Read 2050 times

MBC in trouble for the 3rd time!
« on: July 29, 2021, 09:16:14 am »
First time it was for posting some pretty inappropriate images for each country at the opening ceremony.

They "apologised"

Second time it was for disrespecting a Romanian soccer player for scoring an own goal
https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/sports/2021/07/600_312781.html

The MBC head honcho "deeply apologised"

Now, it's for a downright shitty "congratulation" extended to a Korean Judo athlete because he won bronze instead of gold.
https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/sports/2021/07/600_312884.html

Head honcho "deeply apologises" again.

Some of these might fly for a local sporting event, but certainly not for an international event as big as the Olympics. Apologies for using an SA example, but take a lesson from Francois Peinaar (former SA rugby captain) and his wife. They were VIP guests at the 2019 Rugby World Cup quarter final between the host nation, Japan, and the Springboks. Despite South Africa scoring match winning tries, Peinaar showed signs of exploding in celebration, but quickly restrained himself and gave a bit of an overly stern, but polite clap.

When you're responsible for broadcasting an international event on this scale, maintain a degree of reservation, respect and sportsmanship. Leave the bluster, mockery and bad manners to your viewers/listeners.

No class

Re: MBC in trouble for the 3rd time!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 09:28:40 am »
It's almost as if Koreans have no social awareness, huh who'd a thunk it..... :/

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 09:47:12 am »
Yeah, but it's actually Koreans who called MBC out on it to begin with, at least initially, especially since this latest offense doesn't sound as bad when translated into English (a lot of the intent gets lost in translation). Apparently it sounds a lot worse in Korean, and it was Koreans who raised their fingers about it so that it wouldn't get overlooked.

As a major news broadcasting station, this is some pretty embarrassing faux pas on the global stage, and it reflects very poorly on the country itself, so a lot of Koreans are up in arms about it.

Apparently it hasn't been enough to shut them up, though, lol. Head honcho can't seem to keep his company in line, so he's part of the problem. I can't imagine what the working environment is like there, seems really toxic.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 09:58:55 am »
The Bronze medal comment wasn't that bad...
"It was not the color (of medal) we wanted, but the player will be satisfied with his result given the sweat and tears he has shed over the past five years."

Uhh...seriously? That's it? Analysts and color commentators trash players all the time or give subtle digs.

And "Thank you, Marin" while not classy, is the kind of thing, since OP made a comparison, that would be considered "cheeky" if said by some English/Aussie/etc. commentator. You could easily see it during Euros if they were getting drunk on "It's coming home!" nonsense.

Like if Sky or BT Sport read off "Thank you, Son" in an England-Korea World Cup match he scored an OG in and Koreans lost their shit over it, the same people criticizing "Koreans" for having no social awareness would be blasting Koreans for being overly-sensitive and "not understanding football banter" and "It's just what we do" (i.e. booing another country's national anthem). For such types, they can twist anything.

Also, thank you Aristocrat and Chinguetti for rightly identifying the broadcaster and not "Koreans" as the problem. The country thing was shockingly tasteless and offensive, the "Thank you" chiron bad (In my view, though by the standards some apply, i.e. England, it might be okay), and the last one, translated looks like nbd, but apparently is super bad in Korean, to which I say those people need to relax. Athletes get criticized for performance. It's what happens.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 10:15:08 am by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 12:10:58 pm »

• Sagi Keun
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2018, 11:47:23 am
    • Los Angeles
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 10:41:49 pm »
Peinaar showed signs of exploding in celebration, but quickly restrained himself and gave a bit of an overly stern, but polite clap.

Well that's just typical old-fashioned politeness. By contrast most of the world has forgotten it's manners it seems.

I do remember him celebrating winning the world cup back in 95 of course. I had put money on them while everyone else I knew expected the all blacks to win easily.

I had inside information though lol.

You have to wonder how many world cups they would have won in all those years they were banned from competing.

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 08:33:48 am »

I do remember him celebrating winning the world cup back in 95 of course. I had put money on them while everyone else I knew expected the all blacks to win easily.

I had inside information though lol.

You have to wonder how many world cups they would have won in all those years they were banned from competing.

The Boks only missed 2 world cups, and I very much doubt they would have won the first.

As for your inside information, it wasn't the person who poisoned the All Blacks food was it  :shocked:? They were lucky to field a team come cup final day. Many were still weak and some were still tossing up right before kickoff. Even though I'm an All Black supporter through and through, I think the Boks winning the 95 cup was great for more than just rugby.
However, a fully fit All Black team would have won. No doubt about it.

# Modified for CO2  ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 09:51:22 am by Kurt Sorensen »

• Sagi Keun
  • Veteran

• Los Angeles
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 12:55:58 pm »
As for your inside information, it wasn't the person who poisoned the All Blacks food was it  :shocked:? They were lucky to field a team come cup final day.

Hilarious sour grapes.  :laugh:

South Africa was way ahead of NZ in rugby in those days. Banning them from competition was the only way you could win anything.

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 04:31:20 pm »
During the apartheid era, yeah they were better, but not leading up to the 95 cup. As for the 87 cup...well, we'll never know because the Springbok were not there. All just conjecture.
Also, once neutral refs were introduced on South African soil, the Springbok dominance really did end. Fact! Suddenly, it became a more even playing field. Even the most ardent S.B supporter would acknowledge this. This is why at home, they were nearly unbeatable for so long. It's not just coincidence. Think about all the rugby that was played before, and then after they were reinstated. Worlds apart. If you think banning them was the only way we, or others could win...well what happened...?
I've never been a one eyed supporter of the ABs, and I always love watching the Boks play. It's a great rivalry and never sour grapes from this end.

