Read 1586 times

3.7 making toilet paper
« on: August 14, 2021, 06:51:15 pm »
Wonít be long before most NETs get a raise, when they have to match minimum wage.

Here is a job making toilet paper for 3.7 a month with housing and meals.
Admittedly long hours though.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: 3.7 making toilet paper
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 07:05:26 pm »
I made 3.1 mill working 3pm-930pm m-f plus 3 hours 9am-noon Saturday. For seven years on Jeju Island.

i eventually walked away from it.

There's more to life....

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 10:32:00 pm »
I just don't understand these postings.

This is a completely $hi+ job living in a dorm ("housing"--really??) with  6 X12 hour days in a stinky-as-f paper factory with no air con or heating,  0 vacation and they pay  "retirement" only after one year? 

Also, any visa?  Really? 

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 12:44:03 pm »
I made 3.1 mill working 3pm-930pm m-f plus 3 hours 9am-noon Saturday. For seven years on Jeju Island.

i eventually walked away from it.

There's more to life....

One time when you made a post like this another poster linked to your own post where you complained about how you were forced out of that job and given the boot because your female colleague wanted her American boyfriend to have your job and your school complied.  Why are now changing the story to you walking away from the job? 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 02:03:58 pm »
Technically, the new teacher was taking away my overtime classes, meaning my 3.1 mil would reduce to 2.45 mil. Worse, I would no longer teach the one-on-one high schooler I taught for 5 years as well as lose my second fav middle school class.

So I said f that and walked away.

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 03:21:45 pm »
Technically, the new teacher was taking away my overtime classes, meaning my 3.1 mil would reduce to 2.45 mil. Worse, I would no longer teach the one-on-one high schooler I taught for 5 years as well as lose my second fav middle school class.

So I said f that and walked away.

Hmmm...

Anyways,... I was non-renewed for the first time ever in April of this year (hence why I left Seogwipo, Jeju Island), and it came at a shock. The director had bought the hagwon while I was etaching there and trusted a local teacher who married a very lazy American hang-loose surfer guy and the director seemed to want to support them and they didn't like my 2-hour daily prep, biz-hustle attitude, start class within 5 minutes of start time commitment. After seven years at that hagwon, I was not renewed for an eighth year, and that couple could barely contain their excitement. Yay! they ghet to show up 30 minutes before class and chitchat and don't prepare and walk to the photocopier during class and not feel like they are doing anything wrong. The place is going to pot.

So, to recap: I was re-signed 14 times and not re-signed 1 time because the new director/owner was buddy with a Korean-American couple tandem who thought teaching was opening at page 1 on whatever day they got around to it and ending on whatever day they got around to it, and not bother reviewing anything or doing anything extra, and getting onto the next book (and liked Let's Go!).

Uggh.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 03:33:50 pm »
Well, my argument over losing the high schooler (#1 in his school, economist-to-be, longtime student of mine) and the highest-level middle school class) was A FACTOR. I refused to accept losing them and demanded i keep them. The director decided otherwise. And i thought it unjust, he influenced by the romantic relationship between teachers.

The director thought i would be agreeable as usual and when i pushed back he balked. I walked away surprised but eventually relieved.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 05:08:03 pm by VanIslander »

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 08:01:54 pm »
Hmmm...

Glad you threw the real story up there.  Donít know why people need to make stuff up on an anonymous website.  Van, you donít have to fudge the truth on here. I had a school not want me to stick around. It happens. 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 08:21:31 pm »
I vented initially - back in 2017 - WITHOUT details about the content of the argument. I cited the macro and just hinted at the micro. Reality is messy.

To wit, there's no need to lie (nor to imply such). I said i walked away. I didn't say i quit. I could easily have resigned for an 8th year if i didn't object to classes starting 15 minutes late, students starting to not give a f, and the new surfer dude teacher taking my best classes because his bossy girlfriend was all up the new owner/director's ear. The new boss was young, funded by his parents, and didn't speak English much, but bought an English academy.

I exhaled and smiled when i left there.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 08:41:38 pm by VanIslander »

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 12:54:37 pm »

I exhaled and smiled when i left there.

But in your own words above you were ďshocked.Ē   Anyways, you want to revise things now and pretend it was your choice and you left on your terms rather than getting squeezed out.  Ok, I get it.  But, you should probably stop bringing it up and talking about how you decided it was time to move on of your own volition like youíre some modern day Littlest Hobo if you donít want people reminding you of how it really went down. Try to be less patronizing on here is what Iím getting at.  It goes a long way. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 11:49:13 am »
Wonít be long before most NETs get a raise, when they have to match minimum wage.

Here is a job making toilet paper for 3.7 a month with housing and meals.
Admittedly long hours though.

I had a job in a toilet paper factory for part of the summer in my hometown.  It was 12 hour shifts.  The toilet paper and tissues were already pre made elsewhere.  We mostly just did the packaging and the toilet paper rolls.  I was happy to get another job.  That said, if the pay were more, I would have stuck with it and continued for the rest of the summer until school started up again.  I'll work hard for pay.  But low pay, get lost. 

I could do it if I had to.  If they paid me 4.5 million a month or more.  But summer heat is the one issue I'd have a weakness with.  Maybe I'd do for 6 months over the winter if I could legally do it. 

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 01:16:42 am »

I could do it if I had to. 
I'm taking what they're giving because I'm working for a living.

I wish Huey Lewis could get his hearing problems sorted.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2021, 01:54:33 am »
Factory work can be tough.

For example,...

