Read 339582 times

Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #1160 on: August 23, 2021, 12:51:31 pm »
I only read the classics, like the Book of Mencius.

Foundational knowledge first, noise later or never. Why? Because noise without foundational knowledge can not be synthesized. Almost everything in bookstores is corporate noise, or worse disinformation.
How did those poor Westerners ever discover how to send people to the moon or vaccinate against polio without the teachings of Mencius?
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #1161 on: August 23, 2021, 01:09:41 pm »
Starting two more books.

Witnessing Gwangju: This is written by Paul Courtright, a US Peace Corps volunteer who was there in May 1980.

Pathways That Changed Myanmar: A history of Modern Myanmar (2010-). Should be interesting.

« Reply #1162 on: August 23, 2021, 01:24:27 pm »
X-Risk: How Humanity Discovered Its Own Extinction

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #1163 on: August 23, 2021, 01:35:50 pm »
I only read the classics, like the Book of Mencius.

Foundational knowledge first, noise later or never. Why? Because noise without foundational knowledge can not be synthesized. Almost everything in bookstores is corporate noise, or worse disinformation.

I bet you're the first person to reach for the lampshade at a party aren't you.

« Reply #1164 on: August 24, 2021, 07:34:05 am »
How did those poor Westerners ever discover how to send people to the moon or vaccinate against polio without the teachings of Mencius?

The (failing) West is an example of the inability to synthesize independent (scientific) observations into foundational knowledge, and integrate technology with social technology. Case in point: they should have read the classics, and applied them.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #1165 on: August 24, 2021, 07:52:46 am »
kimchininja are you not from the west? i assumed you were. if the west can produce such stunning intellects like your own then, shirley, how could it be failing?
more gg more skill

« Reply #1166 on: August 24, 2021, 03:02:13 pm »
The (failing) West is an example of the inability to synthesize independent (scientific) observations into foundational knowledge, and integrate technology with social technology. Case in point: they should have read the classics, and applied them.
I think the value of "foundational knowledge" which is neither flawless nor has had much success, is worth much relative to say, modern medicine and sanitation.

I don't think you really grasp how nasty and brutish life was before those things. I like not worrying that a cut is going to lead to me losing a limb or that the diarrhea I had the other day means I'm dead in 14-21 days from dysentery. I'd take those things before any teachings of Mencius any day. Where is this dramatic difference in lifestyle and outcomes because of Mencius?
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #1167 on: August 24, 2021, 03:04:20 pm »
assumed you were. if the west can produce such stunning intellects like your own

he owes his illuminating intellect to the teachings of confucius. duh.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #1168 on: August 24, 2021, 03:17:14 pm »
nasty and brutish
and short

he owes his illuminating intellect to the teachings of confucius. duh.
so there's hope for us then?
more gg more skill

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #1169 on: August 24, 2021, 03:58:51 pm »
I think the value of "foundational knowledge" which is neither flawless nor has had much success, is worth much relative to say, modern medicine and sanitation.

I don't think you really grasp how nasty and brutish life was before those things. I like not worrying that a cut is going to lead to me losing a limb or that the diarrhea I had the other day means I'm dead in 14-21 days from dysentery.

... says the guy who spent pages defending the practice of putting used toilet paper in open waste baskets in public facilities because of, and I quote, "reasons".

« Reply #1170 on: August 25, 2021, 05:36:00 pm »
I've started reading John Connolly's 'Charlie Parker' series. The first book 'Every Dead Thing' left my skin feeling like my nerves had been exposed. Really graphic writing! The story was fantastic, especially how Connolly was able to separate the book into two, but connected, stories.

I did read the 2nd book, but it was awhile ago, so I'll reread it some time later. I'm going to start book 3 tonight, 'The Killing Kind'. Hope it's a good one too.

« Reply #1171 on: August 25, 2021, 06:14:23 pm »
kimchininja are you not from the west? if the west can produce such stunning intellects like your own then, shirley, how could it be failing?

Brain drain; the smarties jumped ship. Anyone who remained got dumbed down.

Where is this dramatic difference in lifestyle and outcomes because of Mencius?

Youíve been living here at least a decade and still donít know?

Step one: actually read Mencius, instead of arguing about things of which you known not.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #1172 on: September 22, 2021, 10:31:24 pm »
Just finished Version Zero by David Yoon. A good though not all that nuanced look (fictional) at how the big tech companies steal our lives.
Epitaph for a Peach, about being a small farmer going organic.

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #1173 on: October 07, 2021, 02:26:43 pm »
Anxious People - really interesting / humorous book based around a ficticious bank robbery and hostage situation that takes place in Stockholm, Sweden.

The Epic City - written by an Indian guy that was born in Calcutta but raised in the US (east coast Ivy League). He winds up going back to India and writes a great book on daily life in India after re-connectinng with old friends.

The Basketball Diaries - an insane true story, written in diary form, by a talented new york high school basketball player from the 1960's that ends up partying too much and gets hooked on heroin. Was made into a movie with a young leo dicaprio and mark wahlberg in 1995.

Don't Stop The Carnival - just finished this today. Pretty funny book about a middle-aged guy from New York that has a mid-life crisis. He leaves his job, buys a small hotel on an island in the Caribbean, and tries to run it. Everything turns to shit and he immediately regrets it. lol 
too many blueprints & not enough architects

« Reply #1174 on: October 07, 2021, 03:12:20 pm »
Don't Stop The Carnival - just finished this today. Pretty funny book about a middle-aged guy from New York that has a mid-life crisis. He leaves his job, buys a small hotel on an island in the Caribbean, and tries to run it. Everything turns to shit and he immediately regrets it. lol 

This looks interesting. I'll give it a read after my current one in the Charlie Parker series.