Read 2243 times

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
TaLK Program to end
« on: August 08, 2021, 08:57:54 am »
Greetings from the TaLK Office.

Regarding the next intake, we regrettably will not be processing applications for February 2022 or beyond. Due to complications brought on by COVID, along with administrative changes across affiliated Offices of Education, we have determined that it is no longer feasible for us to continue running the Teach and Learn in Korea (TaLK) Program. It is with a heavy heart that we announce the conclusion of the TaLK Program after what will be 27 fruitful generations over the course of 13 and a half years.

We are proud to have served in the role of supporting English Education in the rural areas of Korea, and have seen countless amazing teachers come through our program and witnessed equally amazing growth from the young elementary school students here. Just the same, we are also honored by the fact that our Scholars have shared with us the meaning and reward that our program was able to provide for them. Through our program, they were able to learn more about Korean culture and to create unforgettable memories and lifelong friendships. Through this experience, many of our wonderful Scholars have discovered something new about themselves and have used their TaLK experience to advance themselves in their careers. We have seen many Scholars continue their life in Korea after the program, and we have also seen many return to their home countries to continue down the path of an educator.

We are also sincerely thankful to everyone over the years for their interest in the TaLK Program. Without your interest and support, we would not have been able to keep the program going for all these years. We are especially grateful to our MOU university partners for the efforts they have put into helping connect us with highly motivated students to participate in our program, even during the COVID pandemic.

Although we will not be able to bring in any new Scholars from 2022 onward, we will continue to support the new August 2021 intake along with current TaLK Scholars who will complete their scholarships in the upcoming semester. We intend to continue with opportunities such as the newsletter and contests for Scholars to participate in until the end of the semester in January. Former TaLK Scholars can still reach out to our office if a scholarship verification letter is needed. The last day of TaLK operations is set for January 31, 2022, which marks the end of the 27th Generation.

We understand the regret and disappointment the ending of TaLK may bring – it is a feeling we share especially after seeing all the lives our program has touched. However, for those who are still interested in teaching in Korea, please consider applying to our sister program, English Program in Korea (EPIK). You can find out more information on their requirements and application process on their website at http://epik.go.kr. They will begin accepting applications on August 23rd for the Spring 2022 intake.

We thank you once again for your interest in the TaLK Program. Although our journey may be coming to end, we wish you well in your endeavors in teaching and learning in Korea.

Sincerely,
TaLK Office[/i]

http://www.talk.go.kr/talk/talk_new/content/announcement_view.jsp?site=eng&notice_mainno=450

I went to Korea for the first time as a TaLK Scholar. Shame that such a wonderful program is coming to an end. I'm guessing fewer elementary students and further cuts in the government's ESL budget means current full time public school NETs will pick up some of the slack.

Things will only get worse in Korea's ESL industry...as they have been for years now.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 09:00:12 am by waygo0k »

Re: TaLK Program to end
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 11:33:35 am »
So it begins

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 12:20:01 pm »

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 12:56:51 pm »
Surprised it took this long. It seemed like it was on death's door like 5 or 6 years ago.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 03:08:18 pm »
In the long term TALK is probably more costly then EPIK to fund since scholars were able to choose 6 month options, and scholars were only able to extend up to one time, which meant the need to fund more incoming and returning flights. Also those working at the Ministry of Education probably realized that those Korean kids living in lower income rural areas donít have as much of a need for the after school English programs.

But with TALK now gone, things are probably going to get a lot more competitive from now on and the rural EPIK teachers will probably be required to pick up the after school classes in schools that still want a NET.

Also, going forward, EPIK might start asking teachers to sign 2 year contracts (I know 2 year E2 visas have been available for some time for Hagwon teachers).

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 08:49:08 pm »
TaLK most definitely isn't cheaper than EPIK. Scholars are paid 1.5mil regardless of how long they've been with the program. 2 TaLK scholars on 6 month contracts cost far less than one EPIK teacher on a one year contract...though the TaLK workload is far lower than EPIK's.

The one renewal 'rule' was more of a suggestion as far as I recall. I know people who were with the program for over 3 years.

