Read 4974 times

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: I agree with Biden and the Afghan pullout.
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2021, 01:45:53 pm »
The "Ah, yes," tell for misstating someone's position.
This is called reciprocity- it matches the tone of the person. It also means he is willing to let go of an insult, rivalry, or grudge.

Are you saying that is a bad thing?
Yes, when engaging in MILITARY confrontation or near-violent power struggles against a hostile party, unpredictability is often an asset if your goal is to prevent conflict.

Neville Chamberlain was a moral man. Stalin was a brute. One enabled the Nazis, the other enabled them, then annihilated  them.  Jimmy Carter was nice. So was Herbert Hoover. FDR was a quasi-dictator who violated the Civil Rights of hundreds of thousands of Americans. JFK sexually harassed women and navigated a nuclear crisis in part because he knew to keep people like Dean Acheson and LeMay in his pocket to scare the Soviets while using go-betweens to negotiate. Lincoln would speak lofty words and then let people like Benjamin Butler do what they pleased and would have no problem appointing a "liar and a braggart" like John Pope to lead his army. Nixon was a scumbag who gave us the EPA, brought China into the global system, the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, Expansion of Social Security and Medicare, OSHA, Consumer Protection, 18 years for voting age, etc. and he was a lying, racist, scumbag.

Other rulers have been benevolent and kind and ended up with their heads on pikes, their family tortured and mutilated and their citizens raped and murdered. George W. Bush meant well and blundered us into Iraq. Obama said pretty words and waged war across the Middle East.

Where exactly is this great morality you claim?

Oh, did Snookums not like being called out for his TDS?

« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2021, 01:49:34 pm »
I accept your insult and lack of discussion of the nuances of realpolitik and what constitutes successful leadership and examination of historical leaders and their character and accomplishments as an admission of your defeat.

Thank you for your concession.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2021, 02:51:43 pm »

He got triggered.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2021, 02:52:30 pm »
Too early to tell.  The new resistance or "Northern Alliance"?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvAvnlKVmCY

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2021, 07:00:10 pm »
I prefer a steady hand on the tiller rather than someone who "often" changes course willy-nilly.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2021, 07:35:35 pm »
I accept your insult and lack of discussion of the nuances of realpolitik and what constitutes successful leadership and examination of historical leaders and their character and accomplishments as an admission of your defeat.

Thank you for your concession.

There, there, Snookums.   Please feel free to bang on a keyboard to make you feel better, baby-waby. 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2021, 11:48:53 pm »
Look, I will invade your country, have superior firepower on patrol, control things by force for a decade or so, then quickly exit your country.

What should you then do? Um,... um,...

(BLANK...  I should be surprised?)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 11:51:09 pm by VanIslander »

« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2021, 12:11:24 am »
Yes, when engaging in MILITARY confrontation or near-violent power struggles against a hostile party, unpredictability is often an asset if your goal is to prevent conflict.

Neville Chamberlain was a moral man. Stalin was a brute. One enabled the Nazis, the other enabled them, then annihilated  them.  Jimmy Carter was nice. So was Herbert Hoover. FDR was a quasi-dictator who violated the Civil Rights of hundreds of thousands of Americans. JFK sexually harassed women and navigated a nuclear crisis in part because he knew to keep people like Dean Acheson and LeMay in his pocket to scare the Soviets while using go-betweens to negotiate. Lincoln would speak lofty words and then let people like Benjamin Butler do what they pleased and would have no problem appointing a "liar and a braggart" like John Pope to lead his army. Nixon was a scumbag who gave us the EPA, brought China into the global system, the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, Expansion of Social Security and Medicare, OSHA, Consumer Protection, 18 years for voting age, etc. and he was a lying, racist, scumbag.

Other rulers have been benevolent and kind and ended up with their heads on pikes, their family tortured and mutilated and their citizens raped and murdered. George W. Bush meant well and blundered us into Iraq. Obama said pretty words and waged war across the Middle East.

There, there, Snookums.   Please feel free to bang on a keyboard to make you feel better, baby-waby. 

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2021, 12:31:19 am »

Sowwy, Snookums, did I make you realize your Cheeto-in-chief is a baby-waby like you who can't defend his complete lack of competence in any awea of life? 

Keep banging on your keyboard, baby-waby. 