In uni in Alberta I knew a guy who worked in a pig slaughterhouse and he said the pay was DOUBLE for those who killed the hogs with the electrical prods and that many new workers jumped at the chance, few lasted past two weeks and one of the two who made it past a year committed suicide. ... Cutting up a dead carcas is much less stressful it seems than taking the life itself.

I still eat meat, three or four times a month, but ain't comfortable about it anymore!

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2021, 03:44:12 am »

For example,...

In uni in Alberta I knew a guy who worked in a pig slaughterhouse and he said the pay was DOUBLE for those who killed the hogs with the electrical prods and that many new workers jumped at the chance, few lasted past two weeks and one of the two who made it past a year committed suicide. ... Cutting up a dead carcas is much less stressful it seems than taking the life itself.

I still eat meat, three or four times a month, but ain't comfortable about it anymore!
Supposedly the guys working in rendering plants get so used to it that they eat their lunches sitting on the dead carcasses outside the plant.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2021, 07:35:13 am »

For example,...

I use to hear some guys who worked on the kill floor at Maple Leaf Foods in my hometown use to be a bit physco.  But one of the McCain brothers (McCain foods) took it over and turned it into a crappy place to work and eventually shut it down.  So, maybe they are crazy somewhere's else. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2021, 07:36:58 am »
I just don't understand these postings.

This is a completely $hi+ job living in a dorm ("housing"--really??) with  6 X12 hour days in a stinky-as-f paper factory with no air con or heating,  0 vacation and they pay  "retirement" only after one year? 

Also, any visa?  Really? 

I remember 11 or 12 plus years ago, these same jobs paid 1.3 or 1.4 million won a month. 

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2021, 07:52:54 am »

For example,...

i knew a guy in college who did the same work and made decent money. hated every minute of it but afaik he made it out fine for the most part. definitely not something id suggest anybody push themselves to do anyways ofc

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2021, 12:37:00 pm »
I dunno, watching those videos of feral hogs getting taken out (by helicopter, by trap n shoot, by .300Winchester, by helicopter, by Tannerite, etc.), seems like it wouldn't be that bad. Then again, after your crops keep getting destroyed, your sympathy goes down the tube as opposed to say, ol happy Wilbur just trottin around and then you zap/shoot him...

I imagine cattle are easier than hogs. Cattle barely react to getting shot or anyone around them getting shot. You can shoot a cow square in the head and drop em and the others will barely flinch. My friend on his family's cattle farm would just shoot em in the head and it wasn't a big deal. Hogs on the other hand will scatter and squeal in terror. You shoot a hog and it squeals in pain and horror. Cattle tend to more just reflexively thrash and maybe bellow a little. I think goats would be kind of hard too. They have personality. Lambs would be hard. Sheep on the other hand are often just assholes.

Then again, growing up I wasn't there for my parents rabbit farming and barely there for them butchering sheep, but I was there for the annual Thanksgiving turkey kill on my dad's friend's farm. Not really any thought goes through cutting turkey heads and necks off.

It is something that you might get tired of after you've made your money. Sort of "And after that day I vowed never to kill again" sort of thing. That and the whole factory process is probably wearying on the soul.
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2021, 01:03:27 pm »
Then again, growing up I wasn't there for my parents rabbit farming and barely there for them butchering sheep, but I was there for the annual Thanksgiving turkey kill on my dad's friend's farm. Not really any thought goes through cutting turkey heads and necks off.
Wow, your parents are pretty versatile. Librarian, pilot, rabbit farming, sheep butchers. What will be your next former job reveal?

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2021, 01:10:18 pm »
Wow, your parents are pretty versatile. Librarian, pilot, rabbit farming, sheep butchers. What will be your next former job reveal?
They were both private pilots who had a homebuilt airplane. My mother was a librarian for the public schools, my father had his own company. They lived on a hobby farm outside of the city limits.

In a far-sighted decision that captured the pulse of the people, my parents decided that the best animals to raise, unlike the previous owners who had raised hogs and horses, would to instead be rabbits, goats, and sheep. After all, Americans had a soaring interest in eating cute and cuddly animals and drinking goat's milk. Of course pigs and horses, no one is into those.

Shockingly, the farm essentially turned into no rabbits, no sheep, and 4 pet goats and three pet geese.

But yes, my parents are into a wide variety of things and various ventures. My dad also was part of the historic Michigan Theater restoration, they were both part of the Detroit Theater Organ Society and worked to restore theater organs, they were also part of the University of Michigan Gilbert & Sullivan Association and a bunch of other things.

Some people seem to think this is all "so much in can't be true", but it isn't really. Switch airplanes with golf. Hobby farm with restoring cars or whatever, etc. and it's basically all the same.

That being said, at the time I didn't really appreciate it. I mean, I just wanted to watch cartoons and play computer games and I thought it lame my parents weren't into sports. Only now looking back do I start to realize how uncommon my upbringing was in some respects and how lucky I was.

This is especially the case with other adoptees. Some got adopted into less than stellar circumstances and boy. do they have serious issues. Me? Serious issues according to everyone here and I'm sure my posts could be a gold mine, but overall I'm happy with both my parents, they have a loving relationship that's stable, no financial catastrophes, no divorces, no abuse, stable jobs, stable upbringing. Grew up in an amazing city that was diverse enough to not feel isolated.

Anyways, back on Dave's Captain Corea thought everything about my family and my upbringing was BS. I friended him on facebook and let him have a look. He didn't say that afterwards.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 01:42:48 pm by Mr.DeMartino »
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!