I see these cuts spreading into future EPIK budgets as well. This is the time to have an exit plan for Korea if you don't have family ties here. Public school cuts will only make hagwon positions more competitive to get.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 09:21:23 pm »
TaLK most definitely isn't cheaper than EPIK. Scholars are paid 1.5mil regardless of how long they've been with the program. 2 TaLK scholars on 6 month contracts cost far less than one EPIK teacher on a one year contract...though the TaLK workload is far lower than EPIK's.

The one renewal 'rule' was more of a suggestion as far as I recall. I know people who were with the program for over 3 years.

I see these cuts spreading into future EPIK budgets as well. This is the time to have an exit plan for Korea if you don't have family ties here. Public school cuts will only make hagwon positions more competitive to get.

if i had the time, i think i might be able to find a similar comment from you in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 ...
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 09:27:00 pm »
if i had the time, i think i might be able to find a similar comment from you in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 ...

And since then contract conditions have gotten worse, pay stagnant, further cuts announced, fewer students etc etc etc.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 01:11:13 am »
As I understood it, the program was set up years ago to cover shortages of foreign teachers outside of Seoul.  The Great Recession and years beyond eliminated that issue.  It was the same with hiring some certified teachers from India to overcome the shortages.  But they got rid of that program several years ago. 

If you need a job,

These are some China Facebook ESL job groups:

ESL English Teachers Jobs

Teaching Jobs in China

Teaching Jobs in Asia

ESL Teacher China

ESL Job in China and Taiwan

TeachChina

ShenzhenJobsForeign

If you like Vietnam instead:

English Teaching Jobs in Vietnam

English Teaching Jobs in Hanoi

English Teaching Jobs in Vietnam (The Original)

teaching English jobs and other jobs for foreigners in Vietnam

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 01:13:06 am »

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 07:15:04 am »
Begins?

Complete elimination of programs like this.

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2021, 09:45:38 am »
Complete elimination of programs like this.

Honestly, I think that  the TALK program was probably a lot more beneficial for the "talk scholars" than the rural students. For those who were able to take advantage of this TALK position, they  got an incredible internship opportunity that allowed the to try out/ develop their teaching skills, immerse themselves in a new culture, and make very decent money! Sure, the rural students benefited a little from  a few extra hours playing English games, singing English songs, and getting exposed to a foreign person in their after school classes, but in the end how many of the rural kids will actually pursue English diligently (outside of class) or will need English in their daily lives and jobs in the future? Probably not that many.

As unfortunate as it sounds, the ones who take English more seriously and are willing to put in the work and effort into learning the language are the kids who come from upper income families living in the cities since they are the ones who are more likely to study and work abroad in the future.  It's been nearly 30 years since EPIK and 13 since TALK was launched, and I think that the Korean government has long realized that their good intentions of decreasing the gap between the haves and have nots by providing English education to all students isn't working for many reasons (i.e Rural students/ lower level students unmotivated to learn, only one a week classes with Native teacher= negligible results, no set guidelines for foreign teachers to meet, having a NET will not stop students from taking Hagwon lessons, and so on.

Going forward, EPIK will probably start phasing out extremely rural positions, reducing positions for new applicants. I don't think EPIK will be completely gone anytime soon, but it is moving towards that direction and eventually schools that want to have a NET will be required to do direct hiring of applicants already living in the country, or offering part-time contracts.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 09:48:06 am by HiddenInKorea »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2021, 10:05:24 am »
Honestly, I think that  the TALK program was probably a lot more beneficial for the "talk scholars" than the rural students. For those who were able to take advantage of this TALK position, they  got an incredible internship opportunity that allowed the to try out/ develop their teaching skills, immerse themselves in a new culture, and make very decent money! Sure, the rural students benefited a little from  a few extra hours playing English games, singing English songs, and getting exposed to a foreign person in their after school classes, but in the end how many of the rural kids will actually pursue English diligently (outside of class) or will need English in their daily lives and jobs in the future? Probably not that many.

