Read 5770 times

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
Re: The first wtf moment you had in Korea?
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2021, 07:42:10 am »
In other parts of the world where they drive on the left side of the road, turning right on a red light doesn't work out so well. There are exceptions though such as when you have already encroached into intersection while waiting on a green that changes to red as in the picture below.

When I bought a car in Korea it wasn't too much of an adjustment really. It was more a problem coming back home when there were very few cars on the road and not being able to play follow the leader. ;D
lol.. ok wise guy. So in your country you can't turn left on a red? Turning onto a perpendicular road without crossing traffic during a red light.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2021, 07:49:35 am »
lol.. ok wise guy. So in your country you can't turn left on a red? Turning onto a perpendicular road without crossing traffic during a red light.

Not such an issue turning left dude! As long as you avoid the traffic coming from the right it's all good.  :angel:

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2021, 07:55:32 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_on_red

Of the nations, most likely, represented on this board, it looks like New Zealand, Ireland and the UK don't allow turns on red. And Australia allows a turn on red if there is a sign permitting it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:03:19 am by D.L.Orean »

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2021, 08:00:19 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_on_red

Of the nations, most likely, represented on this board, it looks like New Zealand, Ireland and the UK don't allow turns on red. Ans Australia allows a turn on red if there is a sign permitting it.

Yeah it looks like this .

I tend to just turn anyway with or without a sign as long as there aren't any cops around. There is often a special little lane though.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:02:04 am by Adel »

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2021, 08:32:23 am »
Got fed bondeggi by an ajumma at a pochang place a few days in. It came as banchan with my order and I think she thought I didn't know what to do with it or something. Or maybe she just wanted to have some fun with the foreigner. So she grabbed my chopsticks, picked up a larvae, told me to open my mouth and gently deposited it on my tongue.

Not long after... A young mother and her daughter, who looked maybe 3 or 4, were about to cross a busy road but the green man was flashing so the mother halted. The little girl said something like, "Let's run!". The mom stayed behind but nudged her daughter out into the road, laughing and cheering as she raced to beat the light, motorbikes zipping around her and cars inching forward the whole time. Keep in mind that he was barely taller than the average car's front bumper.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2021, 08:42:34 am »
Got fed bondeggi by an ajumma at a pochang place a few days in. It came as banchan with my order and I think she thought I didn't know what to do with it or something. Or maybe she just wanted to have some fun with the foreigner. So she grabbed my chopsticks, picked up a larvae, told me to open my mouth and gently deposited it on my tongue.

Not long after... A young mother and her daughter, who looked maybe 3 or 4, were about to cross a busy road but the green man was flashing so the mother halted. The little girl said something like, "Let's run!". The mom stayed behind but nudged her daughter out into the road, laughing and cheering as she raced to beat the light, motorbikes zipping around her and cars inching forward the whole time. Keep in mind that he was barely taller than the average car's front bumper.

Was the WTF moment in the second part where the daughter started to identify as a boy midway through the intersection? 

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2021, 08:52:11 am »
 :laugh: That was definitely a factor in my surprise.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:50:48 pm by fka »

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2021, 10:35:12 am »
I had done a lot of traveling prior to going to Korea. I had also grown up in Europe traveling around. I read "Culture Shock: Korea" on the flight over so I was as prepared as I could be. I was in my mid-40's also, which helped.

My first WTF moment never left. It was being stared at. I hate that. Little kids I get, but 60 year old people staring at me like I was a prop that just fell off the stage at a KISS concert was, and is, seriously aggravating.

• nightninja
  • Expert Waygook

• April 02, 2018, 03:20:32 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2021, 10:43:22 am »
I had done a lot of traveling prior to going to Korea. I had also grown up in Europe traveling around. I read "Culture Shock: Korea" on the flight over so I was as prepared as I could be. I was in my mid-40's also, which helped.

My first WTF moment never left. It was being stared at. I hate that. Little kids I get, but 60 year old people staring at me like I was a prop that just fell off the stage at a KISS concert was, and is, seriously aggravating.

yeah, I hate that....also when I hear the word foreigner come out of a little tiny kids mouth.....like why do such little kids need to know that word ...had a little kid at my taekwondo academy refuse to walk near me.....

