Read 14933 times

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
Re: It makes me sick to my stomach
« Reply #180 on: August 25, 2021, 10:42:22 am »
Disagree. Healthy means you feel nothing. The robust immune system takes care of it quick before it can replicate and spread.

did bill maher tell you that too? at least hes finally committed to jumping off the deep end i guess

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2021, 10:53:19 am »
"healthy people cannot get sick or die from sickness because i'm healthy and i don't get sick"

holy shit rainman go back to the numbers and random fact recall, this kind of 'critical thinking' ain't it

even

"healthy people cannot get sick or die from sickness (ex. covid) because 99% of healthy people don't die from covid"

is still 100% false without some kind "well if they died they weren't healthy" circular reasoning mental acrobatics
more gg more skill

« Reply #182 on: August 25, 2021, 10:53:33 am »
L I, falling back on anecdotal evidence does not make an argument, and it doesn't justify your far-reaching conclusions, either. It's a logical fallacy, and I know you know it.

What it does is illustrate is that you're conflating correlation with causation, and that you're failing to consider all of the other variables that could also be responsible for your sudden immortality. Such as not exposing yourself to all of the same vector components when you made those lifestyle changes.

I promise you, you can still get sick, lol. It might take a larger viral load for you to feel it as compared to someone who is 80 years old, but you can still get sick. I've got a ton of anecdotal stories of healthy people who got sick, even after going for years without getting sick, but my stories don't ignore medical science to make a claim.

If you don't believe me, though, post around in forums populated with doctors and scientists. I'm sure someone will eventually reach out to you.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 10:58:22 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #183 on: August 25, 2021, 11:05:10 am »
Because of decades of vaccines and built-up immunity, thanks to medical science. Not because you're superhuman.
Decades of vaccines for the common cold (rhinovirus)? When did this happen? Yes, some people get flu shots, but many do not and they are of limited efficacy.

The built-up immunity is from both our immune system and millennia of exposure.

They absolutely still can and do get sick, dude.
I don't think anyone is denying that a small sliver of the young and healthy can get it and suffer complications, what people are saying is that such a sliver is so small, that it does not necessitate the level of anxiety and social measures that people are advocating. We have to tolerate the minute chance of death in things or else we couldn't function- we'd spend our entire existence trying to fight remote causes of death.

And you have medical science to thank for your any defense that you have against common viruses now.
While medical science has done great things, my defenses towards rhinoviruses, influenza as well as others is due to thousands of years of evolution both by homo sapiens and by viruses into less lethal forms that become the dominant strain.

The risks are still there, just to a lesser extent, and you can still get cancer or catch a virus and die from it.
However in conjunction with medical science, having a healthy lifestyle can dramatically decrease your chances of death not just from coronavirus, but a host of other things as well, including cancer. In fact, if you were to put unvaccinated young and healthy people vs. vaccinated young and obese people, I believe the first group would show a greater life-expectancy over the long-run. In terms of COVID...maybe? Depends on the strain and the genetics and such.

It doesn't matter how healthy you are, they survive, and they mutate and become more deadly.
That is not always the case. Often they become less deadly. They can become more deadly but that is not always the case.

The difference between then and now is that we have vaccines to help quicken our own immune systems' development against them and therefore lessen this impact, but it requires people to cooperate.
The difference is in the individual nature of each disease primarily, then medical technology.

If you haven't be sick in years, it's not because you're the ultimate example of health and good genetics. It's because vaccines have been around for a long-ass time and most people get inoculated.
Again, it's because of the individual nature of the disease, how the disease has evolved, human evolution, genetics (there appears to be a genetic component to COVID chance of death), individual health and immunity, AND vaccines and medical science.

Sure, get healthy and fit along the way, but you still need to protect yourself and others in the meantime, lol.

I think L I's overall point is that it is our unhealthiness that is causing the severity of the pandemic, not the virus itself. If the human population were of good health, in the case of the young, the virus would be of such a low threat that it wouldn't warrant any drastic measures. It would be, well, just another coronavirus floating around. It is only because we shovel our faces full of shit and don't get exercise that this is a big issue.

I get your point that vaccines are essential, and I do think he isn't giving them enough attention, and he makes some incredibly suspect claims with no scientific backing (as frankly, have you), but we need to also accept the fact that we're at this level of panic because we eat like shit and are too lazy to f*cking exercise.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 11:08:03 am by Mr.DeMartino »
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

« Reply #184 on: August 25, 2021, 11:12:55 am »
Dmart, I'm only posting this to state that I'm still ignoring you. It isn't a mistake that I haven't responded to any of your posts after I said I wouldn't. If it were possible to block users on this forum, I would have blocked you a long time ago as I feel you sow discord with incredibly low value posts.

You're dishonest, you get wrapped up in your personal feelings and wants about it, and you can be absolutely insufferable towards that end. This has not changed at all from the few times I didn't scroll past your posts.

I've said my piece. You can waste your time if you want, but I won't be wasting any of mine on you.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 11:16:13 am by Chinguetti »

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #185 on: August 25, 2021, 11:16:39 am »

I think L I's overall point is that it is our unhealthiness that is causing the severity of the pandemic, not the virus itself. If the human population were of good health, in the case of the young, the virus would be of such a low threat that it wouldn't warrant any drastic measures. It would be, well, just another coronavirus floating around. It is only because we shovel our faces full of shit and don't get exercise that this is a big issue.

We aren't addressing his overall point (which you seem to have made up for him). We are talking about one specific instance, where he claimed that

Disagree. Healthy means you feel nothing. The robust immune system takes care of it quick before it can replicate and spread.