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 05:32:03 pm »

It is apalling that a world class country be denied competition for all those years.

By the time SA was finally cleared to play, they were still world beaters, but not for long because international sanctions had destroyed the country and then racial quotas and mass emigration. Given the amount of whites that have been forced to leave the country as a result, it is surprising they can even put a team together.

So...you're saying that the apartheid system was good, and that the international community's disgust of such a system was wrong because it took a stance against racism.

You are also saying that black and colored people are also the reason why South African rugby, and I guess other sports, was no longer as strong as before. That only white South Africans are worthy and righteous.

You have just turned a difference of opinion on rugby into a something staight from a white power meeting. Your picture of Mandela with Francois Pienaar was not about harmony, just a slight on Korea. What, are you one of the whites that fled to say...America. Or are you just a racist shit-stirrer. What are you doing posting here?

Checkout this site: https://rugga.co.za/rugby-championship/rivalry-in-numbers-100-years-of-boks-vs-all-blacks/

I'm not replying anymore. This is way off topic.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 05:36:35 pm by Kurt Sorensen »

• Sagi Keun
  • Veteran

• Los Angeles
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 08:16:21 pm »
I'm not replying anymore.

The Springboks were way better than the all blacks. Sorry you can't handle that fact.

the international community's disgust of such a system was wrong because it took a stance against racism.

You should never impose politics upon sport. The precise function of international sport is that nations can interact or compete in a peaceful way, no matter their differences.

you're saying that the apartheid system was good

I'm saying that rugby prospered in the country up until 1990. After that, as I have pointed out, the instability and economic decline that NZ and international sanctions helped to plunge the country into has led to its steady decline. You basically had to destroy a country just so that you could win a sports match again and repair your shattered ego.

Blacks generally did not play rugby, they preferred soccer. The SA soccer team is made up of black players, is it racism?

oh look...

A year after New Zealandís first COVID-19 lockdown, discrimination and racism are on the rise
May 9 2021

The experience of racism is skewed towards Māori, Pasifika and people of Asian descent
https://theconversation.com/a-year-after-new-zealands-first-covid-19-lockdown-discrimination-and-racism-are-on-the-rise-160858

Wow. I guess the international community should look into reconsidering New Zealands participation in sports.

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 09:27:17 pm »
Okay, I will reply. But really, if you want to talk rugby, and only rugby, then start a new thread. We are derailing this one. Not cool!

1) Read back a couple of posts and you will see that I did say "During the apartheid era, yeah they were better."

2) I agree politics and sport and all that. But this was more than just about a game.

3) Thank you! I didn't realize that I single handedly destroyed a country to win a game and repair my ego. I must be great. Now if you are talking about little old New Zealand with a population of 3 million at the time having so much political influence, that they convinced so many nations to go out and ruin South Africa all for a game of rugby, which by the way, a game many had never heard of, then shit... I do appologize on behalf of all New Zealanders, for completely destroying the South African economy, the morale of all white Saffers, and tearing families apart. I just can't believe that I've never read about this or ever heard complaints from my old Saffer mates back in NZ. Geez, I must be deaf and blind. Please link to some sources. I would love to read how terrible NZ was and how it sent South Africa into the dark ages.

4) Didn't know that Black South Africans didn't like rugby too much. Well they seem to of relished the chance to play, once they were able to be selected, didn't they.

5) Yeah, NZ does have racism problems. Always has. But, there is no apartheid system and segregation is not written into law. If you are Polynesian or Black, you aren't given 'honorary colored' status if you come to play sport or visit.

You know, you're here just making stuff up. 'Sour grapes this...your ego that...you destroyed a country for a game of rugby'...F%$k me! Hyperbole or what. I'm glad you think SA rugby was great. I agree for the third time.

One more thing; please say hello to the guy standing next to you with the long white robes and pointy hat, next time you go to a meeting. 

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 10:31:38 am »
Just play American football already so your players will be so concussed their antics will dominate the headlines, not global politics.

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 10:58:00 am »
Just play American football already so your players will be so concussed their antics will dominate the headlines, not global politics.

Yeah Marti, probably a good idea. I can't believe I got into a debate about who was the best rugby team over 30 years ago. Especially with a cross carrying, hooded-up, horse riding racist. Thank goodness a mod deleted his not so subtle racial superiority post. That Sagi Keun needs to be banned!

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2021, 12:10:31 pm »

Kind of why I stayed out of it. These guys are just arguing about rugby matches that happened more than 30yrs ago, but hypothetical rugby matches that happened more than 30yrs ago.

NERD ALERT!

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2021, 12:35:51 pm »
NERD ALERT!

Thank you Aristocrat. I have never been called a nerd before. Finally! You just made my day  8) 8).

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2021, 12:38:50 pm »
Thank you Aristocrat. I have never been called a nerd before. Finally! You just made my day  8) 8).
****** nerrrrrrrrrd
more gg more skill

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 12:46:01 pm »
****** nerrrrrrrrrd
I can't believe it!!!!!! Thank you so much Mr.Tyler. 60 years without a nerd, and then 2 in 10 minutes. And this one with an expletive in front of it. Oh, Happy Days...  :cheesy:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2021, 02:00:19 pm »
I can't believe it!!!!!! Thank you so much Mr.Tyler. 60 years without a nerd, and then 2 in 10 minutes. And this one with an expletive in front of it. Oh, Happy Days...  :cheesy:
Shut up, nerd.

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2021, 02:27:30 pm »
Three in a row. I bet even the best of the best nerds have never been 'nerded' this much.
'Shut up' or what? You going to call me a nerd again? You potential brewer of fowl foul beer  :wink:

And don't come back with a chicken joke!