Read 2175 times

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Starting to regret not getting a/c for the home
« on: July 21, 2021, 07:49:59 am »
There have always been a few weeks where I wished I had a/c in my apartment but just didn't see it as a worthwhile expense.  Spend around 600,000 won for something I'd use sparingly for a couple of months a year didn't seem worth it.  Especially as you never know if renewals will happen.  But, this year is going to be tough.  It already has been.  I researched it last year with a Korean "family" member because I was going to be stuck here all summer for the first time in a long time.  He said I'd also have to pay for them to come with one of those cherry picker machines to install a rack outside my balcony for the unit, plus the installation and the unit.  I declined and it was a pretty reasonable summer, but this year "fcuk!"  We've already had three tough weeks and we may have a month more of worse heat.  Usually I'm out of here for the first few weeks of August and I miss the worst of it.  Was not here for those horrid record breaking days in 2018.  Last Sunday my gf was recovering from her second vaccine shot so I didn't get to go over to immerse myself in her central a/c so I loaded a couple of books on the ipad and struck out riding the rails for the day.  Took the subway out away from Seoul and always had a seat.  Whenever I got hungry I would head towards somewhere to pop and eat.  Visited Songdo Costco and Gimpo Lotte Mall.  Didn't get home until after nine when things had cooled a bit.  This is going to be a summer of endurance. 

Re: Starting to regret not getting a/c for the home
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 07:54:54 am »
There have always been a few weeks where I wished I had a/c in my apartment but just didn't see it as a worthwhile expense.  Spend around 600,000 won for something I'd use sparingly for a couple of months a year didn't seem worth it.  Especially as you never know if renewals will happen.  But, this year is going to be tough.  It already has been.  I researched it last year with a Korean "family" member because I was going to be stuck here all summer for the first time in a long time.  He said I'd also have to pay for them to come with one of those cherry picker machines to install a rack outside my balcony for the unit, plus the installation and the unit.  I declined and it was a pretty reasonable summer, but this year "fcuk!"  We've already had three tough weeks and we may have a month more of worse heat.  Usually I'm out of here for the first few weeks of August and I miss the worst of it.  Was not here for those horrid record breaking days in 2018.  Last Sunday my gf was recovering from her second vaccine shot so I didn't get to go over to immerse myself in her central a/c so I loaded a couple of books on the ipad and struck out riding the rails for the day.  Took the subway out away from Seoul and always had a seat.  Whenever I got hungry I would head towards somewhere to pop and eat.  Visited Songdo Costco and Gimpo Lotte Mall.  Didn't get home until after nine when things had cooled a bit.  This is going to be a summer of endurance. 

TLDR I think you can rent an a/c.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 07:58:51 am »
Best of luck... who am I kidding, only one way to put it, you're f***ed.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 07:59:49 am »
Yes, you can, but I was told now the price had doubled by a co-teacher. 

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 08:03:10 am »
Best of luck... who am I kidding, only one way to put it, you're f***ed.

HaHa , pretty much.  And dripping sweat at the gym just while filling your water bottle before you've started working out isn't helpful.  I'm guessing they're hindered by some covid restrictions to really upping the a/c.  Two stand alone units at one end of a big space then a couple of monster fans isn't cutting it. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 08:11:22 am »
Man cannot live by air con alone.  He cannot live without one.  June to Sept it's on.  But, for the next one month it will be even worse.  I bought a nice efficient Carrier one that was quiet and cost me a million won cause I'm considerate for my neighbors.  Sadly, my neighbors this year didn't return the favor.  They bought the cheapest loudest most inefficient one.  In fact for the last two years I never had any problems at all.  But lately now all of a sudden my neighbors have their cheap loud ones blasting all night making an irritating hum into my bedroom.  Hard to sleep.  Sweet f I hate a lot of Korean uninsulated sound construction!!!  The only relief will be in another week some vacay and some desk warming where (maybe) I can take some liberty at arrival time and maybe sleep most of the day during vacation (which does kind of suck).  Still, I cannot live without air con any year.  But if a Korean is actually running all night (rare for them) my accoustics will be terrible.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 09:53:03 am »
Buy some air circulators. Stick them in the corners of the room and leave them running all day. Get some black-out curtains for the windows.

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 10:03:20 am »
A window A/C could be the solution.
Sure it's a bit noisy but beats feeling miserable.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 10:04:51 am »
Buy some air circulators. Stick them in the corners of the room and leave them running all day. Get some black-out curtains for the windows.

I'll have to look into air circulators.  Thanks. 

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 10:32:07 am »
http://rental-hi.com/kor/mall/view.asp?goodscode=102260941308110&cm_id=83102260941308110_1718_20210623_LJE_RH&NaPm=ct%3Dkrcuvys8%7Cci%3D09799b3795a5e319d12c811822b757e2ec1a23ca%7Ctr%3Dsls%7Csn%3D3963318%7Chk%3Ddbe5fed2e0f708baa2d037659b5fd513ec5e46f6

How is that any good? Locked into paying monthly installments for years. You would end up paying a lot more than the price of a unit. What happens if you cancel it before the end of the term?
Also, setting up would have a separate charge.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 10:49:12 am »
I'll have to look into air circulators.  Thanks. 

Also get a good dehumidifier.  Not too expensive.  I got one two summers ago and it's a game-changer. 

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 11:20:01 am »
Sadly, my neighbors this year didn't return the favor.  They bought the cheapest loudest most inefficient one. 
How do you know this? You've been inside their house? Like how are you able to know their A/C was A) Cheap and B) Inefficient? Did you dive through their trash?

Also, doing a favor completely unbeknownst to someone, without letting them know, and then being angry at them for not doing the same is some seriously passive-aggressive psycho boyfriend/girlfriend type shit.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 11:27:02 am »
Korean Sentry strikes back again!

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 11:46:24 am »
Off to Emart after I go swimming at the gym to check things out.  Thanks all.  Except Marty for doing his usual crap.  And to be fair, Adel, don't care that you guys popped in but you were both useless so don't want to direct thanks your way. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:48:15 am by OnNut81 »

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 11:50:04 am »
Off to Emart after I go swimming at the gym to check things out.  Thanks all.  Except Marty for doing his usual crap.  And to be fair, Adel, don't care that you guys popped in but you were both useless so don't want to direct thanks your way. 

Cheers buddy!  ;D

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 12:19:45 pm »
Korean Sentry strikes back again!
Middle-aged man not even living in Korea anymore posts again!

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 12:23:38 pm »
The Korean Sentry would be a sick superhero name tho
more gg more skill

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2021, 12:26:01 pm »
Sorry, I should have offered my advice: Bite the bullet and buy the A/C. Get a cheap unit on Gmarket for like 220-250. No, they aren't deafeningly loud like hangook77 claims. Realize that his claims are 9/10 psychosomatic nonsense. Pay the 1-200 for installation. Pay the extra 25-50 bucks a month in electric and actually enjoy life in your home.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2021, 12:26:37 pm »
How do you know this? You've been inside their house? Like how are you able to know their A/C was A) Cheap and B) Inefficient? Did you dive through their trash?

Also, doing a favor completely unbeknownst to someone, without letting them know, and then being angry at them for not doing the same is some seriously passive-aggressive psycho boyfriend/girlfriend type shit.

Well, how else would hear a loud buzz hum coming into my room all night?  Mine purrs very quietly.  I can barely hear mine.  SO, why would I loudly hear my neighbors from 2 floors up?  Of course some of it is the poor build of my apartment I think.  But still 2 previous summers and no issue ever till now.