As unfortunate as it sounds, the ones who take English more seriously and are willing to put in the work and effort into learning the language are the kids who come from upper income families living in the cities since they are the ones who are more likely to study and work abroad in the future.  It's been nearly 30 years since EPIK and 13 since TALK was launched, and I think that the Korean government has long realized that their good intentions of decreasing the gap between the haves and have nots by providing English education to all students isn't working for many reasons (i.e Rural students/ lower level students unmotivated to learn, only one a week classes with Native teacher= negligible results, no set guidelines for foreign teachers to meet, having a NET will not stop students from taking Hagwon lessons, and so on.

Going forward, EPIK will probably start phasing out extremely rural positions, reducing positions for new applicants. I don't think EPIK will be completely gone anytime soon, but it is moving towards that direction and eventually schools that want to have a NET will be required to do direct hiring of applicants already living in the country, or offering part-time contracts.

In the 90s and 2000's, EPIK was more of a token foreigner in most of these rural areas.  One per town, when they could even get one.  Sometimes, they couldn't get anyone.  Most foreigners coming to Korea didn't want to live in these places.  EPIK ramped up their hiring in 2007, I think.  (SMOE and GEPIK in the mid 2000's, I think.)  They tried to get more teachers, more than one at a time, into these areas from around these times.  But they still had a hard time getting people and when they did, it took months and months to recruit and they were usually 55 or 60 years old.  Then, the Great Recession hit and all of a sudden, they could find people and started hiring younger teachers.  Rural areas got flooded with them.  So, EPIK in actuality has really only been operating with many youngish foreign teachers for about 12 years or so in rural areas.  Before that, foreigners were far and few in between and usually much much older. 

It was in this context, that they let folks with 2 year college degrees come in under TALK and they also hired Indian teachers with teaching degrees for rural areas to fill the gap.  They got rid of the Indian teachers by 2011 or 2012ish?  Not sure the exact date.  But with the market now flooded with too many EPIK teachers even in rural areas, I was surprised they kept the TALK going for so long afterward.  SMOE and GEPIK did huge cuts several years ago, but there were 2 foreign teachers in some schools up there I had heard.  There were some small reductions in rural areas during the last 3 or 4 years or so, but only very slight. 

Honestly, if you found a 9 to 6 kindy paying upper 2's or close to 3, I'd just go with that or jump ship to China for better pay.  If EPIK and the Korean government wants to play games, let them do them without us.  The Korvia Facebook group apparently has EPIK asking for even more rurles and hoops to jump through for new hires starting in 2022.  The only question is will more lemmings come over and jump through the extra hoops.  Some folks have no self respect I guess.  One example is that people from the UK and Australia will now have to provide copies of birth certificates in order to apply to EPIK for next year.  Ridiculous. 

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2021, 10:08:25 am »
English Teaching Jobs in Vietnam
Yes, but will the money be worth 'Fortunate Son' and 'For What It's Worth' being stuck in my head everywhere I go?

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2021, 10:10:06 am »
Yes, but will the money be worth 'Fortunate Son' and 'For What It's Worth' being stuck in my head everywhere I go?

Might be.  A little CCR will do ya some good son.

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2021, 11:02:13 am »
In the 90s and 2000's, EPIK was more of a token foreigner in most of these rural areas.  One per town, when they could even get one.  Sometimes, they couldn't get anyone.  Most foreigners coming to Korea didn't want to live in these places.  EPIK ramped up their hiring in 2007, I think.  (SMOE and GEPIK in the mid 2000's, I think.)  They tried to get more teachers, more than one at a time, into these areas from around these times.  But they still had a hard time getting people and when they did, it took months and months to recruit and they were usually 55 or 60 years old.  Then, the Great Recession hit and all of a sudden, they could find people and started hiring younger teachers.  Rural areas got flooded with them.  So, EPIK in actuality has really only been operating with many youngish foreign teachers for about 12 years or so in rural areas.  Before that, foreigners were far and few in between and usually much much older. 

It was in this context, that they let folks with 2 year college degrees come in under TALK and they also hired Indian teachers with teaching degrees for rural areas to fill the gap.  They got rid of the Indian teachers by 2011 or 2012ish?  Not sure the exact date.  But with the market now flooded with too many EPIK teachers even in rural areas, I was surprised they kept the TALK going for so long afterward.  SMOE and GEPIK did huge cuts several years ago, but there were 2 foreign teachers in some schools up there I had heard.  There were some small reductions in rural areas during the last 3 or 4 years or so, but only very slight. 