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2021, 11:00:27 am »
yeah, I hate that....also when I hear the word foreigner come out of a little tiny kids mouth.....like why do such little kids need to know that word ...had a little kid at my taekwondo academy refuse to walk near me.....

At 4yrs old, I probably wasn't even cognizant of the idea of a foreigner. What peeves me is that you'll be waiting at the bank, the kid will be looking directly at you, discussing your appearance with his mother who will likewise
stare at you and reaffirm stereotypes to her child. You'll give them an annoyed look and they'll keep staring and gossiping.

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2021, 11:07:35 am »

Agree! It gets up your nose after the 100th time.

Same goes with the old "my children are scared of foreigners" routine. Again, I can't count how many times I've heard this over the years (ok, probably true back in the day), especially when mothers come for a placement test. The last 15 years though...?

This, while not my first, has always been a WTF moment.

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2021, 11:34:41 am »
At 4yrs old, I probably wasn't even cognizant of the idea of a foreigner. What peeves me is that you'll be waiting at the bank, the kid will be looking directly at you, discussing your appearance with his mother who will likewise
stare at you and reaffirm stereotypes to her child. You'll give them an annoyed look and they'll keep staring and gossiping.

Hahaha! Your post reminded me of something that happened about 2 years ago.

I was in Paris Baguette, and a woman and her boy (about 4 years old) walked in. He looked at me and started
yelling "mom, a fat person", over and over again. Wouldn't stop! The woman didn't know where to look and started gigling. He was just a kid, but...
She left wthout buying anything (with the kid still pointing at me through the closed door). The P.B owner was mortified and I was pretty embarrased. Geez, I'm not that fat.

# edited so the grammar person wouldn't tell me off. ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 12:12:01 pm by Kurt Sorensen »

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2021, 02:41:01 pm »
Is natural gas piped into the home a benchmark for the 1st world? Because large parts of Japan, and the US, don't have gas piped into houses.

Yeah, I thought this was a strange comment as well.  They aren't going to run natural gas lines everywhere.  It's impractical.

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2021, 02:41:56 pm »
The first time a random guy approached me on the street and literally tried to pull me in the direction of a motel with him. That was in my first week in Korea. I was walking to the nearby supermarket.

Honorable mentions:
* The first time a cult member approached me. He kept trying to get me to go into an alley where he claimed was a nice cafe so that he could sit down and discuss his church with me. He was incredibly insistent, wouldn't let me leave (like he would step out in my way, at one point he even very angrily grabbed my arm), and I had to literally yell in his face to get a bunch of people looking at us before he would leave me alone. I later learned that this was unusual, cult members sent out to recruit here are typically friendly looking females who often work in pairs. So, maybe he was in a cult , maybe he wasn't. Either way, consider me unlucky.
* That time when I was walking home after making sure a friend made it to a bus stop, and I got stopped by this guy who wanted to shake my hand. I refused but then he grabbed my hand anyway and started to squeeze my arm in different places, as if he were squeezing a fruit to see how ripe it was. It was so ****** weird. I think he was trying to determine my "fat level" because I was wearing a heavy coat at the time.
* The first time I got flashed. It took me a second to realize what I was looking at, lmao.
* That time I watched a slow-speed police chase (this might have been a year or so in, actually, but it's blended right in with everything else).
* The first time I had to purchase a standing ticket for the KTX, I managed to get myself one of those seats in the luggage area. There were a few others, too, and one man decided to sit against the wall to the left of me, over by the door. Nothing unusual at first, I sat reading my book for about an hour when all of a sudden I feel something stroke my thigh. I look up to see this guy pretending to do these weird stretches so that he could "accidentally" stroke me with his fingers. When we made eye contact, he smiled and took that as permission to strike up a conversation with me. It took him only about a minute to ask, "Do you live alone?" NOTE: I was never friendly with this guy at any point, I did not humor him in any kind of way. He just chose to ignore my cues and didn't seem embarrassed at all that people were watching us. 
* That time when a gangster tried to hit on me and then stormed off without a word when my friend came back from the bathroom (friend was black, and this seemed to offend him).
* The first time I was followed. It was a group of college-aged guys, and they were cartoonishly bad at it. When I yelled at them, they ran off laughing. I think it was a game to them.
* That time when I waited outside a store for a friend, and some dude walks up and starts peeing on the wall right next to me. He saw me there. He didn't care.
* That time when an ajumma appeared out of nowhere, rammed a kimbab tube into my hand, and left without saying a word.
* That time when a random dude ran up on my friend and I, gave each of us a flower, then ran away. I think he was giving away flowers to a bunch of women that day, it may have been part of a promotion or something. I don't ****** know.
* That time when one of those buddhist con-men tried to get me to take a bracelet, got mad at me when I refused to put any money in this box that he was carrying, then threw a bunch of torn up paper at me before leaving.

