Read 1180 times

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
COVID19 infections nearest you!
« on: August 25, 2021, 05:01:01 pm »
Any family, friends, coworkers or students of yours gotten the coronavirus?

Yesterday some middle school girl in the math academy on the floor below the English academy I'm at tested positive and the whole building was shut down today, classes canceled, I asked to get a PCR test stat and have just now returned from getting the up-the-left nostril skull jab, with a small headache as a result in my left temple, it tender to the touch - though all the dull aching was gone by the time I walked the eight blocks back home.

This town of about 50,000 was having only 4 to 7 new cases a day this summer but this week the numbers went up to 20 a day, including two students.

I hope this hagwon shutdown is just for today, not for months like early 2020. *crossed fingers*

Re: COVID19 infections nearest you!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 05:16:22 pm »
So far so good. Some of my students have been tested because of a student testing positive in another hagwon, but not in their class. My wife the same with her library job, but not direct contact with the infected. I'm kind of just waiting for the day it happens in my place of study, and not in a good way.

Good luck to you! I hope all goes well.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 05:20:26 pm by Kurt Sorensen »

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 06:58:21 pm »
I had 4 close calls. Three times through work.
Had 2 PCR tests done. I wasn't a direct contact so it was not mandatory. The other two occasions, I self quarantined for a day to wait for the test results of my contacts.
Back home, my( mom), (brother, SIL), (cousin and her husband) had it. The brackets are there to separate the unrelated cases. My mom had no symptoms whatsoever and the others had medium-severe cold symptoms.

Perhaps I had it too in the early days. We had a couple over for dinner in mid. January, 2020. The husband had just returned from China a few days before that. He had a fever so they weren't even sure if they can make it. Got a little better so they came. A day or two later both my wife and I came down with a stomach bug kind of thing. Didn't give it much thought untill a few weeks later this whole thing was unfolding. We will never know whether that was it or not.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 04:29:48 am »
Where I live must be one of the few places left on earth with zero positive Covid 19 cases at present. The last cluster must have been over a month ago when the entire state went into a complete lock down for a week within hours of the first positive cases being detected.  My local supermarket and hardware store were a couple of the sites which positive cases had been linked to by the Q-code contact tracing ap we all have on our phones and must use whenever we go into a public place or use public transport. Fortunately that cluster didn't get out of control and we got back to zero community spread within a week. We now have very heavy police security on the two borders of states with highest population and where virus is spreading rapidly despite lockdowns. It's just a matter of time before it reaches this state so it's a battle against time to get as many people vaccinated as possible before it arrives.  Incidentally the complete lack of Covid cases in my state has absolutely nothing to do with levels of obesity.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 04:31:47 am by Adel »

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 07:37:39 am »
My uncle and all 3 of my siblings got it, in unrelated cases (none of them live together, or had met up near the time of their infections). All in the US though - South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, California. They all had flu-like symptoms, and my sister ended up in the hospital once or twice due to difficulty breathing (she already has asthma). All recovered fine though, as far as I know.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 10:07:06 am »
Currently in lockdown here in New Zealand, 1 case a week ago has turned into 200.

Where I live must be one of the few places left on earth with zero positive Covid 19 cases at present.

Sure if you ignore the millions of Australians in lockdown because of delta.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 11:03:47 am »
Currently in lockdown here in New Zealand, 1 case a week ago has turned into 200.

Sure if you ignore the millions of Australians in lockdown because of delta.
You'll note that I subsequently mentioned the state in which I resided had zero active cases. This pandemic has highlighted the fact that Australia is a federation of six different states and a couple of territories . The Covid situation is very different in each of these states as our constitution places the responsibility for the control of state borders and the delivery of health care services to the state governments. It's starting to open up divisions between the states and highlight the impotence of the Federal government in situations such as this.     

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 11:15:25 am »
My town hasn't had too many infections. Every once in a while I'll get a notification about someone testing positive and having ridden such-and-such bus at such-and-such time, or hear about a student who had to go into quarantine because they may have been exposed, but no one near or around me has ever tested positive. My mom and brother have stayed relatively safe in the States, too. They both currently live in small towns, and the mayors of both have taken the pandemic seriously. I was never really worried about my brother, but my mom has had a hard life, and her body really can't handle much anymore, so I was constantly worried about her before she finally got vaccinated. They're both doing fine right now, and my brother only knows of one person who caught covid. That guy had to be hospitalized overnight because he couldn't breathe, but he was stable enough after about 24 hours that he could go home. He didn't experience any complications after that, but apparently he didn't feel normal again for at least a couple of months after he was given the all clear (like he'd become fatigued or tired very quickly and easily).

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 11:15:56 am »

[/quote]
The Covid situation is very different in each of these states as our constitution places the responsibility for the control of state borders and the delivery of health care services to the state governments.     

Just as long as the NRL Grand Final can go ahead. I'd go into a mental health decline if it was cancelled or postponed.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 11:18:56 am by Kurt Sorensen »

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 11:24:36 am »

Just as long as the NRL Grand Final can go ahead. I'd go into a mental health decline if it was cancelled or postponed.

Don't really follow the NRL so I don't know. Queensland doesn't look too bad so I guess they'll just move it there.  The AFL grand final probably won't be played in Melbourne for a second successive year though. Will probably be in Perth this year.

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2021, 11:31:28 am »
Yeah, it will be in Queensland (if nothing more happens), as all teams are in a bubble there now.
Moving G.F.s around is a good thing occassionally.

BTW, I don't follow AFL, but do glance at it, as I have a number of games each weekend on one of my T.V channels. ABC, I think it is. It's good to have an Aussie channel on hand.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2021, 02:12:08 pm »
No immediate family impacted. They mostly live in Canadian provinces with good management and high vaccine uptake). It is similar to Australia with some jurisdictions doing better than others.

My main client contact at work was out with it for a month, but we mostly talk in the phone, so he wasn’t a “close contact”.