Read 10332 times

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
Re: What COVID death rate are you willing to accept for normal life?
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2021, 05:17:52 am »
I didn't blatantly misrepresent your position.  That's your SOP, not mine.

In Marti's defence you need to understand that, as a student of his hypnotist & comic strip writer, Scott Adams, when he claims you have misrepresented him it is not so much  he is claiming a misstatement of facts or truths but rather that your are in conflict with his 'emotional truths'.  To think otherwise might put one in a state of cognitive dissonance.   :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 01:14:13 pm by Adel »

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2021, 12:40:38 pm »
In comparison to you, I think many commentators on this forum can make a rational point. You know your history of BS-making and deflections.
Question- Do you think that you, gogators!, Adel and MayorHaggar are at the top of people's "Rational Point Making and Well-Thought Out Opinion" list?You think anyone on this site is looking at you four as any sort of paragons of intellectual debate and discussion?

I will say at least your posts are indicative of someone who graduated university (and Adel's). MayorHaggar it's just obvious that never in his life has anyone considered him the smartest person at the table or worthy of taking serious advice from and this shows.

But I think you might want to focus some of that attention in their direction as well, because they don't stack up great either.

Anyways, what all this has to do with the poll question I asked is beyond me, but we're here now not because I went off on a tangent, but because gogators! and Mayor Haggar did.

Remember that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 12:48:00 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2021, 12:51:43 pm »
It takes (at least) two to tango.

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2021, 01:06:55 pm »
Eh true. I mean, me personally, I love a good sidebar and this has certainly delivered a good couple of pages of stuff to yik and yak about. All I ask is to embrace the sidebar, not claim that only one person sidebars while sidebarring.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2021, 01:11:21 pm »
Eh true. I mean, me personally, I love a good sidebar and this has certainly delivered a good couple of pages of stuff to yik and yak about. All I ask is to embrace the sidebar, not claim that only one person sidebars while sidebarring.

I take it you'd didn't appreciate my defence Marti? Just trying to help you out!
One might suggest though that choosing your inspiration for 'Rational Point Making and Well-Thought Out Opinion' from a hypnotist might not be the best starting point in an effort to gain credibility.  Just sayin.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 01:25:52 pm by Adel »

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2021, 01:20:44 pm »
I say let's get back to normal. I have said from the beginning that they should have just let this thing burn itself around the world killing whomever it would. had that happened my guess is it would have burned itself out well before now. This is what viruses and plagues do.

In the beginning it was killing old and sick people. It may have killed me had I caught it. Who cares. I am not important and neither are you. The world will spin just fine without either of us, or anyone else alive for that matter.

Greed, selfishness and hubris are keeping this virus alive and mutating.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2021, 01:46:26 pm »

Marty self-tangos.

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2021, 01:47:10 pm »
I take it you'd didn't appreciate my defence Marti? Just trying to help you out!
One might suggest though that choosing your inspiration for 'Rational Point Making and Well-Thought Out Opinion' from a hypnotist might not be the best starting point in an effort to gain credibility.  Just sayin.
Where did I say he was my inspiration? I said I disagreed with him on many things, but this was a good point he made.

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2021, 01:47:49 pm »
Marty self-tangos.
The fact that you don't think you yourself do the same things shows that you are trapped in Stage 1: It's everyone else, but me.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2021, 01:54:46 pm »
Question- Do you think that you, gogators!, Adel and MayorHaggar are at the top of people's "Rational Point Making and Well-Thought Out Opinion" list?You think anyone on this site is looking at you four as any sort of paragons of intellectual debate and discussion?

I will say at least your posts are indicative of someone who graduated university (and Adel's). MayorHaggar it's just obvious that never in his life has anyone considered him the smartest person at the table or worthy of taking serious advice from and this shows.

But I think you might want to focus some of that attention in their direction as well, because they don't stack up great either.

Anyways, what all this has to do with the poll question I asked is beyond me, but we're here now not because I went off on a tangent, but because gogators! and Mayor Haggar did.

Remember that.

I don't think anyone on this site is looking much for an exhaustive "intellectual debate and discussion". If you think this is it then you've got to be disappointed through all those years of posting.

Why belittle someone for not being university educated? Plenty of smart people out there without a college education.

There is a common dominator in why most of these  "intellectual debate and discussion" peter out. Maybe, you can figure it out.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2021, 01:58:36 pm »
Where did I say he was my inspiration? I said I disagreed with him on many things, but this was a good point he made.

