Read 14934 times

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
Re: It makes me sick to my stomach
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2021, 02:01:31 pm »
At some point we have to recognize that this COVID pandemic is strongly linked to unnatural outcomes in our species- namely mass obesity and massive decrease in mortality rates for elderly individuals caused by modern medicine. This is something that is just not biologically normal for animal populations and if it ever does happen, usually there is some kind of correcting mechanism that takes place.

Various COVID measures do help, but they don't address the underlying problem- obesity and our aging population.

okay, and how would you suggest addressing the underlying problems of obesity and our aging population? and while im sure there are a few reasonable suggestions we could bicker over, lets skip that and acknowledge that literally no politician in the history of politics (possibly ever) is going to willingly take the optics hit that come with any of our propositions.

Deer donít wear masks, get vaccinated, or socially distance, so why arenít they dying from it? (Latest stat I heard from Michigan is 67% of deer tested there have the antibodies.) Theyíre not obese and sedentary. Theyíre not eating junk food. Walking around gives their body exercise.

theyre also a different species, not sure why you keep glossing over that bit
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 02:05:17 pm by 745sticky »

« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2021, 02:08:08 pm »
okay, and how would you suggest addressing the underlying problems of obesity and our aging population?
Open the economy back up and let the chips fall where they may.
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2021, 02:11:44 pm »
theyre also a different species, not sure why you keep glossing over that bit

Ok, letís look at the human species. Not a big covid problem in Africa - people arenít obese there. Except for South Africa - people are obese there. (Out of all demographics of foreign teachers in Korea, by far the fattest are South African females. The majority are obese. Itís shocking.)

« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2021, 02:13:56 pm »
Ok, letís look at the human species. Not a big covid problem in Africa - people arenít obese there. Except for South Africa - people are obese there. (Out of all demographics of foreign teachers in Korea, by far the fattest are South African females. The majority are obese. Itís shocking.)
While I agree that obesity is one of the elephants in the room that no one wants to talk about, I think you're making some pretty big leaps there.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2021, 02:15:10 pm »
South Africa has a huge covid problem while the rest of Africa doesnít. Whatís the explanation?

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2021, 02:19:17 pm »
(Out of all demographics of foreign teachers in Korea, by far the fattest are South African females. The majority are obese. Itís shocking.)

any other saffers care to confirm? not from there personally but i find this hard to believe when 'murica exists

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2021, 02:27:16 pm »
South Africa has a huge covid problem while the rest of Africa doesnít. Whatís the explanation?

Source?
https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/regions/africa/

While the Delta variant is a growing concern in the United States, countries across Africa are in crisis mode as COVID-19 spreads rapidly and vaccination rates remain devastatingly low.

https://www.path.org/articles/what-fueling-covid-19-crisis-africa/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 02:30:16 pm by Adel »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2021, 02:30:08 pm »
Your source says South Africa is way above other African countries, which was my point.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2021, 02:32:19 pm »
Your source says South Africa is way above other African countries, which was my point.

You said it is not a huge problem in other parts of Africa. That is patiently false. Own you bs or go back to running free with the deer please. 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2021, 02:35:11 pm »
ďHugeĒ is subjective. Africa is way below the global average (except for South Africa which is way above).

Poor Africans donít have the means to get vaccinatedÖ but theyíre not dying because theyíre not obese.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2021, 02:40:44 pm »
Letís just say thereís an enormous correlation between obesity and covid problems. Everywhere in the world.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2021, 02:57:04 pm »
While I agree that obesity is one of the elephants in the room that no one wants to talk about, I think you're making some pretty big leaps there.

hasnt it been pretty widely reported that obese people are more at-risk? i mean maybe the issue might not be getting the airtime it deserves in your opinion, but anyone whose been paying a modicum of attention should be informed on that basic fact at least

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2021, 03:05:54 pm »

This Delta surged around the time folks started getting vaccinated.  Makes me wonder if there's a connection. 