All of this happened within the first three months of my time here. And this isn't everything, haha.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 04:12:24 pm by Chinguetti »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2021, 03:01:49 pm »
Arrived at Incheon at 7 pm on a Monday having left South Africa on the Saturday at 4 pm, had a 21 hour layover in Dubai so needless to say I didn't sleep a wink. Can't sleep on an airplane. Serious lack of sleep and jet lag. Met by the driver of the hiring company who then took me to my apartment in Gangnam. He was completely deranged and I thought I was going to die before I had even taught one class in Korea. He had a complete death wish as far as driving was concerned.

Arrived at my apartment and had to lug all my cases etc up to the 2nd floor myself (no elevator) while the driver disappeared into the sunset.  In my apartment was my co-teacher who had a serious heart attack when I walked into the apartment with my shoes on.

Not the best start to my time in Korea.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• AvecPommesFrites
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2017, 02:19:33 pm
    • Incheon International Airport Immigration Office Detention Facility
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2021, 03:24:15 pm »
Standing at an intersection waiting to cross the road... a man vigorously pats me on the arm and asks "are you Russian?"

Me: Nyet.

Him:  :undecided:
Soggy undergarments

• dandred
  • Super Waygook

• March 28, 2012, 11:24:32 am
    • Bucheon
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2021, 03:46:38 pm »
I got taken for dog soup after my first two week here back in 2005. The dog's skin was in the soup. After the meal, the boss's wife and the two female teachers went home, the boss asked if I wanted to go to a brothel with him.

No thanks.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 06:04:09 am by dandred »
20 years teaching experience. CELTA, DELTA, MA TESOL, PhD slave  / on hold. Thank you.

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2021, 04:11:13 pm »
You do realize there are more people and greater GDP (so, jobs!) in states with strict gun control (like California, NY state) than the population of South Africa, South Korea, France, Italy and Canada (where you can get rifles and shotguns easily for "hunting").

I am not American but the Texas meme of guys carrying handguns on the street gets tiring. I have been to 12 U.S. states and have never seen a handgun outside of a shop or a cop's holster.

To be fair, that's because most states that allow you to carry a gun are concealed carry states.  There are very few open carry.  I was a probation officer in NY and had to carry a firearm, but as a probation officer we were only allowed concealed carry.  So when I went to my part-time job at night I always kept my holstered gun on and the few times people saw it  they did a double take.  But most people realize that those with permits carry them in a holster.  If it had been tucked in my actual waste band then somebody might say something.

In Texas I guarantee you there were quite a few folks carrying walking around and you just wouldn't have known.  Depends on the places you were as a lot of large public gathering places (stadiums, bars, etc) don't allow concealed carry.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2021, 04:57:19 pm »
To be fair, that's because most states that allow you to carry a gun are concealed carry states.  There are very few open carry.  I was a probation officer in NY and had to carry a firearm, but as a probation officer we were only allowed concealed carry.  So when I went to my part-time job at night I always kept my holstered gun on and the few times people saw it  they did a double take.  But most people realize that those with permits carry them in a holster.  If it had been tucked in my actual waste band then somebody might say something.

In Texas I guarantee you there were quite a few folks carrying walking around and you just wouldn't have known.  Depends on the places you were as a lot of large public gathering places (stadiums, bars, etc) don't allow concealed carry.
Ah, I see. Thanks for that.