Yes I was inspired by Adams, whom I agree with on dome things but not on others. No doubt as you do with Harris and Pakman as you are linking to their shows.

Was that another one of those emotional truths "on the dome things" rather what you actually wrote? 
Did you mean his crystal ball by the dome things? It was an interesting choice of terms when attempting to intellectualise in the manner that you claim to.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 02:04:15 pm by Adel »

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2021, 02:01:30 pm »
Was that another one of those emotional truths rather what you actually wrote?
I was inspired by him for the "so" tell, not for "rational point-making and well-thought out opinion"

Again, mischaracterization .

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2021, 02:04:14 pm »
Why belittle someone for not being university educated? Plenty of smart people out there without a college education.
I didn't belittle anyone for not being university educated. Since we're all NETs, we presumably all have university educations. However there are some where it looks like they got into uni more due to the fact that there's a bunch out there and sooner or later, they'll take anyone vs. actually being able to understand things at that level or really bothered to understand some of the principles that a college education stresses.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2021, 02:09:58 pm »

I was inspired by him for the "so" tell, not for "rational point-making and well-thought out opinion"

Again, mischaracterization .
Ah, another emotional truth then rather than what you actually wrote.  ;D

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2021, 02:18:12 pm »
Letís ax the personal attacks and instead strive for edifying useful discussion of universal appeal.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2021, 08:37:55 pm »
I say let's get back to normal. I have said from the beginning that they should have just let this thing burn itself around the world killing whomever it would. had that happened my guess is it would have burned itself out well before now. This is what viruses and plagues do.

In the beginning it was killing old and sick people. It may have killed me had I caught it. Who cares. I am not important and neither are you. The world will spin just fine without either of us, or anyone else alive for that matter.

I think most people probably put a much higher value on their lives and the lives of others than who cares.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2021, 07:18:53 am »

Not only is this statement morally reprehensible, but it illuminates a very basic ignorance of how pathogens and their hosts coevolve.

Viruses and plagues differ greatly according to their process of infection. The human immune system does not always produce immunity to a disease after a primary infection (ie HepC, AIDS, Malaria, etc). There's never a guarantee that without intervention, a disease will continue to spin through a population, reinfecting and killing those who survived it previously.
The Black death killed one in three of everybody in Europe, and it is still around. If there is ever a resurgence, it will be somewhat okay because we have developed antibiotics that can effectively deal with it (it's a bacteriological disease), not because our immune systems can deal with it any better than it could a thousand years ago.
Smallpox and polio and many other scourges have been eradicated or greatly reduced because of science, not because we let the vulnerable demographics catch the disease and die.

Even if it did, many diseases mutate quickly enough that natural immunity fade rather quickly, as seems to be the case with Influenza and Covid. There's a reason flu booster shots are given annually, and it's not (primarily) because it's a money grab.

Also, letting a virus run rampant through a population makes mutations even more likely to develop. Mutations happen over *viral* generations, which means that they can occur between one transmission to the next. Every new infection carries the same possibility for the occurrence of a new strain as the previous. Without any kind of curve-flattening, new mutations will develop and propogate much faster over time, which would make developing countermeasures against the virus almost impossible.

Finally, with a disease that seems to kill mostly the older demographic, as a society we will never develop an immunity towards it: old people who survive the disease don't pass their immunity down to the next generation. Instead what we would see is a permanent reduction in life expectancy. That's a bad thing.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2021, 08:04:19 am »

The black death lasted over 100 years. Covid is here to stay for as long as the human population is around. Even with the precautions and technology we have, we're still at 4 million lives lost (likely up to double that due to underreporting)...how many of your family members and friends are you willing to sacrifice to this thing?

Pathogens mutate...that's what they do and have always done. The more hosts they have, the more variants of the virus there will be. And no, there is no way to predict where, when or how the virus will "burn itself out" in your proposed scenario.

Thankfully we have real life examples of countries that let covid run rampant - Brazil, India and Russia. Has the virus "burned itself out" in those countries?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2021, 09:20:52 am »
40% of deer tested in 2021 had covid-19 antibodies. In Michigan, 60%. Deer arenít dying or suffering any ill effects. Why is that? At least part of it is theyíre not sedentary and obese. They walk around and eat healthy food.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2021, 09:26:19 am »
40% of deer tested in 2021 had covid-19 antibodies. In Michigan, 60%. Deer arenít dying or suffering any ill effects. Why is that? At least part of it is theyíre not sedentary and obese. They walk around and eat healthy food.

fascinating, but what does that have to do with this thread