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2021, 03:07:23 pm »
This Delta surged around the time folks started getting vaccinated.  Makes me wonder if there's a connection.

What do you suspect that connection could be?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2021, 03:08:29 pm »
hasnt it been pretty widely reported that obese people are more at-risk? i mean maybe the issue might not be getting the airtime it deserves in your opinion, but anyone whose been paying a modicum of attention should be informed on that basic fact at least

When I posted this, the mod in this thread - a smart and knowledgeable guy - said the video was interesting and that he hadnít heard about the relationship between obesity and covid before. So no, I wouldnít say itís common knowledge. Many are unaware.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vDaQOy7ML38

Bill Maher implores Americans do to their part in the fight against COVID-19 by confronting the country's obesity epidemic.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 03:10:46 pm by L I »

« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2021, 03:09:57 pm »
I think that while people do talk about it, there's a significant segment out there that doesn't want to talk about it in detail and consider some of the more serious implications because it makes them uncomfortable.

That being said, L I's South Africa stuff is just baseless. It COULD be true, but there's not enough foundation there. There are a lot of variables in terms of spread. But yes, obesity does appear to have stuck out amongst other variables. Still, I'm not sure that applies to SA.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2021, 03:15:05 pm »
Considering that reducing obesity not just lowers your risk for COVID death but a host of other causes, yeah probably.

probably not (?) idk but if you told me "glooby, you're gonna get the rona, would you rather be vaxxed and fat or healthy but not vaxxed?" i'm going with the vaxx

For them to slim down too would be ideal
for them to get the vaccine would be ideal. but yeah slimming down is great too. re: rona prevention strategies, i'm going to assume everyone would agree that it would be better to get the vaccine than lose weight assuming one has access to the vaccine. feel free to argue that assumption if you must

so lets say i'm obese. maybe im 185cm and 105kgif only my bulks were that strong (this is on the low end of BMI-defined obesity). lets pretend i don't live in america where its easy to get the vaccine. according to various sources that i just googledgoogle it, you can healthily lose ~4kg a month. to put myself in the "normal" BMI category, i'd need to get down to 85kg. so i need to lose 20kg and i can do that in a healthy way in 5 months. shit i'll even give you 4 months if you wanna do some emergency weight loss stuff

now i think losing weight and being at a healthy weight is as great as the next person. HOWEVER, is it a viable coronavirus prevention strategy for someone RIGHT NOW? maybe not. SHIRLEY, it is not as viable as getting the vaccine, which is possible for nearly 100% of us and almost everyone we know

again (because i know one of you is gonna try and strawman me) losing weight is great. obese people should try to lose weight if they want a better chance at surviving the rona. losing weight is NOT as good of a strategy as getting the vaccine

**** capitalization and punctuation. i said what i said
more gg more skill

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2021, 03:17:33 pm »
When I posted this, the mod in this thread - a smart and knowledgeable guy - said the video was interesting and that he hadnít heard about the relationship between obesity and covid before. So no, I wouldnít say itís common knowledge. Many are unaware.

please show me a quote of this happening

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2021, 03:33:39 pm »
That's actually pretty interesting. I never thought about links between obesity and increased Covid19 mortality rates.

New Covid19 slogan: "Eat a salad, survive the plague!"

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 05:43:30 pm by L I »

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2021, 03:43:01 pm »
LI, nobody disbelieves you.
Being healthy is an obvious way to mitigate the effects of a disease. People have known this for millenia. Literally.

What people are trying to say is that being healthy is not a good *primary way* of dealing with covid.

Wear a mask, get a vaccine, avoid vectors of transmission. And yes, do what you can to be healthy so that if you do contract the disease, you wont spontaneously combust.  :smiley:

But I'd suggest testing it out yourself LI. There should be enough opportunities to get infected in Korea. Then try eating a salad and get back to us.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 03:47:24 pm by Adel »