Honestly, if you found a 9 to 6 kindy paying upper 2's or close to 3, I'd just go with that or jump ship to China for better pay.  If EPIK and the Korean government wants to play games, let them do them without us.  The Korvia Facebook group apparently has EPIK asking for even more rurles and hoops to jump through for new hires starting in 2022.  The only question is will more lemmings come over and jump through the extra hoops.  Some folks have no self respect I guess.  One example is that people from the UK and Australia will now have to provide copies of birth certificates in order to apply to EPIK for next year.  Ridiculous. 

That's actually really interesting to hear that back in the day EPIK had applicants in their 50's and 60's since in North America ESL work has been thought of a job that someone could do after retirement.
I honestly think that the older ESL teachers,  who were actual teachers in the public school system back home and especially if they were public school ESL teachers, could have been a lot more helpful in training the Korean English teachers and passing down valuable skills than the majority of these young 21 ~ 22 year olds, who are here mostly to play around, party, and travel. It's a shame that the Indian teachers are gone as EPIK required the Indian applicants to be properly accredited teachers with teaching credentials and teaching experience back home. In a way the Indian EPIK teachers are on the same level as the North American teacher who are teaching at properly accredited International schools here in Korea. They are fully certified, but of course Koreans with their xenophobia and racism have a hard time accepting people's skills and abilities if they come from countries that are perceived to be less developed than Korea. 

I have seen the Korvia's recruiting website and 5 big changes that they listed for up comming applicants for 2022 and onward.

(1) Criminal record check is now required ahead of time.
(2) Proof of ability to submit diploma ahead of time
(3) United Kingdom and Australian citizens must submit birth certificate
(4) No longer first come, first server
(5) Stronger penalties for withdrawing

Most of the changes sound reasonable but the birth certificate one does seem rather strange. I thought that the birth certificate isn't really necessary because applicants needed to show proof of schooling from middle school ~ university in an English speaking country... and why does it matter where they were born? Maybe this is a set up ... if many applicants are born outside the countries and can't get a hold of their original birth certificates they'll be automatically disqualified and less people for EPIK to hire.  EPIK might just be trying to increase its barriers to entry since it has become really saturated with new grads since 2009 but is just going about putting up the wrong barriers...... Instead of asking for a birth certificate they should just ask applicants to take proper 1 year post-graduate TESL program that requires the students to complete  3 months practicums and come over with 6 months ~ 1 year + teaching experience under their belt. (The teaching experience could be anything... Kumon centre work tutoring students in writing and reading, or volunteering at the local library helping young learners and newcomers read, or even working in ESL settings with refugees and immigrants. This is an easier way to cut out all the people coming for the wrong reasons. 

Overall, the TALK scholars had the best benefits in term of work life balance, especially between (2008  ~ 2012) when the cost of living was low. With so much free time, many were able to purse and finish online master degrees/ bachelor degrees, enjoy spending their free time on their hobbies while exploring Korea and immersing themselves in the culture. While the pay was just 1.5 they would still enjoy a high quality of life with free accommodation and health benefits while only working 60 hours a month! You couldn't find this kind of deal back home!! This kind of lifestyle can now only be accomplished by foreigners on F6 visa, who are living in their spouses free apartment and working part time ... and even then it won't be as good because they're have to pay around 100,000 a won for their health insurance probably or buy a private insurance.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 11:04:35 am by HiddenInKorea »

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2021, 11:17:57 am »
This kind of lifestyle can now only be accomplished by foreigners on F6 visa, who are living in their spouses free apartment and working part time ... and even then it won't be as good because they're have to pay around 100,000 a won for their health insurance probably or buy a private insurance.

Yeah, all Korean spouses single handedly bring an apartment to the marriage and the foreign spouses contribute nothing just move in with a suitcase. What kind of nonsense statement is that?