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2021, 07:13:06 am »
well this took a weird turn...
more gg more skill

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2021, 07:49:25 am »
well this took a weird turn...

i hope you have your therapist on speed-dial

« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2021, 10:43:29 am »
This is called reciprocity- it matches the tone of the person. It also means he is willing to let go of an insult, rivalry, or grudge.

Sowwy, Snookums, did I make you realize your Cheeto-in-chief is a baby-waby like you who can't defend his complete lack of competence in any awea of life? 

Ladies and gentleman, a grown man, over the age of 50, who teaches children and has a university-level education.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2021, 10:47:25 am »
Ladies and gentleman, a grown man, over the age of 50, who teaches children and has a university-level education.

And is sick and tired of your sniveling, Trump-defending BS, Snookums.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2021, 10:58:48 am »
surely something in this interaction is grounds for some kind of moderation?

« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2021, 11:02:32 am »
surely something in this interaction is grounds for some kind of moderation?

This aint fb 

:D
:D

« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2021, 11:10:00 am »

And is sick and tired of your sniveling, Trump-defending BS, Snookums.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 12:10:30 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2021, 12:34:16 pm »
Pulling out of Afghanistan was the only viable solution. However, Biden not only flat out lied, he did everything the wrong way. He's an idiot, probably losing control of his faculties and clearly not presidential material. The fact he was the best the democrats could come up with and he barely beat Trump says a lot. Especially after that Hillary debacle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKlgHe5ieHc

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2021, 01:20:56 pm »
Apparently when Biden took over, the payments to the police and other Afggan officials stopped.   So, many folks were going hungry and hadn't been properly paid in months.  The Taliban had money put away and offered to pay people if they stood down.  I can't share the source and the mainstream media won't report on anything that makes Saint Biden look bad.  I guess the truth will come out one day. 

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2021, 01:24:26 pm »
Yep, it's called the China way. Take over with serious investment in infrastructure and buying everything you can possibly buy, especially mineral and mining rights. Slap up a small airport and container port you swear are for commercial purposes for the icing on the cake.

It works. Bombs don't. You cannot bomb an ideology out of existence. You can buy your way in.

I would say it's called the American Way.  If you read Confessions of an Economic Hitman the states mastered that route of encouraging countries they were friendly with to take out huge loans they knew they couldn't possibly keep up with for some mega projects.  Then, when they inevitably fell behind the World (U.S.) Bank would leverage the governments so they'd have undue influence on the country.  China seemed to have learned from them and have been applying that technique to poorer African countries. 

The other American way, which we saw in Afghanistan, is how they deal with the countries they can't leverage in the above way.

On a side note, the Biden Administration did look for the advice of the political generals who are just yes men.  Biden chose the symbolic exit date of September 11th for a P.R. move, rather than a strategic move.  Those generals backed his decision. Smart  strategy would've suggested they start the withdraw outside of the Taliban's fighting season, which is summer.  They tend to go back to their tribal lands in the winter and wouldn't have been poised to make such a sweep then.  But, Biden liked September 11th and those that knew better were ignored and you have the totally predictable debacle you see now.  Lots of finger pointing all round now. 

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2021, 01:37:39 pm »
I would say it's called the American Way.  If you read Confessions of an Economic Hitman the states mastered that route of encouraging countries they were friendly with to take out huge loans they knew they couldn't possibly keep up with for some mega projects.  Then, when they inevitably fell behind the World (U.S.) Bank would leverage the governments so they'd have undue influence on the country.  China seemed to have learned from them and have been applying that technique to poorer African countries. 

The other American way, which we saw in Afghanistan, is how they deal with the countries they can't leverage in the above way.

On a side note, the Biden Administration did look for the advice of the political generals who are just yes men.  Biden chose the symbolic exit date of September 11th for a P.R. move, rather than a strategic move.  Those generals backed his decision. Smart  strategy would've suggested they start the withdraw outside of the Taliban's fighting season, which is summer.  They tend to go back to their tribal lands in the winter and wouldn't have been poised to make such a sweep then.  But, Biden liked September 11th and those that knew better were ignored and you have the totally predictable debacle you see now.  Lots of finger pointing all round now. 

Thanks for the tip. I just downloaded that book and The New Confessions of an Economic Hitman. I'll give them a read.