Read 5842 times

Re: The Olympics
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2021, 08:00:22 am »
More reason to ban all russkis:
There's a sign that someone is unbiased and not prejudiced against the accused.

« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2021, 08:01:20 am »
Ultimately her opinion is far more valuable than yours or mine since she is an Olympian, while we're just armchair critics with nothing to lose either way.
It may be more valuable, that doesn't mean it is more correct or ethical.

« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2021, 08:04:04 am »
Anyway, back to the Olympics. Really can't stand the OTT Korean commentating cheerleading squad for any Korean athlete against their opponent. Very little praise awarded to any athlete competing against Koreans.
Now now, lets not forget the times they puff up the opponent so that when a Korean judoka with massive experience rolls past some guy from Trinidad & Tobago just happy to be there, it looks like a glorious struggle and big triumph.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2021, 06:11:24 am »
Confucius says that he who trolls with a wide net makes big waves but catches very little.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2021, 12:30:44 pm »
Confucius says that he who trolls with a wide net makes big waves but catches very little.

I thought Confucius said he who goes to sleep with big problem wakes up with solution in hand?

I guess he said more than one thing eh.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2021, 02:47:21 am »
I thought Confucius said he who goes to sleep with big problem wakes up with solution in hand?

I guess he said more than one thing eh.
Confucius, the keeper of sheep and horses as a young man, said there is strength in weakness.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2021, 02:35:58 pm »
Confucius, the keeper of sheep and horses as a young man, said there is strength in weakness.

That's what I keep defending myself with to my wife when I get drunk :-)

It doesn't work.......

« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2021, 03:32:46 pm »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2021, 06:43:33 pm »
I show support for the Turkish women's volleyball team. Some really stunning women in there!

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2021, 02:53:05 pm »
USA USA USA
more gg more skill

« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2021, 06:00:17 pm »
Sounds like someone is a sore loser.

It couldnít possibly be hard work and a healthy supportive society, right? Itís like, anytime America gets beat, which is happening regularly these days (see virus prevention), the world has to listen to all this long-winded cope from Westerners (hate directed at Chinese, Russians, North Koreans, etc). Also, it looks like MSMís forecasts on medals were totally fake news. They projected an easy American victory, when in reality itís looking very different.

Whatever troll!

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2021, 09:06:20 am »
What about on a per-capita basis without the Sara Cooper/Trump style? :afro:

« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2021, 10:22:07 pm »
For some reason I was so happy that the US captured the last gold.
I did not want China to be first in the Olympics at all.
I'm also happy that Canada came before Korea.

I know that is such a shallow thing to admit to but it's true.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2021, 10:34:08 pm »
I'm just glad that Korea won a medal over the weekend so that i can get students talking about it in our Olympic review class. Beautifully it was in the modern pentagon, so it allows a quick review of lessons on Olympic sports, given it included fencing, swimming, horse jumping and a combination of running and shooting redefined in 2015 as "laser run".

If not for that medal, losses in baseball, volleyball, golf and sport climbing would be the Debbie Downer menu of options.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2021, 09:00:36 am »
A happy shocker seeing Canadian women win gold in soccer. Watching de Grasse win bronze in the 100m and then gold in the 200m was cool. He looked "excited" after the gold!

« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2021, 01:30:24 pm »
For some reason I was so happy that the US captured the last gold.
I did not want China to be first in the Olympics at all.
I'm also happy that Canada came before Korea.

I know that is such a shallow thing to admit to but it's true.

Me too, if China had to snatch it we'd have to endure at least 100yrs of blowhard propaganda of how China is so great for putting 6yr old kids into Olympic training camps/prisons and pumping them full of steroids
just to get more gold medals than everyone else.

A happy shocker seeing Canadian women win gold in soccer. Watching de Grasse win bronze in the 100m and then gold in the 200m was cool. He looked "excited" after the gold!

Understandable. De Grasse was definitely due, for the longest time he's never been able to crack a gold medal, despite his freakish ability.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 01:33:21 pm by Aristocrat »

« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2021, 04:17:16 pm »
Me too, if China had to snatch it we'd have to endure at least 100yrs of blowhard propaganda of how China is so great for putting 6yr old kids into Olympic training camps/prisons and pumping them full of steroids
just to get more gold medals than everyone else.
No love lost for China, but the narrative of "humble western athletes training on the farm" vs. Eastern robotic lab machines in camps is rather hyperbolic.

Western athletes get access to state of the art sports science resources, some of the best drugs in the world, corporate backing, strong government support and all sorts of access to training and equipment. The fact that it's corporate/university-based doesn't make it less of a powerhouse.

Conversely Eastern bloc/Communist athletes aren't kept in concentration camps 24-7 ruthlessly toiling from sunrise to sunset on one single thing from birth till they're just a husk.

The U.S. does this a lot, like with Little League Baseball where they make it seem like some small town kids team is facing the entire might of Taiwan and thus that's why their victory is so great or why their defeat is easily explained.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 04:23:21 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2021, 05:02:14 pm »
No love lost for China, but the narrative of "humble western athletes training on the farm" vs. Eastern robotic lab machines in camps is rather hyperbolic.

Western athletes get access to state of the art sports science resources, some of the best drugs in the world, corporate backing, strong government support and all sorts of access to training and equipment. The fact that it's corporate/university-based doesn't make it less of a powerhouse.

Conversely Eastern bloc/Communist athletes aren't kept in concentration camps 24-7 ruthlessly toiling from sunrise to sunset on one single thing from birth till they're just a husk.

The U.S. does this a lot, like with Little League Baseball where they make it seem like some small town kids team is facing the entire might of Taiwan and thus that's why their victory is so great or why their defeat is easily explained.

Guy... nobody mentioned anything about athletics business and culture in the West being squeaky clean. What are you on about?

The golden age of Romanian gymnasts would strongly disagree with you on that one.

Regarding China, you cannot prove that they don't. I can't prove that they do. So, we're both left with our respective opinions.

I'm just happy that the loudest, most annoying and insecure regime in modern history isn't getting an ego boost. Then again, Taiwan got 2 gold medals and I'm betting the CCP is going to claim China is at the top since any medals Taiwan got are mainland China's medals.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2021, 09:14:05 pm »
A happy shocker seeing Canadian women win gold in soccer.
Why? I recall the women have often been a top-5 ranked squad. It's our Canadian men who suuuuck (we qualified for only one men's World Cup in '86 when i was in high school on the greatness of two Vancouver Whitecaps players (Lenarduzzi & Valentine: NASL champions) and we scored exactly zero goals in the tourney. :(