Read 2897 times

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Disillusioned people of Korean Ancestry
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2021, 07:51:15 am »
This is nonsense.

Koreans talk shut about other countries and people all the time.

Strawman.

God knows DeMartino knows his way around a strawman--he keeps bales of the stuff under the printer table. 

But this statement cannot be a strawman unless the statement that it contradicts was a strawman itself. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:12:55 am by Mr C »

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2021, 08:09:49 am »
lol this is gold

It's not that Koreans don't think bad things about America, but it's disrespectful to say them.
Koreans talk shut about other countries and people all the time.
Strawman.

:laugh: is that how you think argumentation works? "strawman" (and that's the end of it) maybe you've got some learning to do about western bickering culture...

from my low IQ point of view i can't figure out how this would be a strawman. in fairness, he didn't say that koreans don't talk shit, only that it's disrespectful. but then what is kimchininjas point anyway? that koreans knowingly do disrespectful things (talk shit) while foreigners are disrespectful (talking shit) out of ignorance? but that kind of ruins confucian propriety don't it? i really want to understand
more gg more skill

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2021, 10:49:40 am »
Right. Martino made a perfectly valid point. He makes strawmen arguments often, but that isn't one of them.

A typical DM-style strawman would involve overstretching the person's original take and assigning them some random position that they've never expressed. Something like: "You do realize that high-level diplomatic proprieties are as much a part of international political culture as Confucianism, don't you? Only an idiot thinks that all the bowing and smiles with Japanese, Russian or North Korean leaders aren't followed by some grumbling and muttering over bottles of soju back at the hotel. Do you seriously think that every encounter between a Korean and non-Korean is followed by praise for that person or country? This is usually the first sign that someone has never worked in a rice paddy side-by-side with Korean farmers, or taken a private jet with chaebol executives. The limited life experience of some people becomes very evident when they post crap like this."

OP: "Wait, I never said anything like that..."

DM: "Are you seriously going to argue that the entire media didn't take exactly this position after Psy's 2012 Twitter argument with Daniel Radcliffe, which all smart people knew was a joke anyway?"

OP: "????" :cry:

I only want to add that I have nothing to add.

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2021, 11:24:29 am »
Yet Americans do it constantly; they call this “just criticizing, objectively, free speech” and its an entire industry, and internet pastime (e.g. this forum).
This is true, a lot of bad takes/bigotry are passed off as this. And then if you disagree with their illogical rant, they blast you for not following the strictest rules of debate and argumentation.  :rolleyes:

But my response was not a strawman and the point stands- Korean people talk shit about other countries all the time and even directly to people's faces.

Get a clue. Koreans aren't a bunch of saints. They're scumbag POS just like everyone else.