it.  But around this time, the stick started going away I do believe.  May have happened elsewhere much earlier.  We use to be more conservative than other places but now much more liberal it seems.  Kind of like Ireland in some ways except without their economic growth.  I do remember being able to go to the park by myself , going to school like myself, riding my bike by myself, etc.  Kids today can't do that and it's so sad for them.  (Well, they can in Korea.) 

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2021, 01:35:10 pm »
Thirty years ago in the maritimes we had that too.  Maybe not the cane, but the principal gave the strap.  PE teachers could run you a lot if you were being punished.  Some were real jerks about it.  But around this time, the stick started going away I do believe.  May have happened elsewhere much earlier.  We use to be more conservative than other places but now much more liberal it seems.  Kind of like Ireland in some ways except without their economic growth.  I do remember being able to go to the park by myself , going to school like myself, riding my bike by myself, etc.  Kids today can't do that and it's so sad for them.  (Well, they can in Korea.) 

In 1991 schools principals were using the strap on students in The Maritimes? I don't bloody well think so. I was there then.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2021, 02:11:34 pm »
In 1991 schools principals were using the strap on students in The Maritimes? I don't bloody well think so. I was there then.
Places in Alberta was still using the strap until the late-80s. And it was still in the books until the mid-90s, but cp wasn't being actively used after like 1988-ish though.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2021, 02:15:08 pm »

I got warned I'd get it the next time.  I didn't get it.  I came close a couple of times.  Though I did grabbed by the arm and dragged down to the principal's office and grabbed by the ear too.  I did get the stick by parents and family and even a couple of adults in church a couple of times as a kid.  It was never anything too severe compared to what I heard many kids or even worse, my grandparents generation went through.  But I do definitely know shortly after that the strap was never offered again.  I heard sometime it was illegal.  I know high schools never gave it out.  Some of the students there might have hit back anyways?  Who knows? 

Speaking of my grandparents above.  I had one set that were really old.  My grandpa born in the 1910's and was a student in the 1920's.  Him and some friends went to a country one room school house.  They put a bullet in the stove and when the teacher lit the fire it went kabang firing and clanging in the stove and pipe for a long time.  The teacher beat them good as my grandfather told me.  Some tough old broad with a huge stick.  Arms hands, legs, butt, etc.  My grandfather told me he hid his hands from his mother and didn't dare show her.  Funny story good prank.  Beating not so much.  I never got corporal punishment like that.  I never got it in school though I came close. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2021, 02:30:21 pm »
Places in Alberta was still using the strap until the late-80s. And it was still in the books until the mid-90s, but cp wasn't being actively used after like 1988-ish though.

Some places still used into early 90's I suspect.  Some places may have banned it or not used it earlier.  I am guessing most places didn't use it by the mid to late 80's though?  But some places still have it on the books I read.  Texas is one place I know for sure.  Probably in other places.  Some State schools are real hard ass.  Like if you're late a truant officer to come after you or marking you tardy in a permanent record?  (I mean I always thought those permanent records were fake and a bluff.  I never heard of anyone having one from Canada.) 

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2021, 03:36:40 pm »
I got warned I'd get it the next time.  I didn't get it.  I came close a couple of times.  Though I did grabbed by the arm and dragged down to the principal's office and grabbed by the ear too.  I did get the stick by parents and family and even a couple of adults in church a couple of times as a kid.  It was never anything too severe compared to what I heard many kids or even worse, my grandparents generation went through.  But I do definitely know shortly after that the strap was never offered again.  I heard sometime it was illegal.  I know high schools never gave it out.  Some of the students there might have hit back anyways?  Who knows? 

Speaking of my grandparents above.  I had one set that were really old.  My grandpa born in the 1910's and was a student in the 1920's.  Him and some friends went to a country one room school house.  They put a bullet in the stove and when the teacher lit the fire it went kabang firing and clanging in the stove and pipe for a long time.  The teacher beat them good as my grandfather told me.  Some tough old broad with a huge stick.  Arms hands, legs, butt, etc.  My grandfather told me he hid his hands from his mother and didn't dare show her.  Funny story good prank.  Beating not so much.  I never got corporal punishment like that.  I never got it in school though I came close. 

I went to Catholic school until I was in grade 10 and they had no problem using corporal punishment.  Those cream puffs in the public school system had it pretty easy.  When I moved to public school in grade 11 those students had never been cracked across the head by a teacher in their coddled lives. 

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2021, 06:39:34 pm »
I went to Catholic school until I was in grade 10 and they had no problem using corporal punishment.  Those cream puffs in the public school system had it pretty easy.  When I moved to public school in grade 11 those students had never been cracked across the head by a teacher in their coddled lives. 

Yeah, I went to a non-Catholic Christian school as well and they didn't hesitate to introduce your knuckles to rulers or ass to a paddle.  I only got paddled once there and it was more symbolic than anything.

At home....forget about it.  My dad used to keep a dowel rod on top of the door frame and didn't hesitate to put me in my place.  As I got older the rod would be too thin and break and he would take me out to Home Depot and pick out the next size up in the box and sometimes even whack me with it (mostly in jest I think) to make sure it wouldn't break.   They claim to have spanked me out of love and never anger, but I know for a fact there was a couple times my mom was angry, lol.  Could never tell with my dad though, he was pretty stoic.

Speaking of Christian school, Good God that was a strange time.  I was so excited as a 1st grader.  My mom got me a superman raincoat and I couldn't wait for it to rain so I could wear it.  The first day of rain (happened to be the second day of school) I wore it.  I was smiling ear to ear.  Walked into the school and the teacher right away made me take it off.  Then she proceeded to cover up Superman with packing tape while explaining to me that only God had superpowers.  WTF!

Then, 2nd grade I forgot my lunch and the teacher said, oh well, guess you can go to the gym and fast with the 10th graders.  So there I was, sitting in a group with a bunch of way older kids who were fasting, acting like I was fasting, lol.

PS: Maybe I've turned this into my first WTF moments in life, lol.