I'm pretty sure that even you would agree this is blatantly false.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #186 on: August 25, 2021, 11:19:11 am »
Ok, well it’s been true for me. For years. Haven’t felt any sickness. It’s no coincidence that healthy living is correlated with a strengthened immune system.

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #187 on: August 25, 2021, 11:20:30 am »
I don't think anyone is denying that a small sliver of the young and healthy can get it and suffer complications,

L I is absolutely denying this.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2021, 11:20:42 am »
Ok, well it’s been true for me. For years. Haven’t felt any sickness. It’s no coincidence that healthy living is correlated with a strengthened immune system.

This is a much more reasonable statement, and one that I could agree with.

« Reply #189 on: August 25, 2021, 11:21:13 am »
Dmart, I'm only posting this to state that I'm still ignoring you. It isn't a mistake that I haven't responded to any of your posts after I said I wouldn't. If it were possible to block users on this forum, I would have blocked you a long time ago as I feel you sow discord with incredibly low value posts.

You're dishonest, you get wrapped up in your personal feelings and wants about it, and you can be absolutely insufferable towards that end. This has not changed at all from the few times I didn't scroll past your posts.

I've said my piece. You can waste your time if you want, but I won't be wasting any of mine on you.
That's your choice.

But you made some false statements and I pointed them out.

You're welcome to point out any dishonesty now or in the past. When asked to, you never did cite examples. Thus it will be hard for me to learn from and correct things.

Anyways, if you are the kind of person who us open-minded and doesn't hold irrationak grudges, I'd appreciate a second chance, if not, all the best in life to you. I have nothing but good wishes for you.

« Reply #190 on: August 25, 2021, 11:22:05 am »
Well if he is then he's an idiot.

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #191 on: August 25, 2021, 11:25:58 am »
That is a logical statement.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #192 on: August 25, 2021, 11:26:50 am »
Is the number so small as to be statistically insignificant?

I could die crossing the street today. But probably won’t. So I won’t worry about it.

Where are all the young, healthy people dying from coronavirus? The media would like to parade them in front of us to make seem like it is common. But it’s not.

Coronaviruses hurt people when they pass the first line of defense and replicate.

If they’re not penetrating deep into the body the person isn’t going to be sick.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #193 on: August 25, 2021, 11:30:34 am »

No I’m not. They can get a mild cold. Not much beyond that in all likelihood. Will they die? If non-elderly and in good health, the chances are extremely small. Pretty much unheard of. Out of billions of people, how many does that happen to?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #194 on: August 25, 2021, 11:32:19 am »
“See you tomorrow.”

“You don’t know you’ll be alive tomorrow. You can’t say that with 100% certainty.”

“What a moron! This guy is certain he’ll be here tomorrow!”

:undecided:

Will I be here tomorrow? What are the statistical odds?

:lipsrsealed:

Will there be many great posts to come from us? What’s the chance?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 11:35:46 am by L I »

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #195 on: August 25, 2021, 11:34:59 am »
Is the number so small as to be statistically insignificant?

I could die crossing the street today. But probably won’t. So I won’t worry about it.

Where are all the young, healthy people dying from coronavirus? The media would like to parade them in front of us to make seem like it is common. But it’s not.

Coronaviruses hurt people when they pass the first line of defense and replicate.

If they’re not penetrating deep into the body the person isn’t going to be sick.

1) a terrible example. there are many systems in place to prevent you getting hit by a car. you probably wait to cross. you probably look in the direction of traffic. you might even look both ways. you might even look twice. this is all probably because, though the chance is statistically insignificant, not doing those things could eventually kill you

1a) deer don't look both ways
1b) healthy people have a better chance of surviving car accidents, you still look both ways

2) no one is saying healthy people COMMONLY die from the rona. we are saying that being healthy is no GUARANTEE that you will come out unscathed. if the rona is a grenade being healthy is a flak jacket, not an m1 abrams
more gg more skill

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #196 on: August 25, 2021, 11:36:45 am »
“You don’t know you’ll be alive tomorrow. You can’t say that with 100% certainty.”
further reading: david hume on the problem of induction
more gg more skill

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #197 on: August 25, 2021, 11:40:11 am »
“See you tomorrow.”

“What a moron! This guy is certain he’ll be here tomorrow!”

:undecided:

Will I be here tomorrow? What are the statistical odds?

:lipsrsealed:

Will there be many great posts to come from us? What’s the chance?

Been taking bad analogy lessons from DMT, I gather?

« Reply #198 on: August 25, 2021, 11:48:10 am »
@Dmart: This isn't some grudge I have against you, though it is your call to conflate it as much. You're just a low quality poster. I've chosen to ignore you because you're dishonest and irrational but are always trying to paint everyone else with that brush. You constantly make false statements about EVERYTHING, and yet here you are trying to high road me over something that wasn't ever actually stated. I don't care about what you responded to me, I told you I didn't read any of it because I already know it's all bullshit. No, man. This isn't about my post. This is about you.

You're an incredibly toxic person who loves to gaslight. And the fact that I've chosen to stop engaging with you is 100% on you. Cutting off toxic people irl or online is a completely rational decision. It doesn't hurt my feelings at all that you take umbrage with that, you brought it on yourself, lol. Move on. I know I have. This will be my last post to you, I only felt like I needed to hammer that home one last time because you quoted me directly which indicates that I'd failed to make my point clear the first time.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 11:56:55 am by Chinguetti »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #199 on: August 25, 2021, 11:48:19 am »
Been taking bad analogy lessons from DMT, I gather?