The Korean spouse must have health insurance. Either through employment or self contribution. The spouse is covered under the same insurance at no extra charge. I mean if they are not employed properly ie. working as freelancers. Otherwise they will also have their own insurance through employment.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 11:28:40 am by Lazio »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2021, 11:33:56 am »
That's actually really interesting to hear that back in the day EPIK had applicants in their 50's and 60's since in North America ESL work has been thought of a job that someone could do after retirement.
I honestly think that the older ESL teachers,  who were actual teachers in the public school system back home and especially if they were public school ESL teachers, could have been a lot more helpful in training the Korean English teachers and passing down valuable skills than the majority of these young 21 ~ 22 year olds, who are here mostly to play around, party, and travel. It's a shame that the Indian teachers are gone as EPIK required the Indian applicants to be properly accredited teachers with teaching credentials and teaching experience back home. In a way the Indian EPIK teachers are on the same level as the North American teacher who are teaching at properly accredited International schools here in Korea. They are fully certified, but of course Koreans with their xenophobia and racism have a hard time accepting people's skills and abilities if they come from countries that are perceived to be less developed than Korea. 

I have seen the Korvia's recruiting website and 5 big changes that they listed for up comming applicants for 2022 and onward.

(1) Criminal record check is now required ahead of time.
(2) Proof of ability to submit diploma ahead of time
(3) United Kingdom and Australian citizens must submit birth certificate
(4) No longer first come, first server
(5) Stronger penalties for withdrawing

Most of the changes sound reasonable but the birth certificate one does seem rather strange. I thought that the birth certificate isn't really necessary because applicants needed to show proof of schooling from middle school ~ university in an English speaking country... and why does it matter where they were born? Maybe this is a set up ... if many applicants are born outside the countries and can't get a hold of their original birth certificates they'll be automatically disqualified and less people for EPIK to hire.  EPIK might just be trying to increase its barriers to entry since it has become really saturated with new grads since 2009 but is just going about putting up the wrong barriers...... Instead of asking for a birth certificate they should just ask applicants to take proper 1 year post-graduate TESL program that requires the students to complete  3 months practicums and come over with 6 months ~ 1 year + teaching experience under their belt. (The teaching experience could be anything... Kumon centre work tutoring students in writing and reading, or volunteering at the local library helping young learners and newcomers read, or even working in ESL settings with refugees and immigrants. This is an easier way to cut out all the people coming for the wrong reasons. 

Overall, the TALK scholars had the best benefits in term of work life balance, especially between (2008  ~ 2012) when the cost of living was low. With so much free time, many were able to purse and finish online master degrees/ bachelor degrees, enjoy spending their free time on their hobbies while exploring Korea and immersing themselves in the culture. While the pay was just 1.5 they would still enjoy a high quality of life with free accommodation and health benefits while only working 60 hours a month! You couldn't find this kind of deal back home!! This kind of lifestyle can now only be accomplished by foreigners on F6 visa, who are living in their spouses free apartment and working part time ... and even then it won't be as good because they're have to pay around 100,000 a won for their health insurance probably or buy a private insurance.

Well, in 2008 in the countryside, 1.5 million won a month was the minimum amount of income a man had to make to be able to find a wife.  So, I was told.  Minimum wage full time was 700 or 800 thousand won a month.  And for the record most EPIK rural teachers also had lots of free time back then.  You rarely taught 22 hours a week.  I often got assigned 4 or 5 hours a day at schools that didn't have enough classes.  I had 16 to 18 hours of classes per week.  Middle schools sent you home when you were done say around 2 30 or 3 pm.  Elementary sent you home after lunch.  School lunches were free then too and schools usually picked you up if you had to commute a couple of days a week.  If you wanted to leave early, you could pay a cheon won to take a bus home.  Some days were in the town and closer to home so you rode a bicycle home in several minutes.  Exam days and field trip days were stay home days.  Only once the market got flooded with too many teachers post 2009 did some schools insist on you paying for school lunch and staying all day.  It was still a mixed bag for me up until 2011 or 2012 though by 2010 I moved to a bigger regional city.  They were somewhat more strict there even then.  But I still got half days with desk warming during the vacations and going home a bit early on the exam days when I did middle school (but no more staying home on those days).  This was up until 2 or 3 years ago.  Lately, it has gotten hard core everywhere.  Anyways, those were the days for EPIK in the 2000's decade.  We all use to joke it was a trial run at retirement and that Korea made us lazy.  Low teaching hours, no desk warming, extra holidays unofficially, etc.  I think this is what Chinese public schools must be like now.  I made 1.9, then 2.1, then 2.3 million at these times.  It was great money.  Easily equal to my 3 million plus salary now.  (Salaries, excluding housing.) 

In a nutshell, rural EPIK was like a part time good paid job with the welcome mat rolled out for you.   I'd stroll into the country education office where everyone would greet me with a friendly "Hellllllo".  Some school principals even gave me a hug when they saw me or a friendly salute.  You actually felt like a person instead of nowadays feeling more like a number from the education office (what I thought I left behind in the west years ago).  It was a sweet gig back then.  Regular EPIK, I mean.  The official contract versus what actually was applied were very different.  But the contracts were not too filled with lame provisions back then.  For example no mention of signing out and accumulating 8 hours and giving up a vacation day if you went to the bank.  You just went.  If you didn't like school lunch, you could go nearby and eat.  You didn't need to ask permission or sign out.  You were actually treated like an adult.  Even when these offensive provisions came in, most of my schools in my area never bothered me or other teachers with that nonsense until the past couple of years.  No travel allowance back then and no renewal allowance.  You only got "flight reimbursement" if you went home.  But overall the package and work conditions were still much better than now with that cheaper cost of living.  Also, as I mentioned school lunch was free.

Honestly, EPIK is a shell of it's former self. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 11:36:44 am by hangook77 »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2021, 11:52:14 am »
I should add they (rural EPIK) were so desperate for foreigners back then that they upped the wages and increased the number of levels you could go up to.  But since 2009 or 2010, they haven't increased them.  When I first arrived with no tesol or ed degree you capped out at 2.2 or 2.3 mil but at most could go up to 2.4 or 2.5.  You could actually be hired as a level 3 which now you can't.   You started at 1.8 million and got an extra 100 thousand for being rural.  Next year was 2 million and 100 k for being in the country.  Though my dick province after a mandated EPIK pay hike for the level took away the 100k so I still got 2.1.  Then, next year I was suppose to go to  2.2 but went up to 2.3 due to another mandated EPIK pay hike.  But these pay hikes were only for rural provinces.  Seoul still starts as a level 3 at 1.8 million and 2 million for second year.  Only now, they won't hire as a level 3 anymore. 

So, the desperation factor meant you could now go up to 2.7 plus other multiple school allowances, rural allowances, and now renewal allowance (instead of flight reimbursement).  This could bring you up to 3 million a month or close to it.  This excludes housing or housing allowances.  This from 2009 or 2010ish.  It was a smoking hot deal at the time and after the Great Recession flooded the teaching market and for a few years afterwards.  The hakwon wages stayed stuck at 2.1 mil with longer work hours.  Some cities in Seoul and Gyeonggo public schools began around 2011 or 2012 with the ridiculous provisions in contracts and many of those schools up there actually enforced them from what I heard. 

It still took me a while to get to the top wage even after this as I had no tesol nor any experience and started as a level 3.  I should add due to desperation, renewal was usually automatic even if a school didn't like you.  That said, 3 million a month several years ago versus now is a big drop and I am now back to the wage I started with in inflationary terms.  The history of EPIK in a nutshell.  I would have loved to have been here in the early 2000's in the rural areas.  I heard the ed offices were so afraid you'd leave, they'd really baby you.  If you wanted a stereo, they'd buy you one and do other things for you like give you a few days off if you needed them, etc.  Actually, in 2008, one guy in a very rural town I knew had his mom visit him and the schools all gave him two weeks off in the middle of the semester to visit with her.  They were so great back then.  Actually, too great.  Ha ha.  Trying to get a day off now for something is worse than going to the dentist and getting teeth pulled.  I thought I left this type of micromanagement and control behind in the west.  I guess I did for a while. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 11:54:48 am by hangook77 »

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2021, 12:24:53 pm »
lol

Laughing because I thought TaLK had already been discontinued. Really caught with my pants down on this one.

